• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sebewaing police advised NOT TO OPEN CARRY

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

springerdave wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!

Having seen a few LEOs recently take their ball and go home, whatever you do, don't get unduly worked up by those here ("here" being the board, not this thread) who lack nuance or who may beinarticulate on the subject of LEOs.

P.S. - A good way to see subjects across the US is to click on the main discussion forum, then click "Recent".

Again, welcome.
Advice we can all use,BB62.springerdave.
Waterfowl lacks neither nuance nor is he inarticulate that I can tell - he (as do you to a certain extent) simply lacks the willingness to apply some minimal efforts to his posts which would greatly enhance readability and communication - whoever the audience.

Wecan all post however we like, buta person who can't be bothered with such basic effortsis recognized as lazy and uncaring about their audience -whoever itmight be. You don't like it? Tough. It's reality.

G

imported post

BB62 wrote:
springerdave wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!

Having seen a few LEOs recently take their ball and go home, whatever you do, don't get unduly worked up by those here ("here" being the board, not this thread) who lack nuance or who may beinarticulate on the subject of LEOs.

P.S. - A good way to see subjects across the US is to click on the main discussion forum, then click "Recent".

Again, welcome.

Waterfowl lacks neither nuance nor is he inarticulate that I can tell - he (as do you to a certain extent) simply lacks the willingness to apply some minimal efforts to his posts which would greatly enhance readability and communication - whoever the audience.

Wecan all post however we like, buta person who can't be bothered with such basic effortsis recognized as lazy and uncaring about their audience -whoever itmight be. You don't like it? Tough. It's reality.
BB62, your message above, which I have highlighted in red, contains improper grammar and sentence structure. Please correct it so that readers on this forum can accurately understand the information you are attempting to disseminate.

autosurgeon

imported post

All right guys this has turned into a pissing match and that needs to stop!

This type of personal attacks makes the person doing the attacking look like an ass and sheds a bad light on the movement as a whole!!

G

imported post

BB62 wrote: Hard Target wrote:
I'd like to start a Toledo Chapter...
So, start one!

Get yourself audio and video recording devices, talkwith people from the northern end of Ohio who have had run-ins with LE, talk with people on OFCC and BFA's forums - then get at it!

If you are dissuaded from OCing by the reputation of the local police, then get prepared and start OCing yourself.

IF the local police decide to charge someone with disorderly conduct or inducing panic, it's much better that it be a local than someone from elsewhere - for a number of reasons.

P.S. - You may want to use the Verdana typeface for your posts - it is much easier to read.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Lthrnck.

Is it O.K. to use larger fonts? Or is that against your rules also BB62? You'll notice that I did use your prescribed typeface though. Slow day on the ohio forum? Darn, I forgot to start a new paragraph. I'm going to get called on that for sure. Might as well go all the way then, if I'm going to get in trouble.

MrsRuger45

imported post

KittyBomb wrote:
I know that feeling as well, the first time I went to buy my very first handgun I went to a gun store with cash money to spend and the permit to purchase. I was asking to see a certain gun in the showcase and he said something about me having PMS (???). He completely disregarded me as a serious customer and went back to talking with a guy who he was just BSing with when I came in. He made me feel like he didn't really want to sell a gun to a woman so I left. Needless to say he lost an actual paying customer then. I was not completely unknowledgeable about guns either, I had been doing a lot of research on which would best suit my needs, I even had a few in mind when I went to buy my first gun. I went on to Target Sports in Royal Oak after that and was treated with respect, not condecended to and they sold me two guns that year, one that day and another a few months later.
I can relate! One time when we were at Williams Gunsight in Davison, one of the salesmen asked me if I was looking for some hairspray. I told him that my husband & I both purchased our guns there &we were waiting for our salesman, Steve. I also made sure to report him & his comment to the management. Since then when we've been to the store & that salesman asks if he can help me, I tell him that he certainly cannot.

h2ofowl

imported post

BB62 wrote:
h2ofowl wrote:
i did refer the pd to this sight to review the info on open carry but until they do and until they talk to the local prosecutor the officer i know and talked to still advised not to open carry until they look into the law he or they know nothing about as of yet.
i will be dropping off the info i got from the portage picnic from you autosurgeon
to them today...
I suggest that you employ proper punctuation, spelling, sentence and paragraph spacing, whether you are posting here, or writing to an individual off-board.

If you cannot be bothered to take the time to do so, why should anyone A) want to take the time to decipher what you are trying to say, and B) think of you as anything other than an uneducated rube?

neither term used---hmmm, uneducated rube speaks of noones education!!!

h2ofowl

imported post

BB62 wrote:
springerdave wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!

Again, welcome.

Wecan all post however we like, buta person who can't be bothered with such basic effortsis recognized as lazy and uncaring about their audience -whoever itmight be. You don't like it? Tough.

RubberArm

imported post

h2ofowl wrote:
...Was told by the officer i talked to and went to school with and he told me he knows of no such law allowing open carry in mich.
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice the totally backwards mentality and attitude toward freedom?

Instead of being free first, and then having laws restricting our freedoms, this officer's attitude appears to be one where in order for a citizen to be "free" to do something, there must be a law passed that allows it first.

I'm afraid that a very large portion of Michigander's probably feel this way too.

B

Bikenut

imported post

RubberArm wrote:
h2ofowl wrote:
...Was told by the officer i talked to and went to school with and he told me he knows of no such law allowing open carry in mich.
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice the totally backwards mentality and attitude toward freedom?

Instead of being free first, and then having laws restricting our freedoms, this officer's attitude appears to be one where in order for a citizen to be "free" to do something, there must be a law passed that allows it first.

I'm afraid that a very large portion of Michigander's probably feel this way too.
The majority of folks I have had the opportunity to talk with about OC are amazed at the concept that if there is no law prohibiting a behavior then that behavior is automatically legal.

The idea that the lack of a law that prohibits means there is no prohibition just isn't a concept that most people understand now a days.

Just like most folks don't understand that the Bill of Rights are not things that the government allows the people to do... but is what the people have told the government it is NOT allowed to do.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Citizen wrote:
OpenCarry.org maxim: Don't ask cops about the law. :)

THis doesn't apply just to Oc either.

The other day I had to haul a rather long object that was hanging over my vehicle by 6 feet. A partner of mine swore that it was illegal to have that much overhang. The search of Michigan law was taking up valuable time so I phoned the boys in blue and was properly told such an overhang was illegal. Fortunately, soon afterward we found the actual law and suprise-suprise I was just fine. Printed a copy of the regulations and carried them and my cargo safely.

G

imported post

Typical.
But if we say "I didnt know there was a law" too bad. Ignorance is no excuse.
I wonder what their excuse is.