• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

yet another AL OC question

B1911

imported post

hello everyone I just came across this site today after I got home from being pulled over (tail light was out) anyways I was CC-ing, strange when hepatted me down and found my 1911 all he asked ifI had a permitand yes I do and that was it ...SOI live in Oxford ,AL and work in Anniston ,AL I asked the cop about carring open and all he could do was tell me fix my tail light and got back in his car and pulled off ....so can I open carry in oxford alabama or not its hard to hide a large handgun like this and I like to wear shirts that fit and dont droop im a clean person and dont wear baggy clothes and would rather open carry

B1911

imported post

thanks ..now all i need to do is feel up to carring it open with out fear of police hasseling me

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

B1911 wrote:
hello everyone I just came across this site today after I got home from being pulled over (tail light was out) anyways I was CC-ing, strange when hepatted me down and found my 1911 all he asked ifI had a permitand yes I do and that was it ...SOI live in Oxford ,AL and work in Anniston ,AL I asked the cop about carring open and all he could do was tell me fix my tail light and got back in his car and pulled off ....so can I open carry in oxford alabama or not its hard to hide a large handgun like this and I like to wear shirts that fit and dont droop im a clean person and dont wear baggy clothes and would rather open carry
What is strange is that you say you were searched/patted down when stopped for an equipment violation. That does not compute.

Yata hey

B1911

imported post

born and raised here in bama ive been stop many times but this is the first ive ever been patted down ...I wrote it off cuz the cop looked only a few years older than me so he must be really new but since then ive picked up a new holster for open carry but dont feel so great about going out wearing it , I stay around the Oxford ,Anniston area mostly and i must say I have never seen anyone other than a cop open carry :uhoh:so im sure if i started to do it ill get arrested quick im only 25yrs old so a young guy with a gun = easy arrest

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Just spent some time at school in Daleville/Enterprise/Dothan area. While there I was fortunate enough to attend and participate in a steel plate shoot match. Great time. While there I spoke to some off duty officers and was told that although it is legal to OC in Al, chances are you can get cought up in a "Disturbing the Peace" arrest if a scared citizen call the police on you. I was warned by these gentleman/LEO's not to do it. Some were also retired. I think it has to do with the fact the state is in the BIBLE belt. Not sure, and again I was visiting. I was able to CC while there, legally. If the law allows it, then why the hell can't we do what the law says without the possibility that we will be arrested of fined for it. Crazy world we live in. Gotta love Idaho, we can OC up here and the LEO community doesn't mind one bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jdgypsy wrote:
Just spent some time at school in Daleville/Enterprise/Dothan area. While there I was fortunate enough to attend and participate in a steel plate shoot match. Great time. While there I spoke to some off duty officers and was told that although it is legal to OC in Al, chances are you can get cought up in a "Disturbing the Peace" arrest if a scared citizen call the police on you. I was warned by these gentleman/LEO's not to do it. Some were also retired. I think it has to do with the fact the state is in the BIBLE belt. Not sure, and again I was visiting. I was able to CC while there, legally. If the law allows it, then why the hell can't we do what the law says without the possibility that we will be arrested of fined for it. Crazy world we live in. Gotta love Idaho, we can OC up here and the LEO community doesn't mind one bit.
Decidedly, OC is legal in Alabama and it is not disturbing the peace.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/30460.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/

Yata hey

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Oh I hear ya. I know Al is an open carry state and I do agree, it is not disturbing the peace. I fully agree. This is what I was told would end up happening if I OC'd in the areas I mentioned. I was told that if a women and her kid for example in WalMart see my XD40 and decide to call in to the Police then when they arrived I can and chances are be arrested or cited for "Disturbing the Peace" I know it is jacked, but that is how it was explained to me by several off-duty/retired LEO's from the area. I know, I can fight if it were to happen, but I was in school and didn't need the hassle, I would have been thrown out of the 30 day course.

Please don't mistake me, I wanted to and should have, but took a year to get into this course, and the friends I have who live there highly recommended that I not do so, they all CC around there. I know, it's screwed up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jdgypsy wrote:
Oh I hear ya. I know Al is an open carry state and I do agree, it is not disturbing the peace. I fully agree. This is what I was told would end up happening if I OC'd in the areas I mentioned. I was told that if a women and her kid for example in WalMart see my XD40 and decide to call in to the Police then when they arrived I can and chances are be arrested or cited for "Disturbing the Peace" I know it is jacked, but that is how it was explained to me by several off-duty/retired LEO's from the area. I know, I can fight if it were to happen, but I was in school and didn't need the hassle, I would have been thrown out of the 30 day course.

Please don't mistake me, I wanted to and should have, but took a year to get into this course, and the friends I have who live there highly recommended that I not do so, they all CC around there. I know, it's screwed up.
I understand what you are saying. Guess it will take somebody to take them to the bar - nothing effects local government officials more than having to pay out large settlements.

Shouldn't be that way, but sometimes it is.

Yata hey

Yata hey

B1911

imported post

thanks everyone for all the info one day im going to open carry and see how it goes

ProguninTN

imported post

I have spent time in AL, and have researched the statutes and case law. I know what your dealing with. Good luck. Somebody really needs to challenge the Sheriffs putting restrictions on permits. (It seems to me that they are legislating from the Sheriff's Office, when that is the prerogative of the state legislature.) Of course, rewriting the state statutes more clearly would also be effective.