Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Tactical Nature of OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    I just visited Evan Marshalls site (not the mandolin guy, that was just a joke) and read through the forum thread about OC vs. CC. and my fertile little mind started smoking and rattling and trying to work and came up with this question:

    If OCing is so bad tactically and just screams "Shoot me first" why don't LEO's CC?

    With them wearing a gun on their hip:

    1. They're going to be shot first when the go into the convenience store to get their snack.

    2. They're more susceptible to gun grabs.

    3. Something else I can't think of.


    OC and CC both have their tactical advantages and disadvantages. The "straw man" argument just isn't going to work anymore.

    But since I opened this thread, any other thoughts or discussion on the tactical advantages and disadvantages of OC?

  2. #2
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    The very fact that I am carrying a gun projects to the BG that I likely know how to use it.....
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  3. #3
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    OC:

    Faster draw

    Able to draw one handed which leavesthe other handfree to fend off anattacker.

    Easier tocarry a larger firearm (Clint Smith has said ""I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever.")

    Deterent effect. Criminals tend to pick "soft targets" --those people they feel either cannot or will not defend themselves. An openly carried firearm places you firmly in theCAN defend yourself camp. The CC argument of keeping the element of surprise doesn't really hold water since surprise is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. The very fact that you need to draw the gun means that you are already in a life and death situation and surprise isn't going to help you now.

    Ocing affects the BG at the stage of the encounter when he is picking his potential target and is a BIG factor in causing him to pick somebody else. CCaffects the BG after he has already decided to target you and is implementing the attack. IMO better to not be attacked in the first place.

    Spreads positive message that gun owners/carriers are normal, friendly, responsible members of society.

    Just a few off the top of my head.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    Deterent effect. Criminals tend to pick "soft targets" --those people they feel either cannot or will not defend themselves. An openly carried firearm places you firmly in theCAN defend yourself camp. The CC argument of keeping the element of surprise doesn't really hold water since surprise is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. The very fact that you need to draw the gun means that you are already in a life and death situation and surprise isn't going to help you now.

    Ocing affects the BG at the stage of the encounter when he is picking his potential target and is a BIG factor in causing him to pick somebody else. CCaffects the BG after he has already decided to target you and is implementing the attack. IMO better to not be attacked in the first place.

    Spreads positive message that gun owners/carriers are normal, friendly, responsible members of society.

    Just a few off the top of my head.

    Bronson
    I think that the deterrent is the primary advantage of OCing. It appears that Thomas Paine did as well.

    "The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
    Thomas Paine

    Some other advantages:

    Confidence in knowing that, if attacked, you can defend yourself with every available option that will lead to a life saving outcome for you and your family (this overlaps somewhat with CC).

    Heightened awareness of your surroundings. When I carry CC (which is most of the time) I tend to not pay attention as closely to what is around me. When I'm OCing there is a tendency to pay a lot closer attention to what is going on around me, especially what is happening behind and to the side of me.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    I seem to have missed the most important tactical advantage of both OC and CC: Freedom.

    "Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort the facts or even lie. Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed."
    Sara Brady
    Chairman, Handgun Control Inc, to Senator Howard Metzenbaum
    The National Educator, January 1994, Page 3.

    "If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler
    Chancellor, Germany, 1933

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Durand, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    69

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    OC:

    Faster draw

    Able to draw one handed which leavesthe other handfree to fend off anattacker.

    Easier tocarry a larger firearm (Clint Smith has said ""I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever.")

    Deterent effect. Criminals tend to pick "soft targets" --those people they feel either cannot or will not defend themselves. An openly carried firearm places you firmly in theCAN defend yourself camp. The CC argument of keeping the element of surprise doesn't really hold water since surprise is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. The very fact that you need to draw the gun means that you are already in a life and death situation and surprise isn't going to help you now.

    Ocing affects the BG at the stage of the encounter when he is picking his potential target and is a BIG factor in causing him to pick somebody else. CCaffects the BG after he has already decided to target you and is implementing the attack. IMO better to not be attacked in the first place.

    Spreads positive message that gun owners/carriers are normal, friendly, responsible members of society.

    Just a few off the top of my head.

    Bronson
    Exactly.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ludington, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Did you know that both the Brady and the Hitler quote have been proven to be false?

    emptypockets wrote:
    I seem to have missed the most important tactical advantage of both OC and CC: Freedom.

    "Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort the facts or even lie. Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed."
    Sara Brady
    Chairman, Handgun Control Inc, to Senator Howard Metzenbaum
    The National Educator, January 1994, Page 3.

    "If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler
    Chancellor, Germany, 1933

  8. #8
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Fishous wrote:
    Did you know that both the Brady and the Hitler quote have been proven to be false?

    emptypockets wrote:
    I seem to have missed the most important tactical advantage of both OC and CC: Freedom.

    "Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort the facts or even lie. Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed."
    Sara Brady
    Chairman, Handgun Control Inc, to Senator Howard Metzenbaum
    The National Educator, January 1994, Page 3.

    "If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler
    Chancellor, Germany, 1933
    Please cite the source stating they are untrue.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    Fishous wrote:
    Did you know that both the Brady and the Hitler quote have been proven to be false?

    emptypockets wrote:
    I seem to have missed the most important tactical advantage of both OC and CC: Freedom.

    "Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort the facts or even lie. Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed."
    Sara Brady
    Chairman, Handgun Control Inc, to Senator Howard Metzenbaum
    The National Educator, January 1994, Page 3.

    "If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler
    Chancellor, Germany, 1933
    Please cite the source stating they are untrue.
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-gun-ownership

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Fishous wrote:
    Did you know that both the Brady and the Hitler quote have been proven to be false?

    emptypockets wrote:
    I seem to have missed the most important tactical advantage of both OC and CC: Freedom.

    "Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort the facts or even lie. Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed."
    Sara Brady
    Chairman, Handgun Control Inc, to Senator Howard Metzenbaum
    The National Educator, January 1994, Page 3.

    "If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler
    Chancellor, Germany, 1933
    Please cite the source stating they are untrue.
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-gun-ownership
    I stand corrected on the quotes. However, the Brady website is very "interesting."

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Post imported post

    Especially since MS Brady potentially made a "straw purchase" for her son...nice job, Sarah. Push a law and then subvert it?

    http://gunowners.org/pr0203.htm
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    I really dislike comparing cop carry to average guy carry. I feel that the situations are too different to try to make a decent comparison. You're talking about someone who is trying his best to avoid any trouble vs. someone who deliberately steps into it. The reactions of a BG to those people are going to be different.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    I really dislike comparing cop carry to average guy carry. I feel that the situations are too different to try to make a decent comparison. You're talking about someone who is trying his best to avoid any trouble vs. someone who deliberately steps into it. The reactions of a BG to those people are going to be different.
    Agreed.

  14. #14
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    FogRider wrote:
    I really dislike comparing cop carry to average guy carry. I feel that the situations are too different to try to make a decent comparison. You're talking about someone who is trying his best to avoid any trouble vs. someone who deliberately steps into it. The reactions of a BG to those people are going to be different.
    Agreed.
    +2.

    I believe that the reason we are compared this way is a lack of a "frame of reference". Since the only ones generally seen as OC'ing are LEO, then it is logical for people to associate our OC with LEO OC. This is the most likely reason I get asked if I am a LEO as well. The only other "frame of reference" or "reference point" would be the "Wild West", which is the other item that we are "accused" of promoting.

    I truly believe that, over time, people will associate "average guy carry" with "Responsible Citizen". Until that time, I practice the following: "What someone else thinks about me is none of my business".
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    PDinDetroit said,"What someone else thinks about me is none of my business". Until they send details of your "fishy" behavior to the White House for government perusal.springerdave.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." --Adolf Hitler, dinner talk on April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitler's Table Talk 1941-44: His Private Conversations, Second Edition (1973), Pg. 425-426.

    This is quite possibly the source of the misquote I posted early that was attributed to Hitler. He did have guns registered (
    Germany had a gun registration dictated in the 1928 Law on Firearms and Ammunition. Hitler toughened this law in 1938) and used it as a means for confiscation - mainly from the Jews. Regardless of what Hitler or Sarah Brady said, the fact that guns on the hips and slung across the shoulders of the private citizen -whether openly displayed or concealed - is what keeps our nation free. As many have stated here and other places, when that freedom to bear arms is surrendered for the sake of those who might be frightened by a law keeping citizen who is carrying for defensive reason then we as a people will no longer be free but subjugated by a dictator.

  17. #17
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    springerdave wrote:
    PDinDetroit said,"What someone else thinks about me is none of my business". Until they send details of your "fishy" behavior to the White House for government perusal.springerdave.
    Really? I didn't know I was a Pisces! I thought I was a Scorpio...
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    emptypockets wrote:
    "Regardless of what Hitler or Sarah Brady said, the fact that guns on the hips and slung across the shoulders of the private citizen -whether openly displayed or concealed - is what keeps our nation free. As many have stated here and other places, when that freedom to bear arms is surrendered for the sake of those who might be frightened by a law keeping citizen who is carrying for defensive reason then we as a people will no longer be free but subjugated by a dictator.
    +1000

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    PDinDetroit wrote:
    springerdave wrote:
    PDinDetroit said,"What someone else thinks about me is none of my business". Until they send details of your "fishy" behavior to the White House for government perusal.springerdave.
    Really? I didn't know I was a Pisces! I thought I was a Scorpio...
    I thought what I thought about you was none of your business.springerdave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •