• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MY First OC in Medford area

We-the-People

imported post

First open carry in Medford/White City.

Well I set out for my first open carry beyond the local rural area I live and didn’t have a single problem or “challenge” all day……just the way it should be. In fact, at one store, I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction at the firearms counter.

Carrying a S&W 469 in a military nylon flap holster (only open carry holster I had).

First stop, the rural store 3 miles from home, been there OC before so no surprises, not even a look.

Second stop, Regents Blue Cross Blue Shield to pay my medical insurance bill. I was anticipating the possibility of signage or being asked to leave but again, pleasantly, not even a look.

Third stop, Chase bank (in the CostCo/WalMart/Lowes shopping center). I know the branch manager there but am no well know by the other employees. Walked up, did my business at the counter, THEN struck up a conversation with the manager. Asked him about the OC and he said “it’s legal”. Told him I’d be using his name if anyone ever got antsy when I was there.

Fourth stop, Sportsmans (62 near the Olive Garden). I was going in to buy a new holster so I unloaded, including emptying the mag and checked the weapon at the cust service desk as their sign requests. Asked the man there about OC and he said no but CC was fine. Told him I thought that was silly but okay. Went back to the firearms counter and asked for help with picking out a holster and in conversation mentioned the OC statement at Cust service. The guy running the firearms desk said “nope, you can OC, I’LL FIX THAT”. While selecting a holster heard him on the phone straightening out the Cust service desk. Bought a new open carry holster.

Fifth stop, WalMart Medford. Didn’t expect any problems, didn’t have any, and no one seemed to bat an eye. I figured there might be a customer that would.

Sixth stop, Big R White City. Didn’t make it in as it was two minutes past closing but saw no signs. On way back to the vehicle a lady was having problems with her tailgate and I helped her fix it, she didn’t bat an eye, but then probably didn’t notice either.

Seventh stop, WalMart Eagle Point. Didn’t expect any problems, didn’t have any. However, in the sporting goods section a young kid (8 or 9) with his grandfather (guessing) saw the holster and asked “Is that a gun”. I said yes it is. He asked “why are you carrying it” and I told him because our Constitutional rights are important”. Then his grandfather said “the only difference is you can’t see mine”. So we had a nice long conversation (grandfather and I) and he lives just around the corner from me. We may be cutting firewood together. I told him about OpenCarry.com as he had some questions that I couldn’t answer for sure off the top of my head.

Eight stop, El Capparal restaurant, highway 62 out near highway 234. No problems, not questions, no looks (seen) from staff or customers.

A good day and quite a comfortable experience. I was so comfortable by the end of the day I wasn’t even really looking for odd looks or anything.

Ironbar

imported post

Outstanding!

I've been open carrying here in the Portland area every chance I can get. So far not a single problem. In fact, I think the vast majority of people aren't even aware that I'm armed. Suits me just fine!