• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Informative "handout"

We-the-People

imported post

I'm working on an 5.5x8.5 (two per sheet of standard paper) handout that I can carry with me when doing OC. I'm planning on printing the legal reference page on one side and the questions page on the other side of the same sheet.

The idea is to have something I can hand to people who do say something about the weapon that can educate them and give them some places to find more information (like this forum).

I'm posting them here for any suggestions, corrections, or reasons why I shouldn't do this.

Thanks

[align=center]EXCERPTS OF OREGON LAWS FOR CARRY OF FIREARMS:[/align]
[align=center](as of August 2009) http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/[/align]
[size=[font="Times New Roman"][/font]][/size]

161.015 [/b](10) definition of “Public place”

166.173 [/b]Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.

(2) Ordinances adopted under ss (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

166.250 [/b]Unlawful possession of firearms.(see 166.260,CHL holders EXEMPT)

166.260 [/b]Persons not affected by ORS 166.250.

(1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:[/b]

(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

166.262 [/b]Limitation on peace officer’s authority to arrest for violating ORS 166.250 or 166.370. A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating ORS 166.250 (1)(a) or (b) or 166.370 (1) if the person has in the person’s immediate possession a valid license to carry a firearm ………[/b]

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380.[/b] As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:[/b]

(2) “Court facility” (it does not include municipal courts, however, the judge may be able to prohibit carry under contempt laws)

(4) “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall …….. other than a court facility.

166.370 [/b]Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions;…….

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.[/b]

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

166.380 [/b]Exam of firearm by peace officer;arrest for failure to allow exam.

(1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.[/b]

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
FREQUENT QUESTIONS ABOUT CARRYING FIREARMS IN OREGON:

Is it legal to carry a pistol on your side in Oregon?

YES. Carrying a firearm openly is legal in Oregon. There are a few restrictions but not many and those who carry should know them.

Should I call the police if I see someone carrying a gun on their side?

NO. Say to yourself “if they weren’t carrying a gun would I call the police because of what they’re doing”. If the answer is NO, then you shouldn’t call the police. Emergency dispatchers need to keep their lines open for EMERGENCIES.

Now if the person is waving the firearm around, walking around with it in their hand, etc. you should call 911.

How does someone like me know a person carrying a gun is doing so legally?

If you see someone openly carrying a firearm, if you see them at a vehicle putting a firearm into a concealed or open holster, or you see someone taking a firearm out of a holster and putting it into a vehicle, it is most likely that they are legally doing so.

It’s important to understand that a criminal with a gun is not going to let anyone see it and won’t leave it in their car.

Is it hard to get a CCL?

NO. Oregon is a “shall issue” state. Basically, if you are legally allowed to purchase a firearm and you apply for a CCL, it MUST be issued. If you are interested, see the OFF WEBSITE given below.

This is a public building, didn’t you see the “No firearms” (or similar) sign at the entrance?

People with a Concealed Carry License (CCL) are specifically exempted from the laws restricting carrying a firearm in public places, including carrying it openly, just as the police are exempted. The law is ORS 166.370.3.d and the definition of “public building” is in ORS 166.360.4

Where can I learn more about carrying firearms in Oregon?

There are many good sites on the internet where you can find an abundance of information. Here are just a few:

The Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF) is a great site and organization with lot’s of information about firearms in Oregon: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

OpenCarry.Com is a nationwide source for information, stories, discussion, etc. regarding carrying firearms and it has a specific forum for each state, including Oregon: http://opencarry.com/

Oregon laws pertaining to firearms are in ORS chapter 166: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Other Oregon laws which are referenced in Chapter 166 can be found here: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/

We-the-People

imported post

FREEDOM_FOREVER wrote:
I like the Q and A idea

Well, they're there because my first OC "questioning" was on my first OC (yesterday).

And 8 or 9 year old kid standing next to his grandpa looked me in the eye and asked "is that a gun?" Thinking oh crap, here we go I looked him in they eye (hey he's 8ish I wasn't too scared) and said "yes it is".

Grandpa turns to him and says "the only difference is you can't see mine".

LIFE IS GREAT

But I want handouts for those who go, "hey wow, how can I do that" or the "on the fencers" that might just not understand the law. As for the terminal grabbers.....screw 'em they can look it up themselves. LOL