• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is America Dead?

milkmanjoe

imported post

But what if this wasn't an old woman who looked like she needed assistance?

What if this was really a whacko dressed up, baiting the officer?

And be careful if you think this is far fetched.......men have dressed like women for the sake of shoplifting for a long, long time.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:

And be careful if you think this is far fetched.......men have dressed like women for the sake of shoplifting for a long, long time.
Quit playing "what if" and deal with "what is."

The thug committed brutality on an old woman. If he were an American soldier in Iraq, he'd be on trial for the commission of war crimes.

milkmanjoe

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
milkmanjoe wrote:

The thug committed brutality on an old woman. If he were an American soldier in Iraq, he'd be on trial for the commission of war crimes.
"What is" happens to be what we now know for sure, but can't be taken for granted at the time of incident.

And this is not about any thug or soldier, so quit playing "what if". "If" he were an American soldier...BIG "if"....and...."IF" my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

Right?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
milkmanjoe wrote:

"What is" happens to be what we now know for sure, but can't be taken for granted at the time of incident.
I could have sworn I posted a video. Yes, it seems I did.

We know "what is." The thug knew "what is."

The only "if" we're now debating is the punishment that the officer needs to face.

milkmanjoe

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
milkmanjoe wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
milkmanjoe wrote:

I could have sworn I posted a video. Yes, it seems I did.

We know "what is." The thug knew "what is."

The only "if" we're now debating is the punishment that the officer needs to face.
I saw the video...... the cop did not know the exact situation at the time of the incident, most facts came out after this video was shot. Cops rarely know a situation they are walking into, and I'm no pro cop guy, but I look at it this way...if you have to carry a gun for your job it's not a safe job. Did anyone wonder why none of those people surrounding this situation before the cop came helped the lady? They all looked on, doing nothing. Since I have read here that it should be pretty easy to disarm an old woman how come none of those people knew she was just an old lady and didn't disarm her?

We are not debating what the punishmentis, you are. And I wonder who appointed you judge, jury and executioner.

I come into these forums to learn and to bounce ideas back and forth, ultimately enhancing education of any sort of firearm use and the laws that govern such use. Posting a video and condemning a person is no way to be part of our system. All facts must be discovered, then an intelligent assesment made and an avenue taken within the laws. This country stopped hanging people a long time ago, now allow the facts to surface and the law to take its course.

imported post

if the cop doesnt know the facts about what is happening why is he/she rushing into it?

stop making excuses for little jackboot tyrants.

i suspect your opinion will change when its your neck crushed beneath the boot.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if these people "just happen" to be there and know how to use a cell video camera,(and how to publish it to YouTube) or if the whole thing was staged.

Everyone "just happens" to have a cell phone that can record video these days. My last 3 phones have all had that functionality.

Just think, for every time something like this "just happens" to get filmed, there are 100 times it doesn't.

milkmanjoe

imported post

o->i wrote:
if the cop doesnt know the facts about what is happening why is he/she rushing into it?

Cop hater, eh? Cop didn't rush, I remember a slow walk asking for the knife to be dropped. I also remmeber that this poor old woman wouldn't let go of the knife.

Your term "jackboot tyrants" is that of an imbicile. Grow up, let them do their job best they can, and if you don't like how it's done, don't criticize from here, become a cop and fix the system, maybe throw a protest.It's easy to throw stones, but a real man would fix the problem. But by the way of your writing the only way you would know the meaning of real man is if you read the dictionary. Nowhave an adult lockyour guns away, children aren't allowed to play with them.

imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:
o->i wrote:

Cop hater, eh? Cop didn't rush, I remember a slow walk asking for the knife to be dropped. I also remmeber that this poor old woman wouldn't let go of the knife.

Your term "jackboot tyrants" is that of an imbicile. Grow up, let them do their job best they can, and if you don't like how it's done, don't criticize from here, become a cop and fix the system, maybe throw a protest.It's easy to throw stones, but a real man would fix the problem. But by the way of your writing the only way you would know the meaning of real man is if you read the dictionary. Nowhave an adult lockyour guns away, children aren't allowed to play with them.

if you don't accept your jack boot masters, you're a child. only children resist authority...

a REAL MAN bows down to his costumed thug masters.

men in costumes with guns, do what they say or they'll kill you... be a real man!

ps: "imbecile"

MORON

smoking357

Banned
imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:
Your term "jackboot tyrants" is that of an imbicile. Grow up, let them do their job best they can, and if you don't like how it's done, don't criticize from here, become a cop and fix the system, maybe throw a protest.
so if I don't like how my trash is collected, I have to become a trashman? If I don't like how mosquitoes are abated, I have to become a mosquito abater?

It's easy to throw stones, but a real man would fix the problem.
That's precisely what we're trying to do.

Well, at least some of us.

Tomahawk

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
milkmanjoe wrote:
Your term "jackboot tyrants" is that of an imbicile. Grow up, let them do their job best they can, and if you don't like how it's done, don't criticize from here, become a cop and fix the system, maybe throw a protest.
so if I don't like how my trash is collected, I have to become a trashman? If I don't like how mosquitoes are abated, I have to become a mosquito abater?
If you don't like how your milk is delivered...

Xader

imported post

if you don't accept your jack boot masters, you're a child. only children resist authority...

You sound like one of the extremists the antis are trying to paint us all to be.... :cry:

imported post

Xader wrote:

You sound like one of the extremists the antis are trying to paint us all to be.... :cry:

how is it extreme to want liberty? you sound like an "anti", considering your avatar you have to be being sarcastic.

you're anti freedom. they are anti freedom. you are one and the same, you just don't like ___________ and they don't like _____________

all you have to do is fill in the blanks and we slide further into tyranny

smoking357

Banned
imported post

o->i wrote:
you're anti freedom. they are anti freedom. you are one and the same, you just don't like ___________ and they don't like _____________
One of the best posts I've ever seen on the subject of freedom.

Well done.

ghostrider

imported post

I’m going to chime in on this one since it hits close to home. My grandfather died of Alzheimer's, and I also had another experience with someone who had the disease, and caused an auto accident that totaled my car. My grandfather was a kind, gentle man who was known for his reverence and love of his wife, and family. Never would one have thought of him as violent. However, Alzheimer's patients can be violent, and angry, and it can happen at any given moment with no warning. It’s sad, but it is what it is.

That this happened to any 84 year old woman is shocking. I certainly wouldn’t have liked something like this to happen to my grandfather, but then again, it wouldn’t have since we didn’t EVER leave him unattended. That this woman’s daughter left her mother alone in a car just doesn’t sit well with me as one who lost a loved one to the disease. Furthermore, the fact that she was old and frail isn’t as important as some seem to think. I suspect their judgment is biased by their contempt of incidents of apparent police misbehavior (some justified, some not).

I find it interesting that chiefjason asks for suggestions on how to better handle the incident, and in some cases gets nothing of the sort. That hints at cop bashing. One person did state,
“a person could have walked up to her and disarmed her by hand very easily.”
Well, the officer did just that, and the lady struggled with the officer. I watched the video, and the officer first talked, then tried to pry the knife from the woman’s hands (this is at .43 in the video). The woman’s struggle with the officer prevents the officer from gaining control of the weapon, and at .45 I can see the officer’s footwork moving for the take down. The video is very poor, so it’s possible that the officer may have tried to gain control of the weapon sooner than .43, but it’s clearly obvious that the officer started the takedown at .45. On further scrutiny, it looks like the officer may have even tried for control of the weapon as soon as .41 or .42 (again it’s hard to tell because the camera work is poor at that time in the clip), but even if that isn’t the case, two seconds is a loooong time for something like that. Based on that (as well as the way they treated her on the ground), it certainly looks like the officers exercised restraint and good judgment. It really was a bad situation for the officer. She can’t just let a woman (who appears to not be in her right mind) walk around brandishing a knife. Like it or not, this woman was an Alzheimer's patient walking around with a lethal weapon. That makes her a danger to herself or others. She did need to be dealt with, and the officer tried to resolve the situation each time before escalating the use of force (even when the woman was on the ground they had a hard time getting the knife out of her hand probably due to them trying to not harm her.)

I’m looking at this from a perspective of it being my grandfather, and I honestly don’t think I could fault the officers involved. Maybe inexperience in the officer’s skills of physical conflict, but her decision process was IMHO very professional.

This statement is totally uncalled for:

"I'm pissed off that there wasn't a riot or an equal show of violence from the onlookers," Edwards said in an e-mail. "The elderly lady to me represents my grandmother and the oldest person of my community that has been historically targeted for abuse by police."

Sorry, but if your going to treat your grandmother like that woman’s daughter did when she left her grandmother in the car, then your part of the problem. That poor woman should have never been left unattended in a public parking lot like that. That is way too dangerous, and suggesting mob violence because you failed to act responsibility (thereby endangering your grandmother) is repugnant.

I’m no cop apologist, and I certainly criticize their actions when warranted (often time sooner than many others who are more willing to give up their rights), but I also perceive a certain amount of hatred toward LEO’s in general in this thread, and it is a bad image to project on these boards that will only further polarize the relationship between private citizen, and LEO.

There is something else I’ve discovered/learned over the years:

Many people (most people) have little understanding of violence, or even physical confrontation and use of force. Lots of guys grow up wrestling around with their buddies in the back yard, yet they have no idea how physical it is with someone who actually trains. Because of that, when they see someone who is trained, act decisively, they believe they witness an over reaction. It is telling that only one person on this board came up with a suggestion on how the situation should have been handled, and that person suggested exactly what the officer did. That officer did exercise restraing, and looked to treat that woman as if she were the officer's own grandmother whom she loved, cherished, and respected. That some people don't see that doesn't mean that the officer was abusive, it just means that they don't see it. Maybe it's inexperience, maybe it's hatred and contempt, but I viewed that video very carefully, and that officer appears to have handled the situation as best as anyone could have given the circumstances.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I’m no cop apologist, and I certainly criticize their actions when warranted (often time sooner than many others who are more willing to give up their rights), but I also perceive a certain amount of hatred toward LEO’s in general in this thread, and it is a bad image to project on these boards that will only further polarize the relationship between private citizen, and LEO.
Ah, there it is, at last. The outside viewer for whom we must moderate our arguments is not the average citizen, who most likely feels negatively about the police, but the police, themselves.

As cops are supposed to be servants and employees who obey me, it's troublesome to hear that they are not willing to provide proper customer service by reacting appropriately to their masters' complaints.

One thing I've learned over the years is that if you think someone else is boss, that person will act like it. Just some of that common sense life lessons you have to live enough to learn.

It is telling that only one person on this board came up with a suggestion on how the situation should have been handled, and that person suggested exactly what the officer did.
Sadly, there are some pro-cop, pro-authority, people in the gun ranks, and their membership reflects poorly on all gun owners to the outside world.

That officer did exercise restraing, and looked to treat that woman as if she were the officer's own grandmother whom she loved, cherished, and respected.
It's Chucky Manson's ethic: "Love thy neighbor by killing thy neighbor."

TheApostle

imported post

It sounds like it is time to start www.opencarrysteakknifeinyourhand.org.

The outrage of the police stopping someone who is mentally ill armed with a knife cannot be articulated. Who cares if she flips out and stabs someone? Call the paramedics and they will bring band aids and lollipops for the victim(s).

Shame on the 911 dispatcher for taking this call. He or she should have known this woman was just bearing her rights to eat at Outback Steakhouse. (Other purveyors of beef not excluded.)

Yes, America is dead, and a steak knife is the cause of death.

suntzu

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
OK, I'll play along. Woman with a knife, likely uncomplient. What are your suggestions? Tazer, pepper spray, planed ignoring? Have you ever taken anyone down in order to restrain them? It's just not pretty and you do it the way your trained. Yeah she's 84, but she controlled the knife and took her to the ground. If she was able to have a conversation with the LEO I'm sure it turns out different. These folks need to go home at night just like the rest of us. And FWIW I don't buy the idea that they sign that away because of their job. It definitely makes it harder to go home sometimes, but they have no less a right to. And if someone stands in the way with a weapon, then sometimes they get hurt. What will you do if someone comes at you with a knife. Talk them down?

she is 84 years old....and suffering from Alzheimer disease which is a wasting disease of the brain, and which will, if she lives long enough, almost certainly cause her death by itself...

so instead of using the least violent means of disarming an 84 year old little woman who was about half the weight of a male officer..he grabs her and uses a type of judo maneuver to slam her into the ground and causes her to have a head injury...he could have maced her and took the weapon from her and then washed the mace from her eyes...tasering her at her age might have killed her, a gun would certainly have done so... at his height, and the fact he was 30 years her junior, and probably out weighed her by 100lbs, and the fact that men are by far stronger physically than women--and especially elderly women....this "officer" slams her into the ground...

and this was not some mad dog female serial killer--this was an 84yr old little lady. she did not deserve to be treated like that. There were numerous ways he could have disarmed her that would not have caused injury to her.

I agree--that officer should be in jail.

TheApostle

imported post

suntzu wrote:
he could have maced her and took the weapon from her and then washed the mace from her eyes...tasering her at her age might have killed her... There were numerous ways he could have disarmed her that would not have caused injury to her...

I agree--that officer should be in jail.

Edited for ease of pointing out some more of the obscenely ridiculous points...

OC spray can cause severe respiratory problems. It can also kill someone if they are not monitored for breathing problems and then improperly positioned after exposure.

Tasers kill? Evidence?

As for a subject armed with a knife actively in hand. Tennessee vs. Gardner (1985) permits the usage of deadly force for the protection of the officer's life and others. Graham vs. Connor (1989) applies the reasonable officer standard to all uses of force. It is reasonable that a person armed with a deadly weapon (and has that very weapon) may be slammed to the ground. To expect an officer to get in hand to hand combat with anybody armed with a knife is both ignorant and hypocritical.

I am doubtful that anyone when presented with the threat of a knife is going to be moved by the spirit of Chuck Norris.

How about the anti-police people just say that they do not like the police and call it a day?

Gordie

imported post

Before you judge someone who is forced to deal with anAlzheimer's patient, maybe you should talk to multiplepeople who deal with it on a regular basis. Victims of this disease are very unpredictable and can be very dangerous. It is not uncommon for it to take several people to restrain a single "frail" old Alzheimer's patient. If you believe that it is so easy, go to a nursing home and volunteer to help these people for one day a week, after only a month, your view will most likely change.

This disease is one of the most insidious, horrible things that can ever happen to a person. It totally destroys who they are. While we should all have compassion for the victims of this disease, we must also realize that they are sometimesa danger to themselves and to others.

If anyone should be prosecuted, it is the daughter who left this poor woman alone in a parking lot.