Thread: Have to go to a meeting in D.C.

Post imported post

I found out yesterday from my boss that he wants me to attend a meeting in D.C. next month? It will be on private property (at a hotel), so no federal issues. Obviously my guns will stay in Virginia and I will take a taxi in and out. What can I carry with me for defense in D.C.? I usually have with me a 3" Kershaw folding knife, a Surefire E2D light, and a Benchmade defensive pen. Are these things legal in D.C.? Any other suggestions?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    I found out yesterday from my boss that he wants me to attend a meeting in D.C. next month? It will be on private property (at a hotel), so no federal issues. Obviously my guns will stay in Virginia and I will take a taxi in and out. What can I carry with me for defense in D.C.? I usually have with me a 3" Kershaw folding knife, a Surefire E2D light, and a Benchmade defensive pen. Are these things legal in D.C.? Any other suggestions?
    I carry my Kershaw folding in DC every day I am there.. never had a problem.. and so this thread does not get deleted.. I never OC my gun in DC.. but hope to someday. :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

You can also carry pepper spray...although it's impossible usually since about every museum, monument and government building in DC bans it as well as pocket knives. Most places probably won't hold it for you either (I know the Smithsonian won't.)

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

The best of good luck!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
    You can also carry pepper spray...although it's impossible usually since about every museum, monument and government building in DC bans it as well as pocket knives. Most places probably won't hold it for you either (I know the Smithsonian won't.)
    Actually...I'm not sure if you can carry pepper spray in DC. Check out dc 7-2502.14

It says that Pepper spray has to be registered with the DC police upon purchase, so I'm not sure if that means if you outside of DC you can bring it in unregistered, or if you are supposed to register to carry it in DC. I have heard people interpret it both ways. Also there are some rather detailed language about what pepper spray is legal to carry as well

"a person 18 years of age or older may possess and use a self-defense spray in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of the person or the person's property only if it is propelled from an aerosol container, labeled with or accompanied by clearly written instructions as to its use, and dated to indicate its anticipated useful life."

Post imported post

Thanks. I am not a fan of pepper spray, so not an issue. Sounds like a small folder is the way to go for me, plus my flashlight and pen as impact weapons, if need be. I will not be going to any museums or monuments, or any federal property at all, so not an issue either. I will disarm in my office, take a cab out of Arlington straight to the hotel for my meeting, and then straight back from the hotel to my office in Arlington, where I can feel safe again. I have no desire to do anything more than I absolutely have to in D.C.

Post imported post

Oh yeah...forgot about the registration thing. Last time I looked at their code I missed the part where it says only the registered sprays are legal to carry.

Well I guess that makes it official. DC has worse weapons laws than Germany.

(There anybody can buy and carry pepper spray with no registration. It does have to say "animal defense spray" on it but it's the same concentration as here.)

Honestly though, in the center of town (where the gov't buildings are) and in Georgetown, you are generally very safe. I wouldn't worry too much. It's the District of Criminals but most of them wear suits and have other means of stealing your money and livelihood besides direct violence.

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
    Honestly though, in the center of town (where the gov't buildings are) and in Georgetown, you are generally very safe. I wouldn't worry too much. It's the District of Criminals but most of them wear suits and have other means of stealing your money and livelihood besides direct violence.
    I would tend to agree with you, but it is a matter of principle nonetheless. Last time I was in D.C. was during a high school trip (almost 30 years ago) when I didn't know any better and wasn't old enough to carry anyway. I will try to make visiting D.C. as infrequent a practice as I can.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    If pepper spray is a no-go, get a small can of hornet spray...the kind that'll shoot out twenty feet or so. A blast of that in someone's eyes will drop them and willsend them to the emergency room. The last time I looked, hornet spray isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
    1+
    It is also easily replaced if you are forced to abandon it.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Bill in VA wrote:
    If pepper spray is a no-go, get a small can of hornet spray...the kind that'll shoot out twenty feet or so. A blast of that in someone's eyes will drop them and willsend them to the emergency room. The last time I looked, hornet spray isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
    1+
    It is also easily replaced if you are forced to abandon it.
    Well there's an idea for my next million... single use dispensers of "hornet killer". I wonder if it could be marketed and sold before the oppressive governments could outlaw it? Or added to the list of "weapons" you cannot carry concealed.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    SNIP hornet spray... isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
    Just watch out for the over-zealous prosecutor who comes after you for the federal offense of "dispensing in manner inconsistent with label directions."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

The last time I was in DC (for the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial) I was in the company of a sizeable group most of whom carried "walking sticks" although not as many of us needed them for walkingthen as do now. Just a thought.

Post imported post

I ALWAYS bring my "walking stick" when I go to DC. Its quite useful in museums where rude touristsand rotten kids can be speared in the top of the foot or quickly thumped in the back of the calf when they brush past you without saying "excuse me" or "sorry". Since I can't carry there, I try tohavesome fun when visiting the District of Corruption.

Get a nice, sturdy walking stick with a rubber cane tip. They're great!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    A Four Leaf Clover and a Rabbitt's Foot perhaps?

Post imported post

Honestly? Are you THAT paranoid ofa personal attack? You're taking a cab to the front door of the place, and getting picked back up in the same manner.

Please don't take offense, but sometimes we (myself included, as a citizen of NOVA) need to "Man Up" a bit.

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    gis wrote:
    A Four Leaf Clover and a Rabbitt's Foot perhaps?
    I was thinking Pit Bull

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
    Honestly? Are you THAT paranoid ofa personal attack? You're taking a cab to the front door of the place, and getting picked back up in the same manner.

Please don't take offense, but sometimes we (myself included, as a citizen of NOVA) need to "Man Up" a bit.
    Off topic ORCGUY....and I happen to agree. Many of these discussions are academic though. They aren't necessarily because the OP is afraid, rather, they are to discuss a particular area or situation and how to deal with it.

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    I believe antigued style black powder guns are legal in DC for OC.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    ORCGUY wrote:

Off topic ORCGUY....and I happen to agree. Many of these discussions are academic though. They aren't necessarily because the OP is afraid, rather, they are to discuss a particular area or situation and how to deal with it.

ORCGUY, peter map is right. This is a somewhat academic discussion. I have a long training history which covers a lot more than firearms, and I have been to much scarier places than central D.C.. I am, however a perfectionist and like to have the right tool for the job, when I can. It is also a matter of principle for me, which is why I have avoided going to D.C. for 25+ years.

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:

IMHO, paranoid would be not going!
    Having a plan isn't being paranoid, just prepared.
    If having a plan/options is paranoia then almost everyone is paranoid.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

get a small can of hornet spray...the kind that'll shoot out twenty feet or so.
    ...and a lighter.