• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have to go to a meeting in D.C.

gis

imported post

I found out yesterday from my boss that he wants me to attend a meeting in D.C. next month? It will be on private property (at a hotel), so no federal issues. Obviously my guns will stay in Virginia and I will take a taxi in and out. What can I carry with me for defense in D.C.? I usually have with me a 3" Kershaw folding knife, a Surefire E2D light, and a Benchmade defensive pen. Are these things legal in D.C.? Any other suggestions?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

gis wrote:
I found out yesterday from my boss that he wants me to attend a meeting in D.C. next month? It will be on private property (at a hotel), so no federal issues. Obviously my guns will stay in Virginia and I will take a taxi in and out. What can I carry with me for defense in D.C.? I usually have with me a 3" Kershaw folding knife, a Surefire E2D light, and a Benchmade defensive pen. Are these things legal in D.C.? Any other suggestions?
I carry my Kershaw folding in DC every day I am there.. never had a problem.. and so this thread does not get deleted.. I never OC my gun in DC.. but hope to someday. :)

Virginian683

imported post

You can also carry pepper spray...although it's impossible usually since about every museum, monument and government building in DC bans it as well as pocket knives. Most places probably won't hold it for you either (I know the Smithsonian won't.)

mkl

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
You can also carry pepper spray...although it's impossible usually since about every museum, monument and government building in DC bans it as well as pocket knives. Most places probably won't hold it for you either (I know the Smithsonian won't.)

Actually...I'm not sure if you can carry pepper spray in DC. Check out dc 7-2502.14

It says that Pepper spray has to be registered with the DC police upon purchase, so I'm not sure if that means if you outside of DC you can bring it in unregistered, or if you are supposed to register to carry it in DC. I have heard people interpret it both ways. Also there are some rather detailed language about what pepper spray is legal to carry as well

"a person 18 years of age or older may possess and use a self-defense spray in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of the person or the person's property only if it is propelled from an aerosol container, labeled with or accompanied by clearly written instructions as to its use, and dated to indicate its anticipated useful life."

gis

imported post

Thanks. I am not a fan of pepper spray, so not an issue. Sounds like a small folder is the way to go for me, plus my flashlight and pen as impact weapons, if need be. I will not be going to any museums or monuments, or any federal property at all, so not an issue either. I will disarm in my office, take a cab out of Arlington straight to the hotel for my meeting, and then straight back from the hotel to my office in Arlington, where I can feel safe again. I have no desire to do anything more than I absolutely have to in D.C.

Virginian683

imported post

Oh yeah...forgot about the registration thing. Last time I looked at their code I missed the part where it says only the registered sprays are legal to carry.

Well I guess that makes it official. DC has worse weapons laws than Germany. :banghead:

(There anybody can buy and carry pepper spray with no registration. It does have to say "animal defense spray" on it but it's the same concentration as here.)

Honestly though, in the center of town (where the gov't buildings are) and in Georgetown, you are generally very safe. I wouldn't worry too much. It's the District of Criminals but most of them wear suits and have other means of stealing your money and livelihood besides direct violence.

gis

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
Honestly though, in the center of town (where the gov't buildings are) and in Georgetown, you are generally very safe. I wouldn't worry too much. It's the District of Criminals but most of them wear suits and have other means of stealing your money and livelihood besides direct violence.
I would tend to agree with you, but it is a matter of principle nonetheless. Last time I was in D.C. was during a high school trip (almost 30 years ago) when I didn't know any better and wasn't old enough to carry anyway. I will try to make visiting D.C. as infrequent a practice as I can.

Marco

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
If pepper spray is a no-go, get a small can of hornet spray...the kind that'll shoot out twenty feet or so. A blast of that in someone's eyes will drop them and willsend them to the emergency room. The last time I looked, hornet spray isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
1+
It is also easily replaced if you are forced to abandon it.

TFred

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
If pepper spray is a no-go, get a small can of hornet spray...the kind that'll shoot out twenty feet or so. A blast of that in someone's eyes will drop them and willsend them to the emergency room. The last time I looked, hornet spray isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
1+
It is also easily replaced if you are forced to abandon it.
Well there's an idea for my next million... single use dispensers of "hornet killer". I wonder if it could be marketed and sold before the oppressive governments could outlaw it? Or added to the list of "weapons" you cannot carry concealed.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
SNIP hornet spray... isn't illegal to possess in Washington DC.
Just watch out for the over-zealous prosecutor who comes after you for the federal offense of "dispensing in manner inconsistent with label directions."

buzzsaw

imported post

The last time I was in DC (for the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial) I was in the company of a sizeable group most of whom carried "walking sticks" although not as many of us needed them for walkingthen as do now. Just a thought.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I ALWAYS bring my "walking stick" when I go to DC. Its quite useful in museums where rude touristsand rotten kids can be speared in the top of the foot or quickly thumped in the back of the calf when they brush past you without saying "excuse me" or "sorry". Since I can't carry there, I try tohavesome fun when visiting the District of Corruption.

Get a nice, sturdy walking stick with a rubber cane tip. They're great!

kenny

imported post

gis wrote:
A Four Leaf Clover and a Rabbitt's Foot perhaps?

ORCGUY

imported post

Honestly? Are you THAT paranoid ofa personal attack? You're taking a cab to the front door of the place, and getting picked back up in the same manner.

Please don't take offense, but sometimes we (myself included, as a citizen of NOVA) need to "Man Up" a bit. :uhoh:

9MM Owner

imported post

kenny wrote:
gis wrote:
A Four Leaf Clover and a Rabbitt's Foot perhaps?
I was thinking Pit Bull

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
Honestly? Are you THAT paranoid ofa personal attack? You're taking a cab to the front door of the place, and getting picked back up in the same manner.

Please don't take offense, but sometimes we (myself included, as a citizen of NOVA) need to "Man Up" a bit. :uhoh:
Off topic ORCGUY....and I happen to agree.:lol: Many of these discussions are academic though. They aren't necessarily because the OP is afraid, rather, they are to discuss a particular area or situation and how to deal with it.

Pagan

imported post

gis wrote:
I believe antigued style black powder guns are legal in DC for OC.

gis

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ORCGUY wrote:

Off topic ORCGUY....and I happen to agree.:lol: Many of these discussions are academic though. They aren't necessarily because the OP is afraid, rather, they are to discuss a particular area or situation and how to deal with it.
ORCGUY, peter map is right. This is a somewhat academic discussion. I have a long training history which covers a lot more than firearms, and I have been to much scarier places than central D.C.. I am, however a perfectionist and like to have the right tool for the job, when I can. :lol: It is also a matter of principle for me, which is why I have avoided going to D.C. for 25+ years.