• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault Rifle

r6-rider

imported post

i have a wasr. im all for fire superiority, i would rather have 30 rounds of a big bullet then 9 rounds of a handgun caliber.

5.56 is defiantly better then 7.62 though for home defense

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I have one for each hand... in case the Zombies come. Pre-ban AK clone and a semi-M-16 (half M-16... half not). Everything else gets 12 ga 000 buckshot or whateverI got on me at the time. .40 0r .45 somethin'.

Assault is a behavior... not a rifle.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
What would you do if the criminal who's breaking into your home has a "high powered rifle" that's only designed to maim, not kill??? Or what if it could kill even though it wasn't designed to kill??? And just what is a "high powered rifle" anyways? (Maybe Nancy Pelosi can tell us, eh? ;) ) Just wondering... Seriously though, using a centerfire rifle for home defense is a poor choice. Even frangible bullets will penetrate sheetrock and vinyl or aluminum siding. How do you know where that bullet is going to go once it penetrates the wall? Save your AR15 for the rifle range or your Rambo fantasies and get a good shotgun for home defense. For close-in defense get a Mossberg Persuader or Maverick and load it with#4 shot
+1 "Hey... Mr Badguy... what'cha got? "A Remmie 700 .375 H&H!" Wait... I gotta go get my 'assault' rifle... I'll be right back... "

AZkopper

imported post

Bill and Sonora are correct. You can't do a survey as they kick in your door. Pick a weapon system you are familiar with and suites your surroundings (ie: apartment, track home, ranch) and have it ready.

protector84

imported post

Someone once said that the pistol is to get to your shotgun and the shotgun is to get to your rifle. If someone is "trying" to get in my house, then I will have time to select the best weapon. However, if someone is already inside or the door is already coming off the hinges, chances are I will simply grab the first thing I can get my hands on. Any gun is better than no gun. For tactical purposes, if I know someone is already inside and is in the other room, I may select my Glock 19 9mm. Because it is small, I can easily manuver around corners with it whereas a long gun may bang against the wall or knock something over giving away my position. Because it is semi-automatic, I can fire rapidly enough to make up for missed or poorly placed shots. The magazine size (15 rounds) will also give me sufficient time before worrying about reloading if necessary. If the person is not yet inside or if he is and I know his exact position, I may opt for the Mossberg 12 gauge pump-action shotgun loaded with 2.75" 00 buck. One trigger pull will fill the bad guy with 9 33 caliber holes so I don't have to worry about much of a fire fight. The problem is solved as soon as it started.

Now I do have a gun reserved for serious intrusions which would be the Wasr-10 AK-47 rifle 7.62 mm. If more than one person and especially a whole gang is trying to get inside, I need a strong defensive rifle. Because it is semi-automatic and holds a large amount of ammunition in the magazine, quick firing without having to reload for awhile make it optimal. Mine does not have full-auto capability but if it did, I'm not optimistic that it would be tactical because it would burn up the ammunition too fast. With a crowd of intruders, you need to be very tactical because they all probably have guns and are using tactics as well. The advantage you have is that it is your home and therefore you know the territory and they don't. Chances are with enough rounds fired at as many bad guys as possible, the ones who are still alive will decide to leave and if they don't, chances are that the police would be there very fast.

I do think it is important to make some clarifications and corrections here. There is the media definition of assault rifle and the military definition of assault rifle. The real definition of an assault rifle is a defensive/offensive combat rifle that fires a medium caliber round and is select-fire meaning that the operator can toggle between semi-auto or auto. Generally, what the media calls "assault rifles" such as my own AK-47 does not meet the true definition of an assault rifle because it is not select-fire. These rifles would best be described as defensive rifles or combat rifles as they are still designed for such tactical usage even though they don't have automatic fire capabilities. As to someone's use here of the term "high powered" that doesn't apply to assault rifles either. A high powered weapon is generally a weapon with a higher caliber such as .50. These weapons may also have longer range accuracy as well. High-powered rifles are generally used for hunting and sporting and are probably not the best tools for home defense.

AZkopper

imported post

Correct, Protector, civilian market AR's, AK's, mini's, and the like are not "assault weapons" per the military definition. They are semi-automatic rifles. period. Just liike the old M1911, currant M9, and the Glock family are not "assault pistols", they are just semi-automatic pistols.

I wish we could win the war of definitions with the media.

azcdlfred

imported post

Doesn't that require a Class III (or is it II) Federal tax stamp, since an assault riflecan fire full auto? Probably not too many people have those.

On the other hand there are probably plenty who ownsemi-auto rfiles resembling military rifles :cool:

Fred

nova

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:

Doesn't that require a Class III (or is it II) Federal tax stamp, since an assault riflecan fire full auto? Probably not too many people have those.

On the other hand there are probably plenty who ownsemi-auto rfiles resembling military rifles :cool:

Fred
"assault rifle" is defined as a select-fire (full-auto, or 3-rd burst in addition to semi-auto) that fires an intermediate cartridge (more powerful than a pistol caliber, but less powerful than a battle-rifle caliber, examples include 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, etc.).

The semi-auto AR15 rifles and semi-auto AK variants available over the counter are NOT assault rifles, as they do not have full-auto or burst capability, they are ONLY semi-auto rifles.

A similar term, "assault weapon" was invented by the anti-gunners to describe semi-auto rifles that LOOK like full-auto assault rifles, in order to CONFUSE the public into thinking that the basic semi-auto AR15 at the gun shop is an evil machinegun.

I reserve the term "assault rifle" to its true meaning, and refuse to use the term "assault weapon" at all.

azcdlfred

imported post

nova wrote:
"assault weapon" was invented by the anti-gunners to describe semi-auto rifles that LOOK like full-auto assault rifles, in order to CONFUSE the public into thinking that the basic semi-auto AR15 at the gun shop is an evil machinegun.
Exactly! Every time we use the term "assault rifle" for a semi-auto military look-a-like we are buying into the terms the anti-rights groups have created. We are letting them own the language of our arguments. There is also no such thing as "gun rights." Inanimate objects have no rights. Andanti-gun is a misnomer. That diverts the argument away from them being anti-rights.

Alan Korwinhas posted a list of alternative terms.

Fred

usdm419

imported post

I too wouldn't recommend an AR for "home defense" unless you're living in a rural environment. My #1 go to is my 9mm because its on my night stand. If I have time to get to my closet then I can get my 870 with LE #4 buck. But my pistol is always my #1 because it is cocked and ready to go, and easy to grab and point should I need to in a moment's notice. It takes one hand to grab, point, and squeeze.

Pace

imported post

I have a baseball bat, its my "assault baseball bat." It's shorter than the average one, and looks really scary.

I have two SIG 556s.

suntzu

imported post

The only true "assault" rifle are select fire or fully automatic weapons currently in use by law enforcement and the military, and those among the "normal" population who have gone to the expense of obtaining a Class III firearms stamp from the BATFE, and then have paid the enormous monies to actually buy the weapon itself.

What the people can and do own are semi-automatic rifles that are copies of their military cousin.

This clarification is essential--because the anti-gunners are up in arms about a new "assault weapons ban"--we the people for the most part do not own true "assault weapons".

As for the logic of owning an AR-15 for close protection...I can see the logic behind it...just make sure of your surroundings before you bring it up--neighbors might not take kindly to .223 rounds flying through their windows if you should miss or your round go through the target...Now on the other hand--for secluded residential areas where you have no neighbors to worry about..an AR makes perfect sense--but an AK makes better...

me812

imported post

Correct, Protector, civilian market AR's, AK's, mini's, and the like are not "assault weapons" per the military definition. They are semi-automatic rifles. period.

I call mine "sport-utility rifles."