• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not sure if I should ask this, but

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I would like to open carry for the first time in the flint area tomorrow, but I am not sure how confident I am, if anyone is interested in lunch and maybe some other errands who would open carry with me to build my confidence and help me practice wash rinse repeat?

if you'd be interested, lunch is on me. I have a great Chinese spot.

pm me if you'd like my number or anything.

thanks
Kyle

LFB

imported post

Sounds like a good idea to me. I am new to OC also. I can not make it that far from home though. It would be nice to have a mentor program? Or am I just a wuss?

I feel as though I've been brainwashed to think that what I want to do by OC'ing is a bad thing.

Jeff

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

It is perfectly normal to feel unsure the first few times you OC. We have all been there. The most important thing is to know your rights and the laws. You will become more comfortable as time goes on until one day you wont be worried about it at all.

I'm sure that some of the members in your areas would love to meet up for lunch.

sevenplusone

imported post

If I lived on that side of the state I'd be happy to join you. I was a little tentative at first also, you quickly get over that phase and realize the majority of the people in this state don't notice. What few do are like you and I and encourage private fireaarm ownership. Those that don't, well, I'm sorry but it's too bad.

T Vance

imported post

Pretty much like everyone else said, but I thought I'd show you a trend. I too felt very apprehensive about my first OC experience. I just said to hell with it and dove in head first, and did it by myself (well with my fiance). I made sure I was up to speed on the laws I needed to know. After the first few days the "butterflies" went away. Although after my first and only (so far) negative LEO encounter, the next time I went to OC I had that nervous feeling again, but I didn't let it keep me from doing it and went on minding my own business and OCing. A few days later it felt normal again.

Just be confident, and make sure you know the proper laws and you'll be fine. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Kyle,

Sorry I missed your thread. I live in Fenton, but IOC around Flint quite a bit since much of my wife's business and her familyare in the Flint area. Maybe we can get together some time and run some errands together.

Do you have a CPL? That really enables a ton of freedom with regard to how you transport your weapon and where you can legally OC.

wally1120

imported post

I have also had a bad experience the first time that I Open Carried. But now that the police are aware that Open Carry is legal they dont`t bother me anymore. You willfeel Nervous the first day that you OC. After the first day you will just have a fuzzy feeling that you have a new tool on you belt. And more then likely you will get alot of comments from people because of you OCing.

Good luck,Have Fun,and Stay Safe

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

I stopped to look at a motorcycle on the side of the road the other night OCing. The owner walked out and introduced himself and then asked "Is that a PPK?" He obviously knows his guns since only the hammer and grip were showing so I congratulated him on his knowledge of guns and we had a great conversation. In my opinion, you will rarely have "bad experiences" because if someone does show their disapproval, you have a clear opportunity to explain to them or even attempt to change their opinion.

T Vance

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
And more then likely you will get alot of comments from people because of you OCing.
Not always the case. I have been OCing since mid-April (prretty much everywhere I go), and I just recieved my first comment from a stranger the other day.