• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doyle not running for re-election? Is he quitting??

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26145.html

Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle has told associates he will announce this week that he won’t seek a third term in 2010, POLITICO has learned.

By deciding against a run, Doyle, (an anti-2Adouche-bag) sets off what could be one of the most competitive gubernatorial races in the country next year.

The governor has been coy for months about his intentions, stockpiling money but at the same time not saying publicly whether he would run for re-election.

But sources familiar with his decision not to seek a third term say Doyle recognized the difficulties he may have faced next yearand didn't want to go through another campaign after a long political career. (I hope we OCDO membershad a little something to cause his "difficulties")

He’s had to raise taxes and fees while furloughing state workers to help plug a $6.6 billion budget deficit. In doing so, his approval numbers have fallen below 40 percent. And just this week, he faced the embarrassment of seeing his legal counsel quit because she hadn’t passed the state bar.

“His legal counsel resigns, poll numbers have been in the tank, the state's unemployment rate is hovering above 9 percent, he's bickering with Dem lawmakers on the Finance Committee, and he's taking shots from the Madison media over one of his appointments to the Dane County bench,” wrote the popular state political site Wispolitics.com in their insider “Stock Market” column last week. “And there's continued heartburn among Dems because he still hasn't officially announced if he's running for governor next year. It all adds up to a rough patch for the guv, insiders from both sides say.”

National Democratic strategists privately expressed concern about Doyle’s re-election prospects, especially in the face of a strong GOP field that includes Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker and former Rep. Mark Neumann."It's not the worst thing in the world," said one top Democrat, citing Doyle's declining popularity and a solid bench of prospective Democratic candidates.

Doyle's office did not respond to POLITICO's inquiries, but subsequently issued a one-sentence statement to Wisconsin reporters indicating that the governor would make an announcement Monday about his intentions.

With Doyle retiring, a slew of Wisconsin demo-crapsare likely to consider the race. That list is topped by Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton, who has already indicated she would run if Doyle does not and who would be the state’s first female governor.

By next year, though, Lawton may be running as an incumbent.

For months, buzz has circulated in Wisconsin and national political circles that Doyle is in line for an Obama administration post. The governor got behind the president early in the Democratic race, well before the Wisconsin primary in which Obama thumpedBillary Clintler

When asked about a prospective Obama post by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel last month, Doyle issued a statement with ample wiggle room.

"I have never ever asked for any [Washington] position,” the governor said. “I've never asked anybody on my behalf to ask for any position. I have no intention of doing anything but serving out this term."

But both Doyle, 63, and his wife hail from prominent political families and an administration job may represent a capstone to a career that has included time in the Peace Corps, as Dane County (Madison) attorney and as state attorney general.

In addition to Lawton, other potential Democratic gubernatorial candidates include Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, Rep. Ron Kind and state Sen. Jon Erpenbach. <<< (a whole other world of douchebaggery just waiting to happen)

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26145.html#ixzz0OJI7CyZt

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman:

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WIN VOLUNTEERS!

DOYLE BOWS OUT: MISSION #1 ACCOMPLISHED!

Per our mission statement from day one, our goal was to remove Doyle from office
by any means be it recall, election, conviction, or by his own hand.
Independent news sources have now confirmed
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26145.html> what we suspected since
May 15th, and what our inside sources insisted was inevitable by late July when
we suspended the recall.

DOYLE IS CALLING IT QUITS AND WILL NOT SEEK RE-ELECTION!

MISSION #2: RESTORE SANITY TO THE OFFICE OF GOVERNOR

Take a bow. Your efforts and those of many other groups and individuals have
created enough pressure to force Doyle to retreat. But, our job is only half
done. Our mission will only be complete when corruption, unethical behavior, and
fiscal insanity are replaced with honesty, integrity, and financial stability.
Doyle's henchman and his campaign warchest of special interest money still lurk
in the shadows. Look for them to creep out of the woodwork in the weeks to come
to claim the spoils. We urge all concerned Wisconsites to stick together and
redouble our efforts to finally stop the looting of Wisconsin's future.

WE MUST ACT TO SAVE WISCONSIN AT THE NEXT ELECTION!

Watch for news, updates and our new website! Call or e-mail your thoughts and
suggestions.

YES WE CAN ... AND WE WILL . . . CHANGE HAS COME! Let's keep it coming!

Code:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Just a little something about the state employee furloughs.

Did you know that for every state employee that is in a 24/7 position such a State Troopers, Hospital workers and Corrections. When the employee is off for a furlough day their position will be filled by another employee working at the rate of time and a half?

That's right at the institution I work at there are approximately 200 state employees that will take 16 days furlough creating 3200 days of overtime at 8 hours a day with the average day of overtime costing the taxpayers approximately $250.00 per shift.

3200 X 250.00 =$800,000.00 in over time at one institution alone.
There are approximately 39 Correctional Institutions and Centers through out Wisconsin.

Many of them have more than 200 employees.

The state employee furloughs are costing the taxpayers Millions of dollars and they don't even know it.

Just another of Jim "Bernie Madoff" Doyle's plans to help save the state money!
Why isn't this guy being indicted?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
They are lining up with their hands out.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doyle's henchman and his campaign warchest of special interest money still lurk
in the shadows. Look for them to creep out of the woodwork in the weeks to come to claim the spoils. We urge all concerned Wisconsites to stick together and
redouble our efforts to finally stop the looting of Wisconsin's future.

Nutczak

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Did you know that for every state employee that is in a 24/7 position such a State Troopers, Hospital workers and Corrections. When the employee is off for a furlough day their position will be filled by another employee working at the rate of time and a half?

That's right at the institution I work at there are approximately 200 state employees that will take 16 days furlough creating 3200 days of overtime at 8 hours a day with the average day of overtime costing the taxpayers approximately $250.00 per shift.

There are approximately 39 Correctional Institutions and Centers through out Wisconsin.

The state employee furloughs are costing the taxpayers Millions of dollars and they don't even know it.

Do you have any cites to this? If true I see a revolt of epic proportions happening real quick.

Also, anyone heard of the CA deficit?I would like to know what the WI deficit is based per-capita. I have heard we are way worse off than CA right now! Not total debvt amount, but broken down per-capita. (the part that really matters IMO)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

Do you have any cites to this? If true I see a revolt of epic proportions happening real quick.

Also, anyone heard of the CA deficit?I would like to know what the WI deficit is based per-capita. I have heard we are way worse off than CA right now! Not total debvt amount, but broken down per-capita. (the part that really matters IMO)
Cites! Hahaha! Yes dear God I not only have cites I have the copy of the issued state furlough plan that was issued to me as a state employee. Even though it is watermarked "Not for distribution."
Fox 6 news in Milwaukee is doing an investigation on this as we speak or type. (which ever you prefer)
Every word I have typed here is the honest truth. I, unlike Doyle have nothing to hide.

Want to hear more? The state has decided that Wardens and Nurses do not have to take furloughs. These are among the highest paid state employees and they are also salaried.
That means that if they took a furlough day no one would have to replace them and even if they did state employees who are salaried do not get paid overtime.

Nice huh? I guess what the Taxpayers don't know..........

Nutczak

imported post

I was not doubting your statement, I was just hoping to have something I could use as evidence as I spread the word,
I tend to stir up the cesspool once in a while to get people as pissed-off as I usually am about our current govt endorsed thieves and liars

JimE

imported post

The news showed a handful of potential gov candidates...including Barrett.

I don't stay up-to-date with too much politics, but how are the odds we might end up with a worse anti-2A gov than Doyle? I suppose I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here...

kevlub

imported post

I have my first furlough day coming up Sunday. I will use it to go to the open carry picnic in St. Croix County. To cover it, I already worked a shift of overtime at time and a half, so I'm already ahead of what I would have made without this genious furlough plan....

I had an upper managment person tell me they are just "trying to make Madison happy" and they fully understand it is doing more harm than good. They are estimating in the neighborhood of 1.2 MILLION dollars where I work. Go Madison!!!

gbu28

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

I work in a small corner of a relatively big department of the State and am in a position to see many of the nuances regarding these furloughs. I don't want to give away too much info lest my identity be exposed but suffice it to say, the net effect for our area at least is an increase in payroll, for much the same reasons you cite.

Also, the few employees who will actually receive less realized annual pay will mostly be on the low-end of the scale like custodians, who already make a paltry sum. The real interesting part is those non-unionized higher ups (I'm avoiding using specific employee classifications as it may identify my agency) knew the freeze was coming and many got big increases just before the ax fell. So take away the ~3% and some are still looking at double digit increases.

And as a union employee (by law, not by choice), I received my , I think 2% increase, with 3% deduction leaving me at a net %1. Contrast with a few of my friends who graduated years ago in the same field as me and they're making more than twice what I do.

So some might have an argument about state employees raking it in but that would be limited to higher ups, not the rank and file.

Since Doyle announced he won't run again, the air just seems fresher and food seems to taste better.

Athena

imported post

Although I am quite pleased that Doyle isn't running again, I'm not going to celebrate just yet. This leaves the door open for another Dem. to run while being able to rightfully claim that our deficit/problems/etc aren't his fault as he wasn't in office.

"I'm the new guy. You can't blame me for Doyle's mistakes. I'm different than him."

Apparently Tommy Thompson hasn't rulled out running again. Although I like his brother better, either would be a vast improvement upon the current situation.

Hillmann

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Nothing was accomplished when Thompson was in office either.

What did he do for Wisconsin really?
I am not for sure but didnt article 1, section 25 become part of our constution under Thompson. Althoug he also didn't help our debt by passing Badger Care.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Nothing was accomplished when Thompson was in office either.

What did he do for Wisconsin really?
I am not for sure but didnt article 1, section 25 become part of our constution under Thompson. Althoug he also didn't help our debt by passing Badger Care.
I think it did during his time in office, although that doesn't mean he had anything to do with it. I believe every state has a similar provision in their constitutions.

More than likely it was attached to some other bill and he didn't even realize it.