• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Person to Person Gun Sale Legal Form

trajandan

imported post

Hi Everyone...glad I found this forum. I live in Arizona and I know that we can sell person to person with no problems, but as a responsible gun owner, I want to be as safe as possible. I am considering selling a few of my guns that I don't use much anymore and I'd like to know if anyone is willing to share their legal form for these types of transfers. I have seen them before but don't know where to get one and I feel it's important even if not required...thanks!

Dan

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

What exactly are you trying to achieve by recording the transfer?

Just sell the gun and be done with it, no paperwork required.

A strategic upside to private transfers is that you help break the chain of surveillance on who owns guns in America, making it that much more difficult to enact restrictions on ownership or carry out confiscation.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

trajandan wrote:
Hi Everyone...glad I found this forum. I live in Arizona and I know that we can sell person to person with no problems, but as a responsible gun owner, I want to be as safe as possible. I am considering selling a few of my guns that I don't use much anymore and I'd like to know if anyone is willing to share their legal form for these types of transfers. I have seen them before but don't know where to get one and I feel it's important even if not required...thanks!

Dan
Why would you need a form?

This reminds me of a story I heard from the early 80's. Some Russian tourists were in New York having a discussion amongst themselves when they needed an American to settle the question.

One Russian woman asked an American: "Do you have papers that allow you to travel from state to state?"

The American replied: "Of course, not."

Whereupon the Russian turned to her friend and said: "See? I told you they couldn't travel between the states."

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

trajandan wrote:

Dan
Nice, one post from some guy who will probably never come back to read the replies... Asking a question that doesn't even make sense.

"May I see the legal form that you guys have for selling stuff that there is no possibly, useful reason to have any record of? I've seen 'em! I know you got 'em!"

What State/Country does this guy live in? He doesn't even say...

What's that smell?

joshuaeberly

imported post

ixtow wrote:
trajandan wrote:

Dan
Nice, one post from some guy who will probably never come back to read the replies... Asking a question that doesn't even make sense.

"May I see the legal form that you guys have for selling stuff that there is no possibly, useful reason to have any record of? I've seen 'em! I know you got 'em!"

What State/Country does this guy live in? He doesn't even say...

What's that smell?
he does say, please read the OP before trashing the guy.

personally, I keep a record of every handgun I am forced to part with, my state has a record of me owning it, and I don't feel like facing charges 10 years down the road because the staties lost their paperwork and still have it registered to me if something happens.

personally, if I don't know you, you will have either a CPL or a Pistol purchase permit to buy a long gun from me, wouldn't want something nasty on my conscience.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

If you are really worried, ask to see a state id so you know you are
not breaking the law. After that there isn't much you can do, you don't
have access to the police files.
But if the buyer is covered in gang banger / prison tattoos walk away from the sale.

But if you did actually sell a gun to someone who used it in a crime,
they would probably love that you can testify you sold him the gun
so they can lock him up.
Yes, I am that naive.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

r6-rider

imported post

be responsible by always carrying and try to determine who is it you are about to sell to (usually phone conversation) i have turned down 3 firearm sales due to multiple reasons, from "oh i dont have an AZ license yet but im planning on moving here" or the ones who barely speak english yet they want to buy a gun when they are clearly illegal. i wont even meet them in person to find out if i believe my personal safety is in danger. just be aware and use commen sense really, iv met alot of cool people during firearm sales you just have to watch out for the occasional sales that just dont feel right.

also, DO NOT be that guy who wont sell to ADULTS under 21. nothing pisses me off more then driving 30+ miles to buy a pistol and the asshole goes "oh wait your not 21... i think you need parent permission or something":banghead:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

trajandan wrote:

Dan
What part of "private sale" don't people understand?

OK, sorry, :Djust had to say that, just like those concealed-only-carriers who say "concealed means concealed" or whatever. . . .

Look, we don't want gun sales and ownership tracked as a strategic hedge against future gun control expansion and confiscation - private sales allow the gun tracing system from manufacturer/importer to first dealer to first retail buyer to break down - a typical gun will have many owners in that gun's lifetime - many or most guns in America today are not owned by anyone traceable by federal or state records. That's the way it should be.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
DO NOT be that guy who wont sell to ADULTS under 21. nothing pisses me off more then driving 30+ miles to buy a pistol and the @#$% goes "oh wait your not 21... i think you need parent permission or something":banghead:

Iwouldn't sell guns or ammo to anyone under 21 years old. If you're not old enough to drink you're not old enough to buy a gun from me.

:celebrate

G

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
r6-rider wrote:
DO NOT be that guy who wont sell to ADULTS under 21. nothing pisses me off more then driving 30+ miles to buy a pistol and the @#$% goes "oh wait your not 21... i think you need parent permission or something":banghead:

Iwouldn't sell guns or ammo to anyone under 21 years old. If you're not old enough to drink you're not old enough to buy a gun from me.

Why not?

r6-rider

imported post

yea makes sense because drinking and firearm sales totally fall under the same category:quirky

but its ok, i just do what everyone does with businesses, take my money elsewhere. just kinda frustrates me sometimes because iv seen a couple people, over 21, perform the most un-safe acts with their pistols (twirling while loaded, pointing it at people without making sure its clear, pointing it in the air while hitting the pistol, with a live round jammed in the chamber and finger still on the trigger) yet they wont sell to me even though i do have prior firearm training, i am in the military, and i completely seal the deal. until they see my ID, and automatically assume i must not be old enough or mature enough even though they were just about to sell it to me thinking i was 21+

Seigi

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
r6-rider wrote:

Who said they're not old enough to drink? The Federal government. The state legislatures passed the restriction but they did it under the combined influence of threat of loss of highway funding and cowardice. Make no mistake, it was a Federal decision.

Now it's a matter of law that 18-20 can't drink, but it's a matter only of your personal policy that you won't sell a gun to them. Yet you reference only a decision by the Federal government in explaining such a policy. Is it always your custom to so honor the opinions of the Federal government in matters of your own discretion? They have some interesting opinions regarding the ownership of guns in D.C. - these opinions are legally binding in D.C.. Do you abide by them while you are in Tenessee in recognition of their source's wisdom? Or is the blind acceptance and expansion of a Federal decision to limit freedom without mention of any other supporting reasons a poor practice? Perhaps it is even indicative of a degree of disregard for personal dignity, responsibility, and freedom?