• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full day of OC Medford area

We-the-People

imported post

Well my second day of OC in the area. I noticed a few looks but most of them seemed more of the "I want to see what he's got but don't want to stare" types. Nothing that resembled an "oh my gawd" expression from anyone.

Accent Spas on 99 South of Pine st. - Manager (not sure if he was the owner) is pro 2A and supportive but doesn't OC at business to avoid conflict with any anti customers.

Mobile Madness on Riverside -

McDonalds on McAndrews near Biddle -

Radio Shack, Biddle -

Bi-Mart, Biddle -

BlackBird -

Sportsmans Warehouse -

Big R -

Walmart, Eagle Point -

A cousins house (left the weapons in the car though) -

I noticed a few quick glances, some repeatedly but they seemed to be the kind of looks that were just "verifying what they thought they saw" with a couple of eceptions that seemed to be more of the "I want to check it out but not stare" type.

We purchased a rifle at Sportsmans, S&W MP4, 200 rounds of ammo, and a spare mag. It's a gift for the son in law when he returns from Act Duty overseas in 4 years. You just never know when another "assault rifle" ban is going to come up.

At Big R the wife spotted a speed loader she wanted for her CC S&W 38 airweight. Asked the clerk about clearing the weapon and he said "no problem". Checked that the speed loader would work on the tiny revolver and purchased it and a holder. Interestingly, the speedloader just BARELY clears the frame (some interference but doable) so she's going to have to practice/train a bit with it to ensure she's able to do it in a stressed environment. All the more reason for a semi-auto CC I told her. LOL She also looked at a few holsters to OC the 38, which I'm trying to discourage her from doing (too dang small).

At the WalMart I had one conversation with an employee while picking out a 200 hour audio recoder for my pocket. I explained what I needed the device for (recording OC encounters that weren't routine) and that led to discussing OC and such. He was supportive and knowledgeable but not ready to carry himself. In the checkout a lady struck up a conversation mentioning she was 63 (no I did NOT ask her age LOL) and had her CC because she lives alone in the country. She was curious about the OC and my wife and I talked with her about the OC movement and that my wife and I looked at it as an opportunity to "educate the people and some L.E.". Gave her one of my printouts of some law references, Q&A's, and links to here, OFF, and the ORS.

At the relatives we just "popped in" and they had company. Left the weapons in the vehicle simply because we don't need them there. Pleasantly surprised when asked what we were up to and explained I'd been OC'ing that their company seemed well versed and supportive while the female relative "had no idea you could do that" and her husband was "well yeah". She asked, jokingly, if the cops were going to pull up their driveway and that led toeducating her about some of her rights. Her answer to "what if they ask if they can come in and check things out" was "well if I don't let them they'll call more cops and surround the place". EVERYONE explained to her that no, if they asked they were fishing and to JUST SAY NO. It was refreshing to see that 3 out of 4 knew better than to say "sure come on in".

So another non eventful (OC wise) day, as it should be, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of negativity in any way. I truly thought there'd be a "man with a gun" call on me the first time I ventured past my local (country) area.

Autonym

imported post

Awesome!

I keep ending up having to do business in the RED ZONE and so I've not been OC'ing much this week - still waiting on my CHL.

That thing can't come soon enough.

Keep up the good work, man.

~Auto

We-the-People

imported post

Just do yourself and the movement a favor and be extremely prepared when you do OC.

Know the law COLD. Not necessarilly the specific number to refer to but it's content.

Be prepared to answer questions from curious/friendly/unfriendly people you encounter.

Definitely be prepared to handle a rabid anti-gunner. I'd suggest that once you determine someone is a rabid anti-gunner just disengage. You're not going to change their mind.

Be prepared for encountering an Officer. Don't expect a confrontation but be prepared mentally to be calm and think through (beforehand) how you're going to answer teh questions you're likely to encounter.

I guess it's because I'm a Marine but preparation is everything. If you've gone through possible events in your mind, even to the point of actually speaking your replies to see how they sound, when you do have an encounter, you'll be much more relaxed.

Have fun!