• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee mayor beat with metal pipe

32HR MAG

imported post

Milwaukee mayor Barret beat with a metal pipe after leaving state fair.Bet it would not have happen if he would have had a side arm.

Milwaukee NO NEED FOR A GUN ?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
Milwaukee mayor Barret beat with a metal pipe after leaving state fair.Bet it would not have happen if he would have had a side arm.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/16/Milwaukee-mayor-beaten-in-attack/UPI-44551250435626/

MILWAUKEE, Aug. 16 (UPI) -- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett was hospitalized Sunday with injuries suffered in a beating by a man at the Wisconsin State Fair, police said.

Barrett was attacked Saturday night by a man wielding a metal pipe who was allegedly accosting a woman in the fairground's West Allis, Wis., parking lot, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Authorities said Barrett took out his cell phone when the woman screamed for help and was dialing 911 when the suspect ran toward him and began striking the mayor with the pipe. Barrett was with his family when the attack occurred.

Police were seeking the alleged attacker Sunday, the newspaper said.

The woman in the incident was reportedly uninjured.

Pal

imported post

32HR MAG wrote:

I thought he has body guards with him 24/7. The mayor didn't need to carry a gun, but now he would like to.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

If I witnessed this happen, it would be a tough call if I would intervene at all, If I did not know it was Barrett, I most likely would have intervened. If I knew who it was, It would be a tough decision. I probably would have said something. "boy, with you having a firearm right now it sure would have helped, don't ya think mayor-boy"
How long do you think it is going to take for the police to get here and stop this attack? can ya hold out that long?"

32HR MAG

imported post

Pal wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:

I thought he has body guards with him 24/7. The mayor didn't need to carry a gun, but now he would like to.
If you need 24/7 body guards .I would think that would tell any inteligent person to arm them self

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just read about it this morning. I would never wish harm on anybody but I hope this makes him think alott more..... Honestly I laughed when I saw it, a person so confident in the need not to protect themselves actually needing to protect themselves. I don't know why someone would do that, I mean the guy is old, and a metal pipe?? lmao But even more reason to carry! Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass and grows a few new brain cells to replace the ones he lost last night.

Mr.arker

imported post

First of all, I'm sorry it happened and I hope he recovers fully. Second, I have stated in the past that I hope its an anti -gun nut that gets attacked sometime. Let them see what its like to be assaulted with a deadly weapon and basically be unable to defend yourself or your family.
I'm sure that the criminal was "trying to turn his life around" and if he didn't have such easy access to a metal pipe it wouldn't have happened.
Those crazy pipes, anybody carrying one should be thrown to the ground and cuffed.

Pal

imported post

BJA wrote:
I just read about it this morning. I would never wish harm on anybody but I hope this makes him think alott more..... Honestly I laughed when I saw it, a person so confident in the need not to protect themselves actually needing to protect themselves. I don't know why someone would do that, I mean the guy is old, and a metal pipe?? lmao But even more reason to carry! Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass and grows a few new brain cells to replace the ones he lost last night.
I like your statement. I just wonder if former governor diamond dylee was with the mayor at the time of the attack.

32HR MAG

imported post

Pal wrote:
BJA wrote:
I like your statement. I just wonder if former governor diamond dylee was with the mayor at the time of the attack.
I can't believe Chief Flynn didn't come immediatelywhen he saw the beacon in the sky showing hisdefenseless buddywas in trouble.

smithman

imported post

I hope he does recover well. And recover to his senses is the key.

Many an anti have been converted when being attacked or robbed by a criminal. They finally realize that they are all alone with only their fists.

When was the last time you heard of a criminal waiting until Police are around before assaulting someone. When you are being assaulted, it is a 99% guarantee that there is no cop to aid you in your immediate need.

Let's hit the opinion polls about this on jsonline and other stations and keep talking up open carry. Also mention the fact that one cannot open carry in state fair (all buildings are govn't buildings, liquor license) or can conceal carry either! We are all sitting ducks going to our cars at night!

gollbladder13

imported post

Sadly, I don't see this as a chance for Milwaukee to move forward in the carry laws, but rather an opportunity to ban metal pipes within 1000 feet of fair grounds.

When pipes are outlawed, only outlaw plumbers with have pipes...

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I hope that Mayor Barrett follows form and is on TV next week promoting more restrictions on pipes.

I mean if it wasn't for that pipe, he'd be fine right?

The pipe was the issue here no?

How did this guy get the pipe? Where was the pipe used to beat Mayor Barrett purchased?

Who in gods name thought it was a good idea to leave a pipe laying around?

Should we institute a24 hour cooling off period before purchasing a pipe?

Perhaps a ban on carrying any implement longer than 12 inches in lenght isappropriate now that we see the dangers of pipes.

Ban pipe possession for anyone other than a licensed plumber?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well, I sincerely hope the man recovers. I wouldn't wish this on anyone and had I been there and armed with my fire arm I surely would have stopped the individual responsible, as we do have the right to protect the life of others as well as our own.

With that I would like to say to Mayer Barrett, I hope you will no come to your senses and now understand why we the people have the right to carry a fire arm.

Had you been carrying a fire arm at the time of this incident, your health and your life would not have been at risk and the criminal would probably be behind bars where he should be.

Please find it in your self to be a big enough man to admit when you are wrong. On this issue you have been wrong. Stop this madness and allow people to openly carry a fire arm to protect themselves.

Learn from your mistakes.

Mr.arker

imported post

Maybe there can be a pipe carry task force. Stake out Home Depot or Lowe's. Have one officer question the pipe buyer and ask why he needs those pipes. Then if they aren't loaded properly on the truck when he leaves the parking lot, they can surround him as he leaves.

blaze

imported post

I have known Tom quite a few years as he is married to my next door neighbor's daughter. I seriously doubt this incident will have any bearing on his opinion about firearms.I am just as frustrated as everyone else on this forum about Wisconsin's OC and lack of CC and the ridiculous statutes for OC. Here in Rock county we have Sen. Robson and Rep Benedict. One is an ex-nurse, the other an ex-neurologist. Both primo gun grabbers. I have talked to both and as with Tom Barrett will never change their position about guns.I do not like to hear about anyone being attacked with a pipe, but it happening to the Mayor of Milwaukee without bodyguards present is a Rod Serling event. Maybe good for the cause, but?

gollbladder13

imported post

Looks like they caught the guy:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/53347442.html
SNIP

Barrett usually travels with a security detail when attending official events, according to Curley. As with many private affairs, the mayor chose not to have security with him at the Fair Saturday.
Looks like he had the "it'll never happen to me" mentality. Well, looks like it happened. I hope he recovers fully and realizes that defenseless citizens deal with this all the time and he has a small taste of what we go through with all of the restrictions...