Thread: FFL needed to ship a gun for service in CT?

Post imported post

I will be sending a gun I own back to the factory for service. They are sending a shipping box and a label with a return authorization number. I am told by the manufacturer all I need to do is pack the gun and magazine (of course unloaded) and drop it off at UPS.

Do I need to have it sent from a FFL which would be the dealer I bought the gun from? Or is it legal to box it and send it myself?

Post imported post

metalman wrote:
    I will be sending a gun I own back to the factory for service. They are sending a shipping box and a label with a return authorization number. I am told by the manufacturer all I need to do is pack the gun and magazine (of course unloaded) and drop it off at UPS.

Do I need to have it sent from a FFL which would be the dealer I bought the gun from? Or is it legal to box it and send it myself?
    Federal law allows a gun owner to ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer for service. I sent my Taurus PT745C by Fedex to Taurus in Miami, and they shipped it back by Fedex (signature required).

Very easy.

Post imported post

This is true. I've done it also.

Post imported post

The only time you'd need an FFL is if you sent in your gun and they couldn't fix it and elected to send you a new one. This would have a different serial number and therefore require an FFL to do the transfer.

Post imported post

I have sent a gun in for warranty repair to an authorized service center via UPS.
    Just field strip the gun and sent back as machined parts. Perfectly legal and no mention of there is a gun in the box.
    The Connecticut Citizens Defense League is a non-partisan, grassroots organization devoted to advocating rights affirmed by the Constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Connecticut. We are especially dedicated to protecting the unalienable right of all citizens to keep and bear arms, for the defense of both self and state, through public enlightenment and legislative action.
    Join Here: http://www.ccdl.us/membership

Post imported post

Does the manufacturer pick up the paperwork tab for guns in those crazy serial
    numbered ownership paper states?
    Seems the easy way is to reuse the number on the new gun so everyone is happy.
    Except for the DC finger printers.:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Just ship the gun out from your closest UPS depot. It has to be a depot not a store.

Post imported post

Thanks for the info, easy enough. I'll just drop it off at the UPS terminal.