• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FFL needed to ship a gun for service in CT?

metalman

imported post

I will be sending a gun I own back to the factory for service. They are sending a shipping box and a label with a return authorization number. I am told by the manufacturer all I need to do is pack the gun and magazine (of course unloaded) and drop it off at UPS.

Do I need to have it sent from a FFL which would be the dealer I bought the gun from? Or is it legal to box it and send it myself?

Hef

imported post

metalman wrote:
I will be sending a gun I own back to the factory for service. They are sending a shipping box and a label with a return authorization number. I am told by the manufacturer all I need to do is pack the gun and magazine (of course unloaded) and drop it off at UPS.

Do I need to have it sent from a FFL which would be the dealer I bought the gun from? Or is it legal to box it and send it myself?
Federal law allows a gun owner to ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer for service. I sent my Taurus PT745C by Fedex to Taurus in Miami, and they shipped it back by Fedex (signature required).

Very easy.

GoldCoaster

imported post

The only time you'd need an FFL is if you sent in your gun and they couldn't fix it and elected to send you a new one. This would have a different serial number and therefore require an FFL to do the transfer.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I have sent a gun in for warranty repair to an authorized service center via UPS.
Just field strip the gun and sent back as machined parts. Perfectly legal and no mention of there is a gun in the box.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Does the manufacturer pick up the paperwork tab for guns in those crazy serial
numbered ownership paper states?
Seems the easy way is to reuse the number on the new gun so everyone is happy.
Except for the DC finger printers.:celebrate:celebrate