• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Utah Law

Reapster

imported post

What exactly is Utah's law concerning having a gun in your car? I don't have a CCP so how exactly can I carry my gun in the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Under new Utah Law you can carry a loaded firearm in your vechicle. As long as your not a restricted person.

Now lets take it a step further their is also no right to notify a leo if pulled over.

Look under 76-10-500 area of Utah Codeif you have further question's. I will post the code for a loaded firearm as soon as I return back tomy home computer.

Thanks

Zachary

801-448-7574

rpyne

imported post

More specifically, see 76-10-504(1) and 76-10-505(1)

76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.
(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3) and (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person's residence, property, a vehicle in the person's lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the vehicle, or business under [his] the person's control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

One quick note, under the new law, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car

Rifles and shotguns must be "Utah unloaded" (IE no round in the chamber, but a fully charged magazine is ok) unless you have a permit to carry.

Any lawfully possessed gun may be carried either openly or concealed on or in the vehicle.

(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
One quick note, under the new law, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car

Rifles and shotguns must be "Utah unloaded" (IE no round in the chamber, but a fully charged magazine is ok) unless you have a permit to carry.

Any lawfully possessed gun may be carried either openly or concealed on or in the vehicle.

(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
Nice catch there Charles. Emphasis also on "loaded" :) Make sure that bad boy is utah unloaded if you are going to transport one or more of those around in your car.

Kevin

MemphisSuey

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I have the same question and am not so sure about the laws.

Where would you keep the firearm in the vehicle?

Is it considered concealed if you stick it between a seat and the center console?

Also; it's not considered concealed if it is "securely encased" however,

76-10-501 (18) said:
"Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I have the same question and am not so sure about the laws.

Where would you keep the firearm in the vehicle?

Is it considered concealed if you stick it between a seat and the center console?

Also; it's not considered concealed if it is "securely encased" however,

No longer an issue here in Utah. The law was changed to allow for a handgun to be carried in your vehicle however you please.

Long arms, however, must be unloaded unless you have a valid permit from any State or County.