• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victim Kills Would-Be Robber

curtiswr

imported post

Victim Kills Would-Be Robber
By Elizabeth Braun, Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A man was being robbed at gunpoint when he pulled out his own gun and shot one of the suspects.

It all happened early Thursday near 1st and Clarke. The 23-year-old Milwaukee man was in the area when two teenagers pulled out a gun and tried to rob him.

That victim also had a gun. He shot and killed one suspect, 17-year-old Kevin Ollie. Ollie's gun also went off, and he accidentally shot the other teen robber.

The robbery victim's family says he had no choice but to fight back.

That robbery victim has never been convicted of a crime and is not in custody.

The 19-year-old surviving robber is behind bars. The DA is deciding whether he will face felony murder charges for his role in the botched robbery.

The robbery victim's family hopes that happens.

The robbery victim was not hurt during the ordeal. Friday detectives brought him to a line up to identify the robbery suspect.

A decision on charges against the 19-year-old surviving robber should come Monday.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/53259052.html

Maybe the Milwaukee mayor should start taking notes on how guns = good?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

curtiswr wrote:

Maybe the Milwaukee mayor should start taking notes on how guns = good?

Not exactly the best situation to use as an example.
That area of town is fairly rough after dark, You do nto want to be walking alone or unarmed due to the criminal youth element.and I highly doubt the person they are calling the victim in this situation was legally carrying. You may see more news come from this than they are originally reporting.

it isn't the roughest area of town, but fairly close. here is a streetview picture from google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGIC_enUS311US311&q=1st%20and%20Clarke%20milwaukee&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

curtiswr

imported post

Most articles I've read that detail a victim shooting somebody, if they were carrying illegally, also makes mention of that fact and whether or not charges would be against the victim if that were the case.

I don't live in exactly the safest city and sometimes I have to go to "rough areas" of town. If I were involved in a shooting to save my life would you automatically assume that I had been doing something illegal as well?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given that this occurred in Wisconsin, a permit to carry is a non-issue. The only way the victem could have been carrying "illegally" would be if he was CC. That appears not to be the case.

I like the idea of the other perp being charged with the death of his partner. That will put him away for a lot longer than an attempted robbery charge.

nevinsb

imported post

There are a lot of details missing from that story, like how the robbers didn't notice that he was carrying? You would think that would give most high school age kids second thoughts.

Also if this was on his property or on the streets somewhere.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nevinsb wrote:
There are a lot of details missing from that story, like how the robbers didn't notice that he was carrying? You would think that would give most high school age kids second thoughts.

Also if this was on his property or on the streets somewhere.
You'er right, this story is a bit short on details. But there seems to be enough to get an official score.

Good guy 2 - BG's 0

If the attackers approached the man from the opposite side his sidearm was holstered, they wouldn't have been able to see it. I think you are assuming that our OC'd firearms stand out like neon signs all the time. They don't.

nevinsb

imported post

Yes; however, there was 2 of them who probably approached from different directions, at least different enough that they should have noticed he was carrying.

I figured:
A- Very dark at the time (No time was listed)
B - inside of a building

In the case of B, I would still like to know if there was forced entry, giving the victim sufficient time to obtain a firearm, or if he was already carrying at the time.

I'm sure most of these details aren't going to be released until the case is settled, but having a list of how the scenario was played out could help a lot of people.

On top of that, how did his friend also get shot?

This situation could have ended up a LOT worse, and thankfully the good guy was uninjured.

Yooper

imported post

Also, if the BG's adreneline had kicked in, they may have had a tunnel vision type effect where they weren't focusing on what accessories (cell phone, multi-tool, gun) he had on his waist. Since OC isn't that common, it maybe something the thugs have never encountered, and therefore became complacent that their victims weren't armed, which could explain, even if they saw the gun, it may not have registered in their heads what it was.

Then again, they were dumb enough to try to rob someone in the first place....

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as details, you have to understand that some LE will not devulge details about a crime for a reason. The LE and Prosecuters office do not want pretrail publicity of the evidence to give reason to overturn a guilty verdict. Details will come out during the trial.

When they were hunting for the suspect of the UF murders in Gainesville Florida, they wouldn't tell the press anything about the evidence they had. They didn't devulge anything about their investigation to the press and said that it was because they didn't want a conviction over turned due to the pre-trail publicity.

As it turned out the arrested suspect pled guilty the opening day of his trial. The evidence in the case against him was never released to the public, but could be reviewed at the office of records by appointment.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am willing to wager a fairlylarge amount of money that this alleged victim in the situation is not as innocent as everyone seems to think.
Lots of details are missing in the story, And as I metioned earlier, that area of town is not one you just walk around in after dark, or even during the day in many cases.
I used to avoid driving in that area when I worked down there.
I just do notimaginethe typical residents of that area carrying openly and legally,
Something else is going on that we do not currently know about.

We got1 dead scumbag out of the event, and obviously the story that the "victim"told the police was enough to keep him from getting charged at this time.

I am trying to keep an open mind on this, but it is tough. It sounds all "fuzzy bunnies & rainbows" for our O-C cause. But something is just not right. I have a gut feeling about this I cannot ignore. And knowing that specificarea and it inhabitants does not make it easier to dismiss.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong in my feeling about this incident, but I doubt it.

GlocksRfun

imported post

I can't even make an argument of proving you wrong ^ With the location and time of night....but I'll try. Maybe it was a legit dude that got his DL suspened cause he didn't pay a ticket. Works 3rd shift and forgot his lunch at home and walked to go get it..... Like a wise persone once said, not much legal stuff happens after 10PM. or something to that nature.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I don't always agree with the situations in those parts of town, but I do agree with one aspect. Nothing that we know of thus far indicates that the victem was a felon or had ill intentions. As a result, he should have the right to be armed for self defense, especially since he was in a rather sketchy part of town. IIRC, the SSC carved out that one exception in State v Heller which allows a person to go armed with a concealed weapon. This just might fit the bill. If he's been harassed before while going out lawfully, he had no choice but to arm himself for personal protection.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The details of this incident are probably suspect but what is important is it is another example of why, during this time of moral and social decay, the ability of the average citizen to provide their own personal protection is paramount.

GlocksRfun

imported post

This occurred in a school zone, For the record. That could be why the victim was carrying concealed, if it was concealed of course. I guess the school zone thing only applies if nothing bad is happening, but if/when it goes down, they don't charge with the silly school zone thing.

So, if your caught by a cop in a school zone, its a felony. Ifyour caught by a bad guy, it's the smartest thing you've ever done.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Think, Think, Think!

Why didn't the DA prosecute the man in Racine for OCing in a school zone when he was attacked?

Because it would go to a higher court where the defendant would win and set precedence.

Maybe the victim was an off duty police officer who had just had a few drinks?

maybe the victim is an upper level city employee? (Believe it or not many of them probably carry because they believe as we do and just do not voice that opinion to the media)

My thoughts are that the DA is following in the foot steps of the Racine DA, but we will have to wait and see.

Another question....Why hasn't all of the news agencys covered this story?
Sounds to me like something is being covered up.

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Another question....Why hasn't all of the news agencys covered this story?
Sounds to me like something is being covered up.
I have been asking that question as well... I wonder what the problem is with the story.