• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie Question!

brianstone1985

imported post

Ok I'm new and I realize their may be a thread on this somewhere but I couldn't find it so feel free to let me have it!

Just got a new handgun from my brother for being the best man in his wedding. Sig Sauer P220 ST. 45 ACP... freaking great gift I might add

This was his gun for just one year and he has gifted it to me with a hand written gun sign-over paper/receipt... do i have to register this newly gifted firearm? What if I am OC'ing with it and they run the serial and see it was not purchased by me but instead my brother?

what are your thoughts.... and sorry again if I am asking a previously discussed question...

Thanks

Brian-

Tawnos

imported post

There's no registry, no need to do anything, really. It seems you're new and nervous...I'd recommend reading the FAQ, the RCW, and familiarizing yourself. Welcome!

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

There is no such thing as gun registration... yet. So the short and simple answer is "No".

If you want to carry concealed, you must get a CCL, but if you want to open carry, you need no permission. Just make yourself aware of the law and when approached by LEOs (and it will likely happen if you open carry), be polite, but stand firm on your right and make your understanding of the law known... in fact, repeating the RCW number and details from memory will sometimes get the LEO to slow down and be more comfortable with the fact that you are armed... and then in other cases, you'll run into some serious asshole who will violate your rights... just calmly refuse to give them any permission to disarm you, and continually ask them if you are being detained or arrested... if the answer is yes you are being detained or arrested... ask them what is the charge and why. Never resist physically, just refuse to give them permission.

Then, call the chief of police of their district... if he blows you off, then sue!

cdjspider

imported post

Damn, I going to be the best man in my brother's wedding in a couple months. Maybe I should start dropping hints lol.

Anyways, as its already been said, there is no registry so just study up on the law and you should be fine.

Vern357

imported post

There is a "de facto" registry is that WA state keeps a list of every pistol you buy through an FFL. So when the police run the number on your pistol it will show that it was last transfered to your brother, and that it is not stolen. Because it isn't stolen they will return your pistol to you.

Like others have said, read the law, and my 2 bits would be to get your CCW (better safe than sorry in case your jacket accidentally were to cover your pistol).

It is my understanding that they do not keep track of long guns, but I could be mistaken.