• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving To TN CCW Question

tanner12oz

imported post

moving into TN next month...started readin about the carry laws yesterday. don't seem to bad once you get past the $150 dollar or whatever insane fee there is. i am a licensed CCW holder in PA and i have taken then NRA basic pistol course up here....is that enough to qualify me for the discounted transfer fee of $25 or $50 (i know it was ALOT cheaper!).....thanks. look forward to meeting some folks down there....anyone going to knob creek for the shoot?

Fallguy

imported post

Just to make you familiar with the terms and prices in TN.

In TN it is a HCP or Handgun Carry Permit, it allows you to carry handgun(s) Open or Concealed. Otherwise it is illegal to carry a loaded handgun period in TN, even in your car.

A new permit is $115 and is good for 4 years, renewals are $50.

Looks like you are going to have to pay the $115 to the state. From http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm#PA

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee and be fingerprinted.

Also don't think the NRA course will exempt you from the Safety Course requirement. TN law says you are exempt from the safety course requirement if you can show documentation that within the last 5 years you have...

• Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission
  • Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy
  • Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(b)
  • Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military
No other exemptions for the safety courseare listed in 39-17-1351(e)

Fallguy

imported post

Yep, sorry dude.

Just in case you weren't sure the $115 does not include the safety course. Also that is up to you on your own to find. The price can range from $65 to $100+ for the course. The certificate you get is good for 6 months to use to get your HCP.

tanner12oz

imported post

yeah i kinda figured that.....can you reccomend anywhere around the clarksville, nashville, murfreesboro area?? i imagine theres probably a few months wait on the classes also :banghead:.....thankfully TN honors my PA for 6 months...should give me enough time to throw a class and funds together

Fallguy

imported post

Well not really my area of the state to behonest. Hopefully others from that area will chime in soon.

In that area you should be able to get a class fairly quick.

Best of luck on the move and getting your TN HCP.

WCrawford

imported post

tanner12oz wrote:
yeah i kinda figured that.....can you reccomend anywhere around the clarksville, nashville, murfreesboro area?? i imagine theres probably a few months wait on the classes also :banghead:.....thankfully TN honors my PA for 6 months...should give me enough time to throw a class and funds together

I did my HCP class with my Armed Guard class at the Academy of Personal Protection and Security (APPS) in Nashville.

The instructor is great, if you don't mind bad language or Glock haters.

I have also heard really good thing about Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN, but I have no personal experience.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

tanner, also something to remember here. Unlike in PA, carry here is generally illegal. Having a permit is a defense to the charge of going armed.

That means that the police can stop you and ask to see your permit if they see that you are armed, and you must comply. What happened in Dickson City PA will not fly here. Just be aware.

BTW, welcome to TN! I moved here from PA in 2004, and the most shocking thing I had to get used to was everyone being so nice.

Regards,

Pol

SlackwareRobert

imported post

$115 for permit vs $1000+ PA income taxes. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
But there is always AL over the border, we have the same $10-$20 trust are
citizens mentality. As long as gas stays under $4/gal the commute isn't a killer.

You can always move north over the border after getting your classes/ paperwork
done. Although the dual state income taxes does add to the headacheis in april.:(
Get youself a nice database program, without a state tax you can write off your sales
tax on federal form, but that is a lot of little payments to track, unless that was
one of the bush cuts that is going away.

But get registered quick, they have been trying every dirty trick in the book to pass
an income tax the last couple of years, some would make even pelosi blush.
Plus, plenty of anti's still hold office.

Don't forget, you get your identity revealed by the local paper you evil
gun owner you. :uhoh:

tanner12oz

imported post

i said the same thing after i came down for the first time....i was taken aback by how friendly everyone was. nashville, knoxille.....didnt matter the whole state treated me good. this is probably the first time ive ever agreed with any of those top 10 lists that get put out by the media. thanks for all of your help....im going to probably check out the academy next time im in the area.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

tanner12oz wrote:
moving into TN next month...started readin about the carry laws yesterday. don't seem to bad once you get past the $150 dollar or whatever insane fee there is. i am a licensed CCW holder in PA and i have taken then NRA basic pistol course up here....is that enough to qualify me for the discounted transfer fee of $25 or $50 (i know it was ALOT cheaper!).....thanks. look forward to meeting some folks down there....anyone going to knob creek for the shoot?
Please consider refusing to disclose your SSN on application form and litigating subsequent possible denial of your CHP per Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act.

Folks in TN have been putting up with this so farwithout any resistance, unortunately.

WCrawford

imported post

Mike wrote:
tanner12oz wrote:
Please consider refusing to disclose your SSN on application form and litigating subsequent possible denial of your CHP per Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act.

Folks in TN have been putting up with this so farwithout any resistance, unortunately.
Mike, its HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) not CHP. :p

I don't recall having to supply my SSN when I got my HCP July of 08. Then again, the HCP and State Driver's License is linked (same number for each), and the TN did require SSNs when I got my TN license in 92 (they are no longer required or printed on the DL).

ProguninTN

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Mike wrote:
tanner12oz wrote:

Mike, its HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) not CHP. :p

I don't recall having to supply my SSN when I got my HCP July of 08. Then again, the HCP and State Driver's License is linked (same number for each), and the TN did require SSNs when I got my TN license in 92 (they are no longer required or printed on the DL).
Come on, Mike. Give us some credit. We finally got restaurant carry passed. (I am aware of some on going lawsuits to stop restaurant carry, but none was able to get a temporary injunction.) Anyways, you are correct that SSN disclosure in the face of Section 7 is another battle for TN.

Wiggy

imported post

I took my class at Rattlesnake Ridge in Indian Mound, TN. It's close to Clarksville.

It's one of the more expensive ones, but the instructor is very current on all his info. They also have cool tee shirts you can buy too, lol. :cool:

blairellis

imported post

I am potentially moving to TN here soon. Johnson City to be exact. Its not for sure yet, but things are progressing that way.

I just took my training here in MI for my Concealed Pistol License (CPL) which was $100 bucks, very similar to what I understand your Handgun Carry Permit to be. I have not submitted my paperwork for my CPL up here in MI. The way I understand it from one of the links posted earlier, if I have my MI CPL then to get a TN HCP, all I have to do is pay the renewal fee down in TN. Is that right? Seems to be the better way to go if I can do it that way.

Thanks!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

According to the Tn Dept Safety site, if you have a carry permit from another state TN has recipocity, you can go the renewal route within 6 months of establishing residency in Tn. TN has reciprocity with Michigan.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

You can probably get your TN DL at the same time you apply for your HCP. Just bring 2 bills (untility/phone) that have your TN mailing address on them.

Welcome to Tennessee, btw.