• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Instructors discourage OC

Izod

imported post

I've had four different NRA Instructors here in Colorado actively discourage open carry in their classes and in private conversation. They gave the tired old excuse that the open carrier would be the first target and all that. I suspect there are other REAL reasons why they don't want law abiding citizens to open carry. Are there any NRA Instructors that could shed some light on this?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Izod wrote:
I've had four different NRA Instructors here in Colorado actively discourage open carry in their classes and in private conversation. They gave the tired old excuse that the open carrier would be the first target and all that. I suspect there are other REAL reasons why they don't want law abiding citizens to open carry. Are there any NRA Instructors that could shed some light on this?

I am an NRA instructor and while not in Colorado.. heve never received any coaching or been asked to exress what you say. I don't think OC is for everyone.. it is a personal choice. I happen to choose to and believe is is the right choice for me.

carry on.

Ed

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Izod wrote:
I've had four different NRA Instructors here in Colorado actively discourage open carry in their classes and in private conversation. They gave the tired old excuse that the open carrier would be the first target and all that.

What do you mean by "actively discourage?"

Izod wrote:
I suspect there are other REAL reasons why they don't want law abiding citizens to open carry.

Huh? What might they be?

Anti-2A? Orders from LaPierre? Obamais promisingfree health careto all the instructors?

39.gif

Izod

imported post

In two different Concealed Carry classes (attended by my dad and my wife) and in personal conversations at my local gun club, the instructors plainly said that they "discourage open carry." They gave the same list we've all seen on why concealed carry is supposedly superior to open carry.

On a similar note, I've only been stopped by one person who told me I shouldn't be open carrying and, upon further examination, I found out he had his concealed carry license here in Colorado. He'd been told by his NRA Instructor that a person would be arrested for 'causing alarm' if he open carried.

So, in my personal experience, I have only heard NRA Instructors teaching Concealed Carry = good, Open Carry = bad.

Admittedly, my sample size is limited and I'd be glad to hear that I'm completely off base with this but I haven't heard anything that would challenge this perception, yet.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Why WOULD they encourage OC? They are want people to CC so they take their class!

IanB

imported post

Prime reason NRA instructors discourage open carry: They are teaching a CC class, one which the state has mandated you take before receiving the "privilege" to carry. It is not in the instructors fiduciary interests to tell students they wasted $150 on his CC class and they could have open carried w/o a permit all along. There, I said it. Anyone is free to disagree.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Izod wrote:
As an NRA instructor myself, my fellow NRA instructors should make it clear that they are NOT speaking as an NRA instructorwhen discussing subject matteroutside the realm of the course (Basic Pistol, Home Defense, etc.) which they are teaching.

If they fail to do so, they should be reminded of their training, and if they do not cease and desist, they should be reported to the NRA.

All above is IMHO.

As required,in my classesI make it VERY clear when I have (figuratively) taken off my NRA instructor's hat.

btw - the NRA does not have a concealed carry course, it's just that the content of the Basic Pistol class (among others) meets the time, classroom and range subject matter requirements of a number of states.

Furthermore,I disagree with nakedshoplifter's generalization.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was an NRA instructor until I learned of the lie that is the NRA.

The existence of the NRA and their stock in trade depends on selling exceptions to Second Amendment infringements, like concealing a weapon. Thus the NRA uses its political clout to encourage and pass permitted CCW legislation.

The NRA Emperor has no clothes! Only its paid/subscribing apologists defend.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NRA instructors are not the "evil"NRA,Mark and Doug. Justification by oversimplication is poor logic.

Nor is anyonewho is a member of, or a certified instructor of the NRAa mind-numbed robot who finds the organization as faultless as you find it faulty.

imported post

Time out: I never called or insinuated NRA instructors/members are "mind-numb robots."
It does perplex me how they are, for the most part, so deceived into thinking the NRA actually supports the bearing of arms, especially OC.
While the concept of the NRA sounds good on paper, it's lost a lot in the implementation of the idea.

cscitney87

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Prime reason NRA instructors discourage open carry: They are teaching a CC class, one which the state has mandated you take before receiving the "privilege" to carry. It is not in the instructors fiduciary interests to tell students they wasted $150 on his CC class and they could have open carried w/o a permit all along. There, I said it. Anyone is free to disagree.
I can second that opinion. My first inquiry into open carry and concealed carry came when I called Les Hayes at "Shooting Solutions LLC" here in the Denver metro. I was given the run down on the CCW class and then I asked about his opinion on open carry. This man, Les Hayes, Is a certified NRA instructor- whether or not that played into his answer- whatever..

Paraphrasing, he told me "Open carry just draws to much attention and upsets to many people- just come in and take the class and you won't have to worry about it."

Now just MAYBE and I say MAYBE- I would want to touch on the fact that this man is less willing to work on the social issue of open carry than he is willing to work towards getting everybody into a CCW. Seems, for him, it's just easier to cram $150 into his pocket than it is to stand up for your right to open carry, regardless of the social paradigm that exists around the subject. Just my humble one ;) Maybe.

None the less I was impressed with the man and his general outlook. :lol:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Time out: I never called or insinuated NRA instructors/members are "mind-numb robots."...
That's a fair criticism.

That portion of the sentence was directed at Doug's "The NRA Emperor has no clothes! Only its paid/subscribing apologists defend" statement.

mahkagari

imported post

The reason given in my Personal Protection class was "You won't get very far." That's a personal choice. A lot of people here are okay with irritating encounters with sheeple and LEOs. Or see it as an important part of activism and education. I agree. However on a lot days, it's more important to me to worry strictly about the self-defense aspect of my sidearm w/o the the extra effort. Self-defense, always. Activism when it doesn't interfere with the former.

CJ30-06

imported post

I know an instructor here in Colorado and he does no such thing, he teaches the class for CC, and supports OC. While he doesn't encourage it during his class, he does support it.

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
The reason given in my Personal Protection class was "You won't get very far." That's a personal choice. A lot of people here are okay with irritating encounters with sheeple and LEOs. Or see it as an important part of activism and education. I agree. However on a lot days, it's more important to me to worry strictly about the self-defense aspect of my sidearm w/o the the extra effort. Self-defense, always. Activism when it doesn't interfere with the former.
Sounds to me the true purpose of the 2nd amendment takes a backseat to self-defense. It should be the reverse.
Reminding our "leaders" and "representatives" who's boss should be job 1,
self-defense is merely an added benefit.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

BB62

As an NRA instructor myself, my fellow NRA instructors should make it clear that they are NOT speaking as an NRA instructorwhen discussing subject matteroutside the realm of the course (Basic Pistol, Home Defense, etc.) which they are teaching.

btw - the NRA does not have a concealed carry course, it's just that the content of the Basic Pistol class (among others) meets the time, classroom and range subject matter requirements of a number of states.

+++++++++++++++++++

1. There is no "Home Defense" course - it is Personal Protection in the Home

2. There is "a concealed carry course" - it is Personal Protection Outside the Home

Are you really a NRA Instructor ? If so you should know this.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
1. There is no "Home Defense" course - it is Personal Protection in the Home
There is a Home Firearm Safety Course... and it qulifies as trainign in VA for the CHP.. some students call it a CHP course.. when they mean it is a course that they can attend to then apply for their CHP>

Ed