• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Annoyed slightly

TehGruu

imported post

So I was at Academy this afternoon before I went to work. I just went in to pick up a small zip case for my Sig Pro and stopped to drool over a Colt sitting behind some glass. While I was looking I heard, "How easy is it to remove the clip?" I don't know why, but when I hear people use the wrong terms, especially for firearms, it's like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. I looked over and saw an older couple and they were examining a Glock. Then they managed to sweep the muzzle in my direction. Maybe it was their first firearm purchase, but I just felt my hackles rise. Then I see she has the slide pulled back and is trying to move the slide forward by pressing the slidestop.

She was handing the pistol back to a very patient employee as I was walking away and gritting my teeth. I don't know why, but I'm only 29 and when I see someone with gray in theirhair I tend to assume that they have more wisdom in general than I do. But we all know what happens when one assumes I guess. Ah well, I just hope that if they were first time gun owners that the employee did more than just instruct them on filling out the proper forms and they can find someone to give them some proper education on the matter. I just wasn't up to it at that time. I was running late to work and they had the aura about them that no matter what anyone told them, they wouldn't listen because they knew better.

/rantoff

-Gruu

old dog

imported post

I am so grieved that Gruu is forced to share the world with ordinary humans.

Dustin

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
when I see someone with gray in theirhair I tend to assume that they have more wisdom in general than I do.

thpity.gif

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That was probably true when you were a little kid TehGuru. It certainly was true when I was a kid. The problem is that now (besides being one of those who have some gray hair myself) that a goodly percentage of those you see now who are "older" and gray are people who spent the 60s and early/mid 70s stoned out of their skulls singing Kumbaya and conflating laziness with freedom, destruction with political engagement and a hand up with a hand out. See the AARP platform, position papers and membership numbers for reference.

TehGruu

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
That was probably true when you were a little kid TehGuru. It certainly was true when I was a kid. The problem is that now (besides being one of those who have some gray hair myself) that a goodly percentage of those you see now who are "older" and gray are people who spent the 60s and early/mid 70s stoned out of their skulls singing Kumbaya and conflating laziness with freedom, destruction with political engagement and a hand up with a hand out. See the AARP platform, position papers and membership numbers for reference.

You know, that's a very good point.

-Gruu

buzzsaw

imported post

It gets worse, a lot of them went to college to avoid the draft. They didn't study anything worth while because that would be too hard and spoil the karma. When the draft went away and they no longer needed the deferment they needed a job and had no useful skills so they went into education. They have been running our schools for the last 40 years. How's that for a scary thought.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Ahhhhhh. As a Senior Citizen I can equate with both sides. Spent my fours years active duty......no pot or dropping out. My son is soon to be 41 years old.

When I see errors about guns being made, I try to correct and educate. If they don't want to listen.....then I judge them as idiots. HehHeh:cool:

Dustin

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Ahhhhhh. As a Senior Citizen I can equate with both sides. Spent my fours years active duty......no pot or dropping out. My son is soon to be 41 years old.

When I see errors about guns being made, I try to correct and educate. If they don't want to listen.....then I judge them as idiots. HehHeh:cool:

Just like now we have peers that are morons, so do folks like Mitch.

FightingGlock19

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
So I was at Academy this afternoon before I went to work. I just went in to pick up a small zip case for my Sig Pro and stopped to drool over a Colt sitting behind some glass. While I was looking I heard, "How easy is it to remove the clip?" I don't know why, but when I hear people use the wrong terms, especially for firearms, it's like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. I looked over and saw an older couple and they were examining a Glock. Then they managed to sweep the muzzle in my direction. Maybe it was their first firearm purchase, but I just felt my hackles rise. Then I see she has the slide pulled back and is trying to move the slide forward by pressing the slidestop.

She was handing the pistol back to a very patient employee as I was walking away and gritting my teeth. I don't know why, but I'm only 29 and when I see someone with gray in theirhair I tend to assume that they have more wisdom in general than I do. But we all know what happens when one assumes I guess. Ah well, I just hope that if they were first time gun owners that the employee did more than just instruct them on filling out the proper forms and they can find someone to give them some proper education on the matter. I just wasn't up to it at that time. I was running late to work and they had the aura about them that no matter what anyone told them, they wouldn't listen because they knew better.

/rantoff

-Gruu
A lot of people on this forum seem very intent on "educating" folks on the legalities of open carry. Why not "educate" folks on safe gun handling and nomenclature instead of talking about them like they're retards?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
SNIP So I was at Academy this afternoon before I went to work. I just went in to pick up a small zip case for my Sig Pro and stopped to drool over a Colt sitting behind some glass. While I was looking I heard, "How easy is it to remove the clip?" I don't know why, but when I hear people use the wrong terms, especially for firearms, it's like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. I looked over and saw an older couple and they were examining a Glock. Then they managed to sweep the muzzle in my direction. Maybe it was their first firearm purchase, but I just felt my hackles rise. Then I see she has the slide pulled back and is trying to move the slide forward by pressing the slidestop.
I feel your pain. It's hard not to walk over there and give them a lesson in basic firearm safety and terminology. I have in fact, done it a time or two. If the store employee is just standing there looking like a moron I'll walk over and start up a conversation. I start by commenting on their current choice and then slide my way into safety and whatnot. That way I don't come off like an a$$hat. It may add a few mins to my trip but I consider it time well spent.

I will admit though I have on occasion called a mag a clip. When I was a kid that's what mags were called on tv and in the movies. It's a hard habit to break.

N00blet45

imported post

The worst part is when they say "clip" on the news. You'd think that people who masquerade as intellectuals would do a little homework on a topic before airing a story.

gbentzen8

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
The worst part is when they say "clip" on the news. You'd think that people who masquerade as intellectuals would do a little homework on a topic before airing a story.

One might think that "journalists" would try to get more stories re. gun issues right, but alas they are biased and ignorant.

One thing to keep in mind.....the school of journalism on any campus isn't exactly populated by the brainiest folk at university. When you think of a journalist just think of a professional gossip with styled hair and straight white teeth inside a very empty suit waiting for ahorrible event to reportto get ratings. I know, some are smart......but most are just dumber than stick horses. My proof of that point is the inaccurate reporting we've all witnessed in the gun area and in those instances in our lives when our own expertise tells us they are full of bravo sierra.

wrightme

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
-Gruu
I do not really see this as a "wisdom" point, but as an "ignorance" point. Given the current attention to RKBA subsequent to last November, MANY people who never even thought of owning a gun are making their first purchase. These people, whether they are just out of high school, in college, in the workforce, OR gray and retired are possibly quite ignorant of firearms.
The salesperson should have immediately made a few good comments about safe operation when it was immediately obvious that the couple had no idea which end was which.
You possibly could have acted similarly, but may have drawn the ire of the salesperson.
The store SHOULD have a sign posted with at least the obvious (to us) 'rules.'
Such as
1) Don't point the muzzle at anything that you aren't willing to put a hole in.
2) Keep the finger off the trigger until you are willing to put a hole in something.
3) If you do not know how to operate it, ASK.

KansasMustang

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Hey now, I somewhat resemble that remark. However I came from strong roots. Had weapons training as a kid, and volunteered for service directly out of HS. And have owned my own weapons since the early 70's. But it's all sadly to say correct. Some of us Baby Boomers have no clue of weapons safety or for that matter have ever owned one. Wonder why that couple felt compelled to buy one? hmmmm that's what has me thinking. Maybe,,just maybe the folks of the Sex,drugs and rock and roll era are waking up. Woodstock did not last forever. Peace and love,,and nothing but the best for ya!! I have another motto, one we used in the Tank Corp, "Peace,,,thru superior firepower"
Keep your powder dry

TehGruu

imported post

catass wrote:
A lot of people on this forum seem very intent on "educating" folks on the legalities of open carry. Why not "educate" folks on safe gun handling and nomenclature instead of talking about them like they're retards?

Yeah, you're totally right. Normally, I would have at least made small talk and dropped a couple of pointers. However, that day I just wasn't in the mood. Their posture and tone of voice didn't make me feel like approaching them either.

I also like the idea of another poster of posting signs in a gun shop listing the basic rules.

-Gruu

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
So I was at Academy this afternoon
<Snip>
I just hope that if they were first time gun owners that the employee did more than just instruct them on filling out the proper forms and they can find someone to give them some proper education on the matter.
<Snip>

-Gruu
The whole problem here is what I BOLDED above.
While Academy is a great place for us 'sportsmen' to get our supplies, it isn't much more than a Wal-Mart of sportinggoods.
Most of the employees there don't really know much of anything about the products they are selling. Most of them are friendly and helpful, so please don't get me wrong, but Academy is not a gun shop! It is simply a pick out what you need warehouse and I hope YOU know what you need before you get there...
As an additional note, I have never seen an Academy gun counter employee get irritated that I chose to 'help out', in fact I have been thanked and even asked more questions by the employees. A few of these conversations have lead to trips to the range! (with both employees and customers) Many times at our local Academy I have heard employees tell customers to go to Champions (our local Gun Shop/indoor range) where they can rent different guns and actually fire them in order to find the right match! They know that they are likely going to lose the sale at that point, but are more interested in getting the customer what they need!