Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Asked for permit for purchase of Ammo

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    140

    Post imported post

    Be aware any purchases of Ammo in Walmart in West Haven you will be asked to produce permit, so keep it with you.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    The one in Walyworld and North Branford Ask too . but you say it's for a Rifle, and then they can't ask you for the permit. And if someone wants to know what rifle shoots 9mm and .40S&W . It's Kel-Tec sub 2000, and there is other too. There is also a rifle that shoots 45ACP but i forgot what brand that is.

    That's what i do. I don't like to pull out my permit for some joe at wall mart

  3. #3
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    AWDBrick wrote:
    The one in Walyworld and North Branford Ask too . but you say it's for a Rifle, and then they can't ask you for the permit. And if someone wants to know what rifle shoots 9mm and .40S&W . It's Kel-Tec sub 2000, and there is other too. There is also a rifle that shoots 45ACP but i forgot what brand that is.

    That's what i do. I don't like to pull out my permit for some joe at wall mart
    However, if you don't actually OWN one of those rifles, providing false information to a dealer regarding the acquisition of ammunition is a Federal crime.
    Cite please.

    I believe the requirement to showa permit in order to purchase ammunition may bea State law at most. I am unaware of a Federal Law that makes providing false information to a dealer regarding the acquisition of ammunitiona Federal crime.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    When they ask, just say, "submachine gun".

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    I actually own a Kel-tec anyway

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    However, if you don't actually OWN one of those rifles, providing false information to a dealer regarding the acquisition of ammunition is a Federal crime.
    Please cite the reference for this statement.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:

    I believe the requirement to showÂ*a permit in order to purchase ammunition may beÂ*a State law at most.Â* I am unaware of a Federal Law that makes providing false information to a dealer regarding the acquisition of ammunitionÂ*a Federal crime.
    [/quote]

    I think his statement is BS, too. That said, Connecticut law does not require you to show a permit to purchase any ammunition. An individual store might, but if they did, it would be the last time I shopped there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    My apology, NavyLT.

    BTW, my son is career Navy - CTR1(AW,SW) up for Chief.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    As HEF said,

    I say submachine gun. I've never been asked anything else.

    In Connecticut though, any firearm with a barrel length of less than 12" is classified as a pistol. I therefore , have sub guns which are "pistols" and subguns which are not (in Connecticut)!

    I think the federal purchasing age limitation issue is not duplicated in state law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:

    It is 18 USC 922(a)(6):

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...2----000-.html

    (a) It shall be unlawful—

    (6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;


    Any Questions?
    This is not legal advice, but since the statute says

    with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition

    it seems that the lie must directly relate to whether or not it is legal to purchase the ammo. Since it is NOT illegal in CT to purchase handgun ammo without a permit, I would conclude that since it is legal to purchase the ammo whether or not you have a rifle that can fire said ammo, this law doesn't apply.

    If CT law required a permit to purchase handgun ammo if you do not own a rifle of that caliber, and one told a lie to make it appear that it was legal and it in fact was not, then this federal law would apply.

    This is NOT legal advice, and I of course could be wrong.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Smart people eschew Walmart -- smartest people eschew Connecticut.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    bradco wrote:
    Be aware any purchases of Ammo in Walmart in West Haven you will be asked to produce permit, so keep it with you.
    Strange, purchased some ammo there a week ago and out side of a strange glance from another customer no one said anything or asked for a permit or drivers license. I have only once been asked for anything other than my moneywhen buying ammo at Milford Walmart,and that was if I was over 18. I pointed to my gray hair and said "what do you think?", which garnered a laugh and a "I'm supposed to ask" from the Walmart employee.

    Perhaps Walmart has a new corporate policy (like their six box limit)where they are going to ask if the ammo if for a handgun and if so the buyer has to produce a permit if its for a handgun.

    Just be thankful that we don't have any state laws mandatingneed a permitto buy ammo like you apparently do in New Jersey. Had a funny back and forth conversation with a Dicks Sporting Goods gun/ammo counter guy in southern Jersey when I was down there visiting family members earlier this year. He was in 100% agreement with how crazy the People's Republic of NJ's gun laws are. Said its cost him lots of business.

    I see one gray area with the federal statue previously posted, and that is; if someone says the ammo is for a rifle or a handgunand hasn't bought the rifle or handgunyet, is he in violation of federal statue previous posted?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    I believe there's a machine gun called the Kriss that sends 45ACP downrange. That would be a force to be reckoned with.

    google agrees. http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kr...so-45-acp.html

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    Mac-10 Also spits 45ACP. But that one has a bad image. All the bad guys have those ( in media ) .

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    AWDBrick wrote:
    The one in Walyworld and North Branford Ask too . but you say it's for a Rifle, and then they can't ask you for the permit. And if someone wants to know what rifle shoots 9mm and .40S&W . It's Kel-Tec sub 2000, and there is other too. There is also a rifle that shoots 45ACP but i forgot what brand that is.

    That's what i do. I don't like to pull out my permit for some joe at wall mart
    The Kriss is available in semi-auto .45 as is the H&K USC carbine, which is the semi-auto version of the UMP.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    Lon wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    However, if you don't actually OWN one of those rifles, providing false information to a dealer regarding the acquisition of ammunition is a Federal crime.
    Please cite the reference for this statement.

    Lon, Decoligny,

    It is 18 USC 922(a)(6):

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...2----000-.html

    (a) It shall be unlawful—

    (6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;


    Any Questions?
    Thanks, I now have another piece of information that I didn't have before.

    The main reason I ask for citations is because I don't know if something is fact or hearsay until it is seen with a reference.

    There are too many times when people say things like "I heard on XYZ.com that such and such is the legal requirement" and that is all the person has to go on.

    I appreciate your getting back with the citation.


  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    Don't forget that the infamous Tommygun (Thompson Sub-machine gun) uses .45 ACP, as well.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    I was asked to show my permit at the Guilford WM. Girl said she couldn't deny the sale, just made "her feel better"! OK, if it makes you feel better here it is...then she tells me every one's photo on their permit looks like a mug shot. I told here thanks, maybe to you it does. Young girl, obviously anti gun .

    Also asked for the permit (politely) at the West Haven WM. Reason was something about illegal gun owners, not clear on that.

    Never had to produce the permit at the Branford WM. They ask if it's for hand gun or riffle.

    Seems to me there is no consistent policy at WM. I don't believe it is illegal to buy ammo without a permit in CT. If I'm lucky enough to "find" ammo at WM I don't care what they ask as long as I can buy it :celebrate.





  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    I have purchased at the West Haven Walmart plenty of times. I have never been asked to provide any form of identification. At times I have joked with the cashier about all the ammo that I am stockpiling at home... Of course I am usually wearing a suit and tie along with a suit jacket in order to conceal the holstered handgun inside my wasteband. Seems to me that their requests are more profiling than anything else.
    Last edited by FMJ; 08-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.

  20. #20
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    metalman wrote:
    Seems to me there is no consistent policy at WM. I don't believe it is illegal to buy ammo without a permit in CT. If I'm lucky enough to "find" ammo at WM I don't care what they ask as long as I can buy it :celebrate.

    Ain't it great that, even though many of us would pay more, WM charges only a regular (sub-market) price for ammo?

    It's disturbing to this free-marketer. Why, it's ..... almost socialist!!

    We must boycott WM for being socia.....um, never mind!






  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    I'v been asked if it was for a handgun or rifle.
    My answer was, "I'm not sure" The clerk looked confused & called a supervisor who asked how I wasn't sure. They were 22's & I said I have rifles & handguns in this caliber & wont be sure until I go shooting. In the end she said the reason they ask is they sell rifle ammo to anyone over 18 but you need to be 21 to purchase pistol ammo.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    45ACP rilfes that I know of...

    Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine 45ACP 16.6"

    H&K USC carbine 45ACP 16"

    Thompson semi auto cabine 45ACP 16 1/2" (as in Micky Thompson)

    I don't think thereare any laws in CT that require a pistol permit to buy pistol ammunition, is there? Proof of age is what I was aware of.



  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    BravoSierra wrote:
    [quote]

    I don't think thereÂ*are any laws in CT that require a pistol permit to buy pistol ammunition, is there?Â* Proof of age is what I was aware of.

    Â*
    [/quote

    Hoffman's has a sign at the register that you do, but they've never asked to see mine.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    bennor wrote:
    I see one gray area with the federal statue previously posted, and that is; if someone says the ammo is for a rifle or a handgunand hasn't bought the rifle or handgunyet, is he in violation of federal statue previous posted?
    Well I would think the state would have to prove you have no intention of
    buying said rifle. If you purchase the ammo for a rifle you want to buy, but
    don't have the money yet because certain individuals are taxing you to death....
    And I dare you to find someone in the NE who isn't taxed to death.

    I do not believe you can be banned from buying something that is legal to own
    because you do not have all the parts to make it work yet.

    But if you really want to muddy the waters....
    Last month at the gun show I saw a rifle assembly that takes a glock reciever.
    So you attach your pistol lower to make a rifle out of it. Makes it rifle ammo
    when attached, but pistol ammo with the glock barrel. So the poor
    mag will never know what it is loaded for.




  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    So the fact that I fully plan on purchasing a 223 rifle but haven't yet doesn't make me a bad person for getting a hundred rounds of 223 remington then... phew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •