• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A friend may need help, was told to leave work and not come back until contacted

Mississippian

imported post

Why didn't he decline?
I believe hindsight being 20-20, he probably wishes he would've. But at the time, he felt it better to let them look.

He said they unloaded it, wrote down the serial# and took pictures. I am sure he could sue them for something, but he also needs food, shelter & clothing, therefore, he said he's not going to push the issue and is going to "lay low" for a while.

He has a good paying job with quite a bit of seniority, it would be a shame to lose a job like that in these economic times over something that could easily be forgotten about as long as his handgun or holsteris never seen on or near company premises again. Keyword: seen;)

blksheep

imported post

Hi guys/gals,

I am the "friend" of Mississippian that had the trouble at work.

First I would like to thank gunluvinattyand Mississippianfortheirhelp in resolving the issue. I know who I am going to call if I need help in the future.

As for why I let the security personel search my vehicle -- AsI understand, It is company policy to alow the search. If I had refused, I would have been terminated on the spot. I would imagine there are somelaws out there that would have protected me from that too.Maybe I made a poor choice to alow the search.

As stated in a previous post, I work for a VERY large company that has BOTTOMLESS pockets. I would not have been able to out lawyer them. Dont get me wrong, I would love to keep fighting the battle with them, but again, in this economy its not a wise thing to do.

Anyway, I will have to start watching this forum and making more posts though because the information here is very helpfull.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I know the feeling about job security. 26 years with Exxon and they TRIED to terminate me too. Never did find my gun, so they went another route.....and failed.

I now have been collecting my pension for 12 years. La De Dah.....NEVER give up.:cool:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

blksheep wrote:
I am the "friend" of Mississippian that had the trouble at work.

First I would like to thank gunluvinattyand Mississippianfortheirhelp in resolving the issue. I know who I am going to call if I need help in the future.

As for why I let the security personel search my vehicle -- AsI understand, It is company policy to alow the search. If I had refused, I would have been terminated on the spot. I would imagine there are somelaws out there that would have protected me from that too.Maybe I made a poor choice to alow the search.

Good to have you aboard, blksheep.

This "company policy" you mention. Is this something you contractually agreed to?

blksheep wrote:
Anyway, I will have to start watching this forum and making more posts though because the information here is very helpfull.

Do you think it was your co-workers that provided info to your employer about yourgun carrying, as Mississippiansuggested?

Have you decided to begin CCing on your way to/from work and at your breakfast stops?

blksheep

imported post

I have been looking through our policies, but have not found anything yet regarding searching of employee private vehicles.

I do still belive it was a co-worker that turned me in. I just found out today, that same co-worker told another guy I is not legal for me to OPEN carry and it that it does not matter if I have a permit or not. He should know, he is a reserve LEO, and he knows it all.

I have had several other co-workers tell me they are now going to bring their firearms and not worry about it being inside thier locked vehicles. EVEN IF the company posts signs. I was supprised at how many others felt the same way.

bigz

imported post

The parking lot at my job has signs posted saying that by parking in the lot gives company permission to search you and your vehicle? but they don't have to search most of us have long guns laying in the seat lol

IndianaBoy79

imported post

gutshot wrote:
A true American would bring a gun to work and leave it in his car just because the company said they couldn't.
It's always the way it goes. After someone takes the chance to prove what's right, there are many willing to jump on the bandwagon.
Thats my take. While I have to eat and pay my bills and can't afford to fight the company to change their policies, I still choose to exercise my rights while at work. I may get fired if I ever have to use it (3rd shift worker) but at least I'll be alive to get a new job in the morning!

EviL inside

imported post

my wife used to work for "S Y&Y",,,,security was a joke.

where i work, the "employee" parking is "secured":lol:,,,but i have secured permission to park in a "public" area, so i'm covered by the aforementioned statute,,,that is IF i accidentally left my firearm in my car one day.........

MilProGuy

He works in an office building that is a gun free zone, but the "no guns" sign is at the door entering the building, not at the entrances to the parking area. The parking area is wide open to the public, no fences, gates, checkpoints or etc.

On friday, he was asked if he had a handgun in his vehicle and when it was confirmed that he did, he was told to leave the premises and would be contacted by a supervisor.

He has been employed at this place for quite a few years and doesn't know if he signed any thing or not when he was hiredsaying he wouldn't have a handgun in his vehicle.

From what I understand, the security made him let them search his vehicle and then took pictures of the handgun.

Respectfully, there has got to be more to this story than what we have here.

If the individual had been employed there for several years, and had never been asked this question before...something must have transpired to precipitate this incident.

For example, was the guy attempting to sell the handgun in the parking lot to his coworker during lunch break, and someone saw it and went inside stating that there was a man in the parking lot with a gun?

HandyHamlet

For example, was the guy attempting to sell the handgun in the parking lot to his coworker during lunch break, and someone saw it and went inside stating that there was a man in the parking lot with a gun?

tumblr_lkn7lnf4rz1qi7ymho1_500.gif

wrightme

Respectfully, there has got to be more to this story than what we have here.

If the individual had been employed there for several years, and had never been asked this question before...something must have transpired to precipitate this incident.

THis happened TWO YEARS AGO, and the actual person who was "the guy" posted to this very thread. I did not see anything to support your speculations.

MilProGuy

As I understand it, the fellow worked there several years and no one in authority ever asked him if he had a gun in his vehicle.

Something must have happened that is not mentioned in this account that precipitated his being questioned about whether or not he had a gun in his car.

wrightme

As I understand it, the fellow worked there several years and no one in authority ever asked him if he had a gun in his vehicle.

Something must have happened that is not mentioned in this account that precipitated his being questioned about whether or not he had a gun in his car.

As I understand it, the guy in question himself expressed an opinion, that IS mentioned.
I have been looking through our policies, but have not found anything yet regarding searching of employee private vehicles.

I do still belive it was a co-worker that turned me in. I just found out today, that same co-worker told another guy I is not legal for me to OPEN carry and it that it does not matter if I have a permit or not. He should know, he is a reserve LEO, and he knows it all.

I have had several other co-workers tell me they are now going to bring their firearms and not worry about it being inside thier locked vehicles. EVEN IF the company posts signs. I was supprised at how many others felt the same way.