• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else carry a S&W 500?

Bader

imported post

sw500.jpg

SpokaneIrish

imported post

Man, I hope I am not behind the guy you shoot with that thing. Actually, I hope I am not behind the guy, who is behind the building, that is behind the guy that you shoot with that.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I hope I'm not standing near the cylinder gap when you fire that thing.

Trigger Dr

imported post

These big guns have their place and are great for what they are designed for (ie hunting) For ocor cc it borders on ballistic exhibitionism. Shooting them just to impress someone is ballistic masturbation.

SpokaneIrish

imported post

I made my comment above partially in jest, but if this forum is really about trying to show people that OC is the act of a responsible citizen, you are not helping. It is certainly your right to carry that thing, but the overwhelmingly dangerous level of overkill that carrying such a weapon, anywhere except in grizzly bear country, represents looks foolish. Well, it is foolish, actually. If you were forced to use that weapon in a real defensive situation, you would likely be more dangerous than the bad guy.

If you used that gun and hurt someone down the block (or in the next area code), I would not be surprised to hear discussions about limiting the caliber of a carry gun and if I did hear such discussions, I would be hard pressed to say that they were wrong. Before this post, I would have said a caliber restriction would be unnecessary as no one would be silly enough to carry a Rhinoceros stopper in a city. Doing so is inconvenient, and unnecessary, and unnecessarily dangerous. I would have said, "Someone who buys a gun like that will soon know that it is too much gun for carry in populated areas".

As I said, it is your right to carry it, but don't kid yourself that you are doing anything but hurting the effort.

alienbogey

imported post

Shot a cylinder-full of a friend's 500. He offered me more rounds and I answered, "No thanks, that was plenty."

He fishes a lot in Alaska, which is why he bought it.

Hammer

imported post

I don't know if you've ever tried to recover a bullet from that, but I recently recovered a 265gr bullet from a 44 Mag fired at 950 FPS, a pretty light load for the gun.
It penetrated 36" of water, then an inch of wood before stopping.
For the benefit of any not already aware, water is considered a good substitute for flesh.
36"! That's 2 chest cavities and most of a 3rd!
I like big wheelguns too. But unless you have/get some frangible bullets, it is a lot of gun for self-defense.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bader wrote:

I carryaSmith revolver, but not that one.

How long have you been carrying your 500? Do you OC or CC or both?

What did you carry before you started carrying the 500?

Aaron1124

imported post

I'm under the impression that Bader is joking about carrying it. Maybe not, but I don't see why someone would need that much "heat" so to speak. I mean, like other posters have said, you're going to destroy anything behind the attacker/bad guy, so unless you live out in the boonies, I don't see why anyone would carry it, even though you are within your rights to do so.

Bader

imported post

Nope. No joke! I really do carry my 500. Not on a regular basis, but I carry it ocassionally. I don't know if anyone remembers/read my first post, but I introduced myself, and explained that I live out in the Greenwater area. The only city I ever really go to is Enumclaw, and that's just when I do major shopping. Everyone back here knows each other, for the most part. I live in a small residential yet rural neighborhood near route 74. I OC my 500, because quite frankly, it's pretty hard to CC, considering the size.

The following isn't my exact holster, but it's the exact same style as the one I use to carry my 500. And to the above posters question about what I have carried in the past: I've carried, and still carry a .357 and 1911 Colt .45. I don't carry them all at once, of course, but those are my three handguns that I carry. I honestly don't carry my 500 on a regular basis, but it's my carry weapon of choice when I hike (which I do quite frequently)

webley_holster.jpg