• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transportation

Hillmann

imported post

Just bought a "new" truck how can I legaly transport gun "long guns and pistols" in it and protect them from the weather and theft "not in bed". To be honest with my last truck they just rode around with me on the passanger seat unless I had passangers with me and then one of them would just hold on to them. For the most part it seams like as long as it is cased and unloaded most cops won't care but since there is case law on it it is possoble to get nailed for it and it would be nice to know how to be compleatley legal.

AaronS

imported post

At times, when I get that bad feeling, I lock my case to the rear seatbelt mount with a small gun cable lock. I also have a problem keeping the case out of reach. The way I look at it, I could touch my case from the drivers seat, but I could not open it if I had to. I would have to jump in back to get it open...

Again, Wisconsin gun laws are broken...

Hillmann

imported post

I suppose the only place I could transport it would be under the hood as it is in a waterproof case. Isn't that a common place for gang members to store there guns? Who knew, they are just obaying the law?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Again, Wisconsin gun laws are broken...
+1

There really is no great way to transport firearms in a truck. My best advice is this. Have them unloaded and completely encased in a case made specifically for firearms. I would suggest putting them on the floor of the rear cab and perhaps cover them with a blanket. I say this because that is likely the least visible place in a truck and therefore the least likely place to have them cause any trouble. If by some miracle an officer were to ask you why you have them like this then you say that you're doing it that way to prevent their theft when you have to run into a store. Even some crazy cop would see the logic in this.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
That would be concealment.
So is putting an unloaded firearm in a case...

What part of WI gun laws are broken did you not understand?

Quoted from Interceptor_Knight

"Safe transportation and CCW are 2 seperate statutes in different sections. You can comply with the CCW and be in violation of the safe transportation statute or you can comply with the safe stransportation statute and have a concealed weapon. "

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand that if you purposely throw a blanket over the fire arm you are purposely and intentionally concealing it.

If you simply have the fire arm in a case then you are concealing the fire arm in accordance with the law and as stated in the statutes.

What part of this don't you understand?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Well it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand that if you purposely throw a blanket over the fire arm you are purposely and intentionally concealing it.

If you simply have the fire arm in a case then you are concealing the fire arm in accordance with the law and as stated in the statutes.

What part of this don't you understand?
Yes, but since it's being concealed anyway and you have a good and reasonable reason for doing so it is unlikey that an officer, if he even found out it was there, would cite you for it. Hell, they barely know the laws that they enforce.

The second a cop knows there is a firearm in the car he's going to ask you if he can check it out. He has no ras to do so but he can still ask you. This will cause nothing but problems.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
The second a cop knows there is a firearm in the car he's going to ask you if he can check it out. He has no ras to do so but he can still ask you. This will cause nothing but problems.
You simply say, "I do not consent to any searches officer." A fire arm which is encased in accordance with the statutes does not give the officer RAS. Therefore he can not search with out your consent unless he has a warrant.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

here is a product that you could use, http://www.du-ha.com/legal.htm
They produce a locking case for under the rear seat of most extended cab trucks. And below I cut & pasted their WI disclaimer. The gun will need to be put in a case before being loaded into their product.

Maybe we could sticky this thread? Especiallyfor people just trying to research laws and run into this site and do not join?
[align=left]Wisconsin
(Not a legal gun case, unless guns are first placed in gun sleeves)
[/align]
[align=left]We received the following e-mail on June 15, 2006 from a Conservation Warden & Natural Resources Policy Officer at the Bureau of Law Enforcement for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

"In Wisconsin, it is illegal to place a firearm into a vehicle before it is completely cased and unloaded, and it is also illegal to remove a firearm from its case while the firearm/case is still inside of or on the vehicle.
[/align]
[align=left]In Wisconsin, there are several issues that must be considered regarding the use of a built in storage box to carry or transport firearms. The most serious potential penalty could be that of "Carrying a concealed weapon". Generally, if a firearm is legally unloaded and cased in a recognizable gun case, it would not be considered concealed. It is however illegal to place any firearm inside of or on a vehicle before it is first unloaded and completely enclosed within a case expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed. If a firearm is to be placed into a built in case or storage area located inside or on a vehicle, the firearm would first need to be unloaded and placed into a firearm case outside the vehicle, before it is placed into a special storage area inside of or on the vehicle.[/align]
[align=left]Firearms placed in the storage units pictured on your web site would be in violation of Wisconsin law unless they were first unloaded and placed inside of a separate firearm case outside the vehicle and then the cased firearm placed into these types of storage units.[/align]
[align=left]Section 941.23, Wis. Stats. Carrying concealed weapon.
Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
[/align]
[align=left]To "go armed" does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant's person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon's presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993). A defendant was properly convicted under this section for driving a vehicle with a gun locked in a glove compartment. State v. Fry, 131 Wis. 2d 153, 388 N.W.2d 565 (1986).[/align]
[align=left]Section 167.31, Wis. Stats. Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.
Prohibitions; vehicles

No person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
[/align]
[align=left]"Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.[/align]
[align=left]"Unloaded" means any of the following:
1. Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.
2. In the case of a cap lock muzzle-loading firearm, having the cap removed.
3. In the case of a flint lock muzzle-loading firearm, having the flashpan cleaned of powder."

[/align]
[align=left]The following description was found online...

Transporting Firearms in Motor Vehicles, Boats, or Aircraft.

In general, no one may place, possess, or transport a firearm in a motor vehicle, motorboat, or aircraft unless the firearm is unloaded and in a carrying case. Loading or discharging a firearm in or from a vehicle is also prohibited [ss. 167.31 (2) (a) and (b), and (3) (a)].
[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

In Wisconsin, there are several issues that must be considered regarding the use of a built in storage box to carry or transport firearms. The most serious potential penalty could be that of "Carrying a concealed weapon". Generally, if a firearm is legally unloaded and cased in a recognizable gun case, it would not be considered concealed. It is however illegal to place any firearm inside of or on a vehicle before it is first unloaded and completely enclosed within a case expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed. If a firearm is to be placed into a built in case or storage area located inside or on a vehicle, the firearm would first need to be unloaded and placed into a firearm case outside the vehicle, before it is placed into a special storage area inside of or on the vehicle.

OCDO Rule 7)!

Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.