Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just bought my first pistol

Post imported post

I just bought my very first pistal. It's a TISAS Zigana K. I think it's somewhat modeled after a walther P88 compact. I read some reviews online, and it sounds like a well made gun. It's made in turkey, and used by some turkish military and security forces from what i've read.

Now i need to get my CPL, and a couple of nice holsters.

I'll try to come to an open carry event soon so i can meet a few of you guys

--jason
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Banned

Post imported post

hmmmm well good luck with it, is about all I can say...

Post imported post

Congratulations! Just make sure you get it to the range and some down the pipe

Post imported post

Congratulations. Never heard of them, but it doesn't look all that bad. I hope it turns out to be a fine pistol and give you great service. Make sure to treat it properly by putting profuse amounts of ammo down the bore.

As a suggestion on a holster, You might check out NTAC. He is usually at Gibraltar on weekends, and makes a nice holster at a decent price.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Congrats! You always remember your first one.

Post imported post

Hey, that's great. :celebrate

Make sure it's reliable for you.

And give us a range report after you shoot it up.

Post imported post

Let me know if its any good. Looks like a really nice pistol. How much was it?

Post imported post

Looks nice, hopefully it functions just as nice. I think I speak for most when I say that I've never heard of the company, however, just because we haven't heard of it, doesn't mean that it's not a great functioning gun. If they're newer, or have most of their client base in europe, this wouldn't be too uncommon I imagine, but everyone has to start somewhere
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Dang not really a cheapy like I was hoping. Just looked it up on Gunbroker and they are like $350 to $400. I would rather by another Glock, H&K or Sig I think.

Post imported post

It is very nice looking though..

Post imported post

The company has only been around since 1993. I emailed a friend in Germany when I first read this and he just e-mailed back. He works for a security company and says that they are very popular among his employees and are quality firearms. They have been using them about 1 year and have had no problems after running thousands of rounds through them. He was surprised that they were as expensive as they were here; he considered them "economy but high quality". Perhaps they are all imported and that's what influences the price.

Nonetheless, I like it. Have fun!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

I have a friend who has one of the Turkish shotguns.. a pump and it is just as reliable as my 500 or any 870 I have ever used!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I'm not to fond of the safety, but it looks like a nice gun. Please give us a detailed range report after you take it out to the Pit or wherever you go...
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I'm not to fond of the safety, but it looks like a nice gun. Please give us a detailed range report after you take it out to the Pit or wherever you go...
    Same place as a berretta....
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Unless it's a grip safety, I don't believe a manual safety belongs on a defensive handgun. If someone wants one that's fine by me, millions of people like guns that have them, but they're definitely not needed if you have a good holster and a good gun.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Unless it's a grip safety, I don't believe a manual safety belongs on a defensive handgun. If someone wants one that's fine by me, millions of people like guns that have them, but they're definitely not needed if you have a good holster and a good gun.

"Millions" have them....but...."they're definitely not needed?"

You're saying that "millions" of gun-owners are making a mistake?

Um, how do you know that to be true?

And what happens if someone, out of the "millions" has a gun, with a manual safety but does not have a good holster? Is a manual safety OK with you then?

Post imported post

Without a good holster, I don't see a good reason to carry with the chamber hot.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

"Millions" have them....but...."they're definitely not needed?"

You're saying that "millions" of gun-owners are making a mistake?

Um, how do you know that to be true?

And what happens if someone, out of the "millions" has a gun, with a manual safety but does not have a good holster? Is a manual safety OK with you then?
    I obviously can not speak for Michigander, but what I gathered from reading the post is that he was simply saying that when you are in a defensive situation, seconds count. I have even known LEO's who forgot to deactivate the safety in the heat of the moment and one who almost paid with his life. I know that responsible carriers practice this over and again, and will never forget, but it may cost you precious seconds when it matters most.

I did not gather that Michigander was saying anything negative about those who choose to carry weapons with a manual safety.

Edit to add: Looks like Michigander did not need me to chime in. The posts are 8 minutes apart, but his was not there when I posted mine. BTW, I second that Michigander - the chamber should not be hot without a good holster.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

Yep, my points exactly.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Without a good holster, I don't see a good reason to carry with the chamber hot.
    Hmm, I thought we were talking about the manual safety being "definitely not needed if you have a good holster..."

Now, we're talking about carrying without one in the chamber.

OK. I can handle the switch.

So, if a person carries, say, a GLOCK 23, in a cheap, non-retention generic holster, then it's OK with you that he or she does so without one in the chamber?

Post imported post

Competition practice takes care of the safety trust me... I am taking off and putting on the safety constantly and have never forgotten it... and my times are no better or worse when I am shooting a glock on the same course of fire...

Post imported post

the pistol cost me $360. It is brand new, came with 2 magazines, a nice carrying case, owners manual and a gun cleaning kit.

I was very impressed with Lapeer County Sheriff's dept when it came to my purchase permit. I don't think the entire process took 10 minutes, and most of the time spent was me taking the very difficult test.

didn't have a chance to fire it last nite, the wife and i already had plans. I am working 24 hours today, but will fire at least 50 rounds tomorrow morning and report back.

Perhaps a topic for a different thread....I ride a motorcycle as my primary mode of transportation in the summer. I think i am legal if i transport the pistol unloaded, in a closed case separate from the ammo, and inside a cargo bag secured to my motorcycle. That would beinaccessable to me whilesitting on the bike.I would have to physically get off the machine to open the compartment where the pistolwould be stored. Then again, an officer would need reasonable suspicion to search my motorcycle anyhow as i would not give him permission if the scenario ever presented itself. I'll hopefully get my CPL soon then i can carry the weapon "concieled" on my motorcycle while it's strapped to my thigh andout in the open

i love this country!

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Hmm, I thought we were talking about the manual safety being "definitely not needed if you have a good holster..."

OK. I can handle the switch.

So, if a person carries, say, a GLOCK 23, in a cheap, non-retention generic holster, then it's OK with you that he or she does so without one in the chamber?
    People can do whatever the hell they want. I'm only expressing my opinions.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    HankT wrote:

OK. I can handle the switch.*

So, if a person carries, say, a GLOCK 23, in a cheap, non-retention generic holster, then it's OK with you that he or she does so without one in the chamber? As long as people make their choices in a conscious manner, I have no problem with it.
    People can do whatever the hell they want. I'm only expressing my opinions.
    WE know that, Michigander . Everything anyone writes here is an "opinion". I think you are just stating your preference; that is all. HankT likes to play the role of a gadfly and, looking at the posts in other state sections of OCDO, his opinions sometimes do get people quite upset.

I agree with you. However, I am one of the Glock 23 types with one in the chamber. I realize the issues and accept responsibility for my decision. Some people question the basic choice to carry. Some think carry in general is ok, but question whenothers choose to carry. Such is life.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

I shot 100 rounds of the cheapest ammo i could find through my tisas zigana K. I really like this pistol. It feels good in my hands, is accurate, really easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble. 15+1 rounds is pretty cool too. Is 13 bucks for 50 rounds about what i should be paying for cheap ammo? I'd like to purchase some quality ammo for personal protection and fire at least 100 rounds of that in the near future, but money is a little tight right now.

The only thing i don't really care for is the location of the safety. I feel like i have to reach for it more than i'd really like.

I also threw together a leather retention holster out of some scrap leather i had laying around. This was my first attempt at any leatherworking. I'm sure the next holster i make will be better. This one cost me zero dollars in materials, and just a few hours of my time. It is very functional and must not look too crude, as several people have asked me where i bought it.

photo taken with my crappy cell phone camera. I can't take a photo of it with the pistol in it today because i'm at work and we are not allowed to have firearms on city property while on duty. I don't think pre-emption applies to work rules involving employee/employer relationship's, even if the employer is a township.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast