• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just bought my first pistol

autosurgeon

imported post

Competition practice takes care of the safety trust me... I am taking off and putting on the safety constantly and have never forgotten it... and my times are no better or worse when I am shooting a glock on the same course of fire...

lapeer20m

imported post

the pistol cost me $360. It is brand new, came with 2 magazines, a nice carrying case, owners manual and a gun cleaning kit.

I was very impressed with Lapeer County Sheriff's dept when it came to my purchase permit. I don't think the entire process took 10 minutes, and most of the time spent was me taking the very difficult test.

didn't have a chance to fire it last nite, the wife and i already had plans. I am working 24 hours today, but will fire at least 50 rounds tomorrow morning and report back.

Perhaps a topic for a different thread....I ride a motorcycle as my primary mode of transportation in the summer. I think i am legal if i transport the pistol unloaded, in a closed case separate from the ammo, and inside a cargo bag secured to my motorcycle. That would beinaccessable to me whilesitting on the bike.I would have to physically get off the machine to open the compartment where the pistolwould be stored. Then again, an officer would need reasonable suspicion to search my motorcycle anyhow as i would not give him permission if the scenario ever presented itself. I'll hopefully get my CPL soon then i can carry the weapon "concieled" on my motorcycle while it's strapped to my thigh andout in the open

i love this country!

Michigander

imported post

HankT wrote:
Hmm, I thought we were talking about the manual safety being "definitely not needed if you have a good holster..."

Now, we're talking about carrying without one in the chamber.

OK. I can handle the switch.

So, if a person carries, say, a GLOCK 23, in a cheap, non-retention generic holster, then it's OK with you that he or she does so without one in the chamber?
People can do whatever the hell they want. I'm only expressing my opinions.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Michigander wrote:
HankT wrote:
Hmm, I thought we were talking about the manual safety being "definitely not needed if you have a good holster..."

Now, we're talking about carrying without one in the chamber.

OK. I can handle the switch. 

So, if a person carries, say, a GLOCK 23, in a cheap, non-retention generic holster, then it's OK with you that he or she does so without one in the chamber? As long as people make their choices in a conscious manner, I have no problem with it.

People can do whatever the hell they want. I'm only expressing my opinions.

WE know that, Michigander ;). Everything anyone writes here is an "opinion". I think you are just stating your preference; that is all. HankT likes to play the role of a gadfly and, looking at the posts in other state sections of OCDO, his opinions sometimes do get people quite upset.

I agree with you. However, I am one of the Glock 23 types with one in the chamber. I realize the issues and accept responsibility for my decision. Some people question the basic choice to carry. Some think carry in general is ok, but question whenothers choose to carry. Such is life.

lapeer20m

imported post

I shot 100 rounds of the cheapest ammo i could find through my tisas zigana K. I really like this pistol. It feels good in my hands, is accurate, really easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble. 15+1 rounds is pretty cool too. Is 13 bucks for 50 rounds about what i should be paying for cheap ammo? I'd like to purchase some quality ammo for personal protection and fire at least 100 rounds of that in the near future, but money is a little tight right now.

The only thing i don't really care for is the location of the safety. I feel like i have to reach for it more than i'd really like.

I also threw together a leather retention holster out of some scrap leather i had laying around. This was my first attempt at any leatherworking. I'm sure the next holster i make will be better. This one cost me zero dollars in materials, and just a few hours of my time. It is very functional and must not look too crude, as several people have asked me where i bought it.

photo taken with my crappy cell phone camera. I can't take a photo of it with the pistol in it today because i'm at work and we are not allowed to have firearms on city property while on duty. I don't think pre-emption applies to work rules involving employee/employer relationship's, even if the employer is a township.

holster.jpeg

T Vance

imported post

I carry a Glock 23, and was hesatint about having one in the chamber for about a month due to the lack of safety on that kind of gun. After that I started chambering it, went to a safe location a began to rattle my gun around the holster to see if I could get a round to discharge. After doing that for a while, I realized the chances of it going off in my holster were slim. Now I keep one chambered. I use a Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 retention holster.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Did some research on it its imported by EAA. Gotta figure it must be ok if there importing it. Not sure which model it is but the price seem a bit steep for the one I looked at. Just dont like the no name, unproven knock off's. Like I said EAA is importing it I am sure its worthy. To bad they dont come in a 10mm version...

lapeer20m

imported post

i've put hundreds of rounds through the pistol now. I've only had one instance where a shell failed to fire (could be the cheap blazer ammo) and that happened in the first 30 rounds.

i've used blazer, remington, and one other brand of cheap ammo, as well as a few rounds of the good stuff hornady tap jhp's.

i'm very happy with the pistol so far.