• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crossman 1010 BB Pistol

PDinDetroit

imported post

Seeking advice: I have a Crossman 1010 BB Pistol that fires Pellets and Darts as well. I have had it since I was 10 and was never registered as a Pistol here in MI. MI seems to have a very interesting law about this being a Regular Pistol and I want to get it handled properly (be legal and keep it at the same time).

I have a CPL. Should I just take it to the Royal Oak Police and/or Records Department to get it registered? How should I discuss this with them?

T Vance

imported post

I would call them and ask them what you should do about it. I'm not sure, but if you take it in to have it registered, make sure it is unloaded and in a case just to be safe. I thought I read somewhere that it has to be like that if you take a gun in for registration (but I think that was for safety inspections, which they don't do any more).

PDinDetroit

imported post

Well, I finally had a few minutes to get the HIGHLY DANGEROUS Air Pistol registered. Was no trouble at all, other than the fact of being completely ridiculous having to register it at all.

THway

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Seeking advice: I have a Crossman 1010 BB Pistol that fires Pellets and Darts as well. I have had it since I was 10 and was never registered as a Pistol here in MI. MI seems to have a very interesting law about this being a Regular Pistol and I want to get it handled properly (be legal and keep it at the same time).

I have a CPL. Should I just take it to the Royal Oak Police and/or Records Department to get it registered? How should I discuss this with them?
shooteyeout_distress-logo.jpg

Denny

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Well, I finally had a few minutes to get the HIGHLY DANGEROUS Air Pistol registered. Was no trouble at all, other than the fact of being completely ridiculous having to register it at all.
Amen to that brother! Utterly ridiculous. Next they will want paintball and airsoft guns registered so they can get some more money out of us. Was there any fees involved?

PDinDetroit

imported post

No fees.

Only time a BB Pistol needs to be registered is when it can fire projectiles other than BB's according to MI stupid wording of the definition of a Firearm/Pistol (MCL 28.421). This particular model fires BB's (18 held in hopper), Pellets (Single-shot), and Darts/Bolts (Single-Shot). The model I have came with about 10 Darts and Dart Board, I used to have a lot of fun with it as a kid. I have never fired a pellet through it.

http://www.pyramydair.com/site/manuals/marksman-1010/

Evil Black Pistol...

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
They don't. Rifled bore pellet guns do if they're not big enough to be a long gun.
The Marksman/Crossman 1010 is a smooth-bore and has to be registered based upon the law (MCL 28.421):

(b) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

Since it is not "exclusively" for BB's, it is then a Firearm and by resulting definition, A Pistol. If they were to change the BB's to Projectile, then this would not be a firearm. However, how would a .17 Caliber Rifle/Handgun (HMR/HM2) be treated if it was ever produced as a smooth-bore (not a likely occurrence)?

PDinDetroit

imported post

Maybe I should OC it in Warren now that it is registered - MWAAP. :what: It does fit nicely in my Fobus Paddle Holster

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Alot of pellet rifles don't even have 16" barrels. I wonder if Michigan considers them illegal SBR's. :uhoh:
My bet: Yes. They are currently modifying this law, so I may contact the Bill Initiator and request the change I listed above.

CaptainFinn

imported post

I grew up in Michigan but I no longer live there. When I was a teenager (Mid eighties) I had a crossman CO2 BB gun confiscated by Oakland County Sheriff's dept. I believe it was either Crosman or a Daisy. Basically it was a plastic shell resembling an Uzi, complete with folding stock. The actual gun fit inside the shell and was a copy of a WWII P 38 Walther. The cop who took it said a BB gun with a rifled barrel less then 16" was illegal under the NFA rules since it had a folding stock. :banghead:

And then there's the matter of my dadhaving to register a .31 caliber single shot muzzleoading deringer kit.:question:

I loved Michigan with all my heart but holy god I am glad to have lived in other states that don't have to deal with such nonsense.