• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Open Carry Story at Obama Rally

Jay

imported post

I watched this on CNN it was a peaceful rally, and I think it is great that these gentleman expressed their right to bear arms, and except for some :what: from the press and secret service it went remarkably well. There were no arrests and Arizona Police went on record stating that what they were doing was not illegal. Kudos to them

Jshu

imported post

Yep, I saw this on CNN. They said that anywhere the President goes is a federal site and thus no firearms are permitted. That was the first I had heard of that. Where do they draw the line?

TexasNative

imported post

Jshu wrote:
They said that anywhere the President goes is a federal site and thus no firearms are permitted.
They're making it up as they go along. Nothing new there.

~ Boyd

nova

imported post

Jshu wrote:
Yep, I saw this on CNN. They said that anywhere the President goes is a federal site and thus no firearms are permitted. That was the first I had heard of that. Where do they draw the line?
bs. As TexasNative said, the SS makes up crap all the time. Who's to stop them?:X:?

Sheriff

imported post

I'm gonna have to draw the line in the sand here now.I'll defend open carry all day long, but at the same time I personally feel nobody needs afirearm when attending any function where the President is. This is just plain exercising common sense versus the right to carry a firearm.

With some of the comments I have heard in real life lately, I would go far as to say anybody within 1,000 yards of the President should be disarmed. Whether any of us like Obama or not, I don't think we need to shave another JFK in the history books.

OK, feel free to flame me now! :shock:

Glock27Bill

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I'm gonna have to draw the line in the sand here now.I'll defend open carry all day long, but at the same time I personally feel nobody needs afirearm when attending any function where the President is. This is just plain exercising common sense versus the right to carry a firearm.

With some of the comments I have heard in real life lately, I would go far as to say anybody within 1,000 yards of the President should be disarmed. Whether any of us like Obama or not, I don't think we need to shave another JFK in the history books.

My main concern is what the union thugs will do to escalate the situation.

And the country does NOT need a martyr.

Jay

imported post

I do not agree with taking an AR-15 or any long gun, and parading it around in public. I do not agree with this if it is a presidential function or just going out for a coffee at the local 7-11. I am glad that nothing happened (I think that some positive came out of it as well as some negative) would I do it myself no way. However sheriff do you believe that someone should not be able to CCW at a presidential function or rally?? I feel that just because the president is coming to town does not mean that I can not legally carry, but discretion should be used.

gis

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

While I see your point, I feel that the only reason that these people are out there is because of Obama's anti-gun agenda. If he was trying to ban assault-motorcycles, I am sure that we would see a bunch of guys on their Harleys at these rallies. :lol: In my work as a cop, I have never taken a gun (when I had discretion) from anyone for "officer safety" unless their actions were criminal or irrational.

Althoughgoing to these ralliesis not something that I would do, I respect the rights of people to assert their Constitutional Second Amendment rights legally, especially when they are in danger of being taken away.

nova

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

The declaration of independence states all men are created equal and that we have certain inalienable rights granted to us by our Creator.

As far as I'm concerned, Obama's life is no more important than my own, he has hundreds of people with guns there to protect his life, why should I not be able to have a gun to protect my own? No one looks out for my safety but myself.

Not to mention, if someone was going to make an attempt on the president's life, why in the world would they open carry their firearms? Don't you think that would attract a little unwanted attention from SS sniper scopes? If that guy reached for his rifle I would count on him being put down with several shots before he could have even shouldered his rifle.

KBCraig

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I personally feel nobody needs afirearm when attending any function where the President is. This is just plain exercising common sense versus the right to carry a firearm.

With some of the comments I have heard in real life lately, I would go far as to say anybody within 1,000 yards of the President should be disarmed.

Why?

This "common sense" is often cited, yet never explained.

TexasNative

imported post

Also, are we not a nation of laws? It'd be nice if someone would actually pass a law before the Secret Service starts banning guns.

And then there's the concern of such a law's constitutionality.

Oh, and the "making it up as they go along" remark I made earlier can equally apply to CNN and the Secret Service. In that particular case, I'm pretty sure it was CNN making it up. Y'know, instead of reporting the truth.

Facts are such annoying things!

~ Boyd

lostone1413

imported post

nova wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

The declaration of independence states all men are created equal and that we have certain inalienable rights granted to us by our Creator.

As far as I'm concerned, Obama's life is no more important than my own, he has hundreds of people with guns there to protect his life, why should I not be able to have a gun to protect my own? No one looks out for my safety but myself.

Not to mention, if someone was going to make an attempt on the president's life, why in the world would they open carry their firearms? Don't you think that would attract a little unwanted attention from SS sniper scopes? If that guy reached for his rifle I would count on him being put down with several shots before he could have even shouldered his rifle.

I'm with you 100%!!!!!!!!!!! To tell the truth the life of my family is way more important then Obama's life is to me

If us Peasants can't be armed at certain places then no one in Government should be allowed to be armed either. That is unless you believe that people in Government are more honest and law-abiding then us Peasants. A search of news stories from around the country will tell you that isn't the case

Armed

imported post

I agree, that the open carry of arms at such political rallys makes for a very strong statement. [read the comments on the news article from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/18/dozen-protesters-guns-outside-obama-speech/comments/]

However - I would caution that we seriously consider what we're doing here. If some wack-job liberal really wanted to make a splash, and ensure a negative public opinion on the open carry of firearms, all he/she would have to do is show up at one of these rallyswith an arm or two, and begin spraying the crowd with bullets.

Now just think about the long-term impact of something like that. How would that play out?

cREbralFIX

imported post

Well, the guy who did that would be charged with murder. If other folks were carrying openly, he'd be lucky to survive.

Open carry means it is dangerous for terrorists. Ask the Israelis.

We need 100 open carriers at the next event!!!

Did anyone else notice...THE BLACK MAN WITH A GUN!

Are we sure that wasn't Danbus in disguise????

johnfenter

imported post

Under 18 USC 3056, the Secret Service sets up areas designated as National Security Events. They establish a perimeter, search all those entering, and keep a watch on the areas outside the event as well. Within that perimeter around the POTUS, the Federal authority overrides state/local laws. OUTSIDE the perimeter is not "at" the event, it's just next to it. State and local laws apply. The men who have been carrying at the NH and AZ events have been outside the event, not at it. There was no threat to the POTUS or other dignitary, since they arrived/departed in armored SUV's and embarked/disembarked from those SUV's while out of view of the protestors. And, I'm sure they were under observation the whole time. So what's the big deal? As long as the local LE and the SS weren't overly concerned about this, why should anyone else get their panties in a bunch? Those guys had a RIGHT to do what they did, and some may not like it, but should be standing tall to defend that right. Just as you would defend free speech you didn't agree with.