• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teach your children to shoot.

Combat Veteran

imported post

My 19 yr. old grandson shot & killed a pitbull that was after me; one shot,one kill. He learned to shoot from his father whenhe was just 9 yrs. old, and has hunted with his father for the past 5 yrs. in Ohio & Michigan. My wife thought it "sick" to teach children to shoot guns---but I'll never let her forget that Davy may have saved me from serious injury or death.

Erus

imported post

Welcome to the board.
I couldn't agree more. My Dad taught me to shoot as soon as I could hold the rifle, just like I did for my own kids. Bought my daughter her first .22 for Christmas when she was 12. My son's is next. I will also buy them both their first handgun at 18.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If you teach kids to properly handle and shoot guns at an early age than there is no 'mystery' about guns and they are less likely to get curious and have an 'accident'!
Just like with language, the more you teach them the younger they are the easier it is as they get older. It is extremely difficult for an adult to learn a new language!

Glock It

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
If you teach kids to properly handle and shoot guns at an early age than there is no 'mystery' about guns and they are less likely to get curious and have an 'accident'!
Just like with language, the more you teach them the younger they are the easier it is as they get older. It is extremely difficult for an adult to learn a new language!

AGREE 100%,, my 13 y/o daughter has her G19 and an AR.. my 8 y/o has a SIG Mosquito... being open w/them about guns and getting them acclimated to their use.. they will have no reason to sneak into the parents room to sniff around ..

I ask my kids if they want to go hit some gun shops or shooting and generally they are like uhh no. :X SpongeBob is coming on..

MSC 45ACP

imported post

You're preaching to the choir on this one. 18 year old daughter OC's a Glock 21SF. The other kids (16 and 13 year old girls and 10 year old boy) know how to load the AK that sits behind my chair. They know where to find the loaded magazines and what do do if (or when) the zombies come through the door. They've all been to the range and have shot my HK USP 45, sister's Glock 21 and the AK.

They'll be ready if the zombies come...

JohnK87

imported post

My son has shot my pistols (with me holding my hands over his) but I wanted something that he could do by himself since he is 5 yrs old. I got an Airsoft pistol and M4 carbine and we've been shooting them out in the shop. He's learning about sight alignment and has a literal blast, especially since the M4 has a full auto setting :celebrate

miked

imported post

TFred wrote:
It's impossible to completely "kid-proof" your guns... "Gun-proof" your kids instead.

TFred
Best advice. From my experience, kids (or anyone for that matter) that have never been exposed to guns are much more curious and more likely to "play" round with one if they come across it.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Daddyo wrote:

Interesting storyline for your book. I'llread it whenI getthe chance. I'm an unpublished author (with the exception of Cricket magazine as a young teenager and a photo in the Washington Postwhen I was in high school). I need to get motivatedto finish a project I started 20 years ago.

One of the most important life-skills you can teach your children is proper firearms safety and marksmanship.

rpyne

imported post

And don't forget, start them young.

My heart was warmed Wednesday evening while I was on duty as RSO at a local range when a young father brought his two daughters to learn to shoot. They were six and four years old. It was wonderful to see him carefully teaching them proper safety and handling as well as marksmanship. Each of them took turns shooting both a rifle and a handgun with the loving and gentle help of their father. I'm not sure what make the rifle he used was, but it was sized for a child and had a bull barrel. He set up sandbags to support the barrel so they could concentrate on the the instruction and target. The handgun looked like an NAA .22 Black Widow mini revolver and was perfect for their small hands.

The other thing about them that caught my attention is how well behaved these young children were. They obviously have parents who love them enough to teach them how to be welcome in society. Not once did their father have to correct their behavior. When they arrived at the range, he calmly and gently gave them instructions on where they were to stay as he got them outfitted with ear plugs and safety glasses. Each girl in turn sat on a chair behind the yellow line while the other was getting her turn at instruction.