Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eureka moment regarding Barrett?

Post imported post

I'd say the press peaked on this Monday. What can we do to keep the real issue alive?

What are the thoughts and willingness to chip in and buy our fine mayor some protection?

Can you imagine the press? Positive goodwill always wins points - even with the haters. We could present it to him with a statement on behalf of law abiding Milwaukee citizens in support of safe communities through the use of 2nd ammendment and WI constitutional rights, and project some empathy towards him regarding his injuries and our hope that he never finds himself in a life threatening situation again.

Engrave it. Make it personal - something he'll at least be inclined to keep for the thought put into it... Include some training classes.

Who's in? Brainstorm. This is national attention folks - Obama even called him.

We will have to act fast before it hits the memory hole.

Post imported post

lol, count me in on this...

Post imported post

Let's get some $$ amounts for those willing to front this gesture.

Anyone with experience with escrow or some system of holding the money in good faith please post it here.

Anyone willing to set this up? A citizen advocacy group based here that's already established would speed things along.

If there's significant interest that builds quick I can set up a site - if we can get that escrow thing going we can put a ChipIn on the site.

Spread it far and wide - citizens everywhere should feel free to contribute IMO.

Oh - and the gun. We will need to decide on that quickly.

I could probably get things lined up on the press side, unless someone else has experience/contacts and is willing. I have a few connections through my run for state assembly.

And we need to work on a statement that would go along with our gesture.

Keep it moving, identify roadblocks and provide solutions. Feel free to take charge of parts of this idea.

Post imported post

I'll pitch in $500 if someone here on this forum can make this happen within 7 days. I think this is a fantastic idea but speed is critical here...

Tim Schmidt
    tim@USConcealedCarry.com

Post imported post

I'dthrowin an amount.

What is is needed to do this? Someone to take the bull by the horns? Does it need a local organization backing?

If you need a guy, I can probably do that (not familiar with the escrow stuff), but I have no connections to a local action group, or to the beloved Milwaukee Mayor.

Since there will be a firearm transfer (on the off chance that he accepts our gift) we should get an FFL involved too.

Bob

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

A transfer with strings might need an FFL, but a gift?

Post imported post

You are right, techinically you don't need an FFL Transfer for a gun transaction (gift or otherwise) between 2 WI citezens, however, to put a good face on it, wouldn't it be better to have the leader of the as yet undetermined organization, standing with Barrett at a City of Milwaukee Gun Shop having the background check done etc.

Might be good for the media.

However a gift with no FFL would make th actual hand off faster, since the background check will already be done.

As for the gun, I think a 9mm Compact Semi auto would be best. It's not as scary big as a .45 (even though that would be my choice). Also, lets not make it a glock, whicle they are very well respected, they have that 'gangsta' appeal which would be something for the media to jump on.

Springfield XDM, S&W M&P, etc...

Post imported post

When you buy a gun you have to check that box that says you aren't buying it for someone else. What's wrong with the good ol' gift certificate. Offer to go with and help him pick something out. He might have woman hands and want something with a small grip. Or he may like the girth of a full size Glock. He may never have shot a gun..... who knows. I think he should pick out his own gun. That way, when he doesn't accept it, we don't have a homeless gun that multiple people have money in on...... I'll contribute a small amount of $. Great idea

Post imported post

REKIII wrote:
    . Also, lets not make it a glock, whicle they are very well respected, they have that 'gangsta' appeal which would be something for the media to jump on.
    U serious? How left are you?

Post imported post

I'm so left, my heart bleeds non-stop.

Are you serious? Because I point out a view of the sheep, that glocks are scary and only purchased by gangbangers, I'm left?

I think glocks are great, they are not my personal choice, but most anti's or people unfamiliar with guns will not understand the virtues of a particular gun, only the connotation they give.

Post imported post

It's just that the idea of the mayor getting a gun, publicly, has such a huge impact that the brand he gets is insignificant. It's the fact that he got a gun. I don't let the sheeple decide what I do, I do what I think is right. If the sheeple don't like it, tough. I understand this isn't about me, kinda a principle I guess. Morals and principles

Post imported post

I follow that. But it is a public statement to the sheep, therfore taking into consideration what the sheep will twist and mis-interpret is somewhat important.

If we didn't care about the sheep, there wouldn't be a need for a public statement at all.

I'm not saying it can't be a glock, just wouldn't be my first pic in this situation.

Bob

Banned

Post imported post

REKIII wrote:
    However a gift with no FFL would make th actual hand off faster, since the background check will already be done.
    ??Not left perhaps but something...

Banned

Post imported post

A S&W 410 S, that would be perfect.

Mike and Nik are you available for the presentation?

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Although thisa great way to try and make our side understood, I thinkthis would be appreciated by Barrett as much as a vegetarian would appreciatea freshly butchered hog presented to them.

It is a very rare situation that a liberalanti-gun politicianever sees the light and realizes their viewpoint has been wrong.
    The few peopleI know that have changed their views, haveendured a situation very similar to whatthe mayor had happen.

The liberal mind is a very strange phenomenon, Somehow I feel that the mayor will bring up this guys upbringing, and try to rationalize that somehow he deserved the beating he recieved for interfering with his evening.
    Lets look at the countless liberal do-gooders that try to help innercity communities and they end up getting injured or killed by the people they are trying to help. And they still do not understand, and will continue to try and help and only make excuses as to why the person tried to kill them and how it isnlt their fault.

"People need to be responsible for their own actions" is not something I would ever expect people like Barrett to say or understand.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

I'd be worried that he has a record and we'd get nabbed for transferring a firearm to a felon.:shock:

Who knows, all kinds of stuff like that get's turned up on these politician types.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned

Post imported post

Banned

Post imported post

What need of an FFL have we if we citizens are subject to all the same laws and requirements of an FFL?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This would be awesome if we could get some type of press out of this. If we could have a little presentation ceremony with some media types there to see it....

Post imported post

So maybe the right course of action would be to work with a city of Milwaukee Gun Store (not sure if there even are any). Purchase the gift certificate, notify media, set up a press conferance/gifting thing. Then we could have representatives from opencarry.org, USCCA, and whomever else there.

The gun store could present on behalf of the contributors this certificate for $x for the purchase of a self protection firearm and applicable accessories. Also maybe present him with a certificate for a self defense training program of some sort.

And possibly a written offer from someone or an organization (maybe the gun store if it has a range) to take the Mayor shooting at a range to help him familiarize himself with his new firearm.

Post imported post

I can't give any money but if you want it engraved I could do that for free,although I am in Cameron so it may be easier to have it done down there.

Also a few comments were made on the site that should probly be edited if this actualy happens. Dont want press attention and have comments about the incident saying that it was funny and ironic.

Banned

Post imported post

He won't use the certificate and it will be wasted money that could be used for a greater cause.

Such as a legal defense fund.

Give it time, let him count the stitches in his head for a few days and the broken bones in his hand.

Maybe he will come around then, but I doubt it. Once Flynn gives him his reward for bravery, it will be business as usual.

Centurion

Post imported post

Hell no...

We had to scrape our knuckles on the ground to get enough money to run a few radio ads and people are ready to throw money at a free gun for a guy who has done and said more to quash our rights than anyone else?

I don't play that way.

The point is well taken (that a gun would be a great idea for the Mayor and everyone else) but we can make that point without allocating monies that are WAY better spent in other endeavors.

Banned

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Hell no...

We had to scrape our knuckles on the ground to get enough money to run a few radio ads and people are ready to throw money at a free gun for a guy who has done and said more to quash our rights than anyone else?

I don't play that way.

The point is well taken (that a gun would be a great idea for the Mayor and everyone else) but we can make that point without allocating monies that are WAY better spent in other endeavors.
    I'm sorry I was kidding. I forgot to add that in there

Post imported post

I don't like the gift certificate idea - easier to refuse or turn down. I like the S&W suggestion - not a big scary gun...If its engraved with "from" and "to" it makes it all the more personal, and all the more likely that it will at least be accepted - even if never used. A certificate is easy to say 'thanks but no thanks' to, or just never use it, whereas something that represents intrinsic value and an effort of time and craftsman ship (engraving part) would be more of snub.

It's not about whether Barrett will actually appreciate the gun - it's about solidarity with even the most anti-gun against all this violence and making a clear statement that armed citizens have less to fear and less to lose.

So we have a willing FFL - I think that's the way to go.

We've got $500 and engraving pledged. We're halfway there. Amounts don't matter - the number of individuals contributing does. That said I'm pledging $10 and I'll probably be dealing with the web site. We could probably get one of the shops to pledge some lessons no?

Lets keep it moving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast