• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eureka moment regarding Barrett?

SixDegrees

imported post

I'd say the press peaked on this Monday. What can we do to keep the real issue alive?

What are the thoughts and willingness to chip in and buy our fine ;) mayor some protection?

Can you imagine the press? Positive goodwill always wins points - even with the haters. We could present it to him with a statement on behalf of law abiding Milwaukee citizens in support of safe communities through the use of 2nd ammendment and WI constitutional rights, and project some empathy towards him regarding his injuries and our hope that he never finds himself in a life threatening situation again.

Engrave it. Make it personal - something he'll at least be inclined to keep for the thought put into it... Include some training classes.

Who's in? Brainstorm. This is national attention folks - Obama even called him.

We will have to act fast before it hits the memory hole.

SixDegrees

imported post

Let's get some $$ amounts for those willing to front this gesture.

Anyone with experience with escrow or some system of holding the money in good faith please post it here.

Anyone willing to set this up? A citizen advocacy group based here that's already established would speed things along.

If there's significant interest that builds quick I can set up a site - if we can get that escrow thing going we can put a ChipIn on the site.

Spread it far and wide - citizens everywhere should feel free to contribute IMO.

Oh - and the gun. We will need to decide on that quickly.

I could probably get things lined up on the press side, unless someone else has experience/contacts and is willing. I have a few connections through my run for state assembly.

And we need to work on a statement that would go along with our gesture.

Keep it moving, identify roadblocks and provide solutions. Feel free to take charge of parts of this idea.

REKIII

imported post

I'dthrowin an amount.

What is is needed to do this? Someone to take the bull by the horns? Does it need a local organization backing?

If you need a guy, I can probably do that (not familiar with the escrow stuff), but I have no connections to a local action group, or to the beloved Milwaukee Mayor.

Since there will be a firearm transfer (on the off chance that he accepts our gift) we should get an FFL involved too.

Bob

REKIII

imported post

You are right, techinically you don't need an FFL Transfer for a gun transaction (gift or otherwise) between 2 WI citezens, however, to put a good face on it, wouldn't it be better to have the leader of the as yet undetermined organization, standing with Barrett at a City of Milwaukee Gun Shop having the background check done etc.

Might be good for the media.

However a gift with no FFL would make th actual hand off faster, since the background check will already be done.

As for the gun, I think a 9mm Compact Semi auto would be best. It's not as scary big as a .45 (even though that would be my choice). Also, lets not make it a glock, whicle they are very well respected, they have that 'gangsta' appeal which would be something for the media to jump on.

Springfield XDM, S&W M&P, etc...

GlocksRfun

imported post

When you buy a gun you have to check that box that says you aren't buying it for someone else. What's wrong with the good ol' gift certificate. Offer to go with and help him pick something out. He might have woman hands and want something with a small grip. Or he may like the girth of a full size Glock. He may never have shot a gun..... who knows. I think he should pick out his own gun. That way, when he doesn't accept it, we don't have a homeless gun that multiple people have money in on...... I'll contribute a small amount of $. Great idea

GlocksRfun

imported post

REKIII wrote:
. Also, lets not make it a glock, whicle they are very well respected, they have that 'gangsta' appeal which would be something for the media to jump on.
U serious? How left are you?

REKIII

imported post

I'm so left, my heart bleeds non-stop.

Are you serious? Because I point out a view of the sheep, that glocks are scary and only purchased by gangbangers, I'm left?

I think glocks are great, they are not my personal choice, but most anti's or people unfamiliar with guns will not understand the virtues of a particular gun, only the connotation they give.

GlocksRfun

imported post

It's just that the idea of the mayor getting a gun, publicly, has such a huge impact that the brand he gets is insignificant. It's the fact that he got a gun. I don't let the sheeple decide what I do, I do what I think is right. If the sheeple don't like it, tough. I understand this isn't about me, kinda a principle I guess. Morals and principles

REKIII

imported post

I follow that. But it is a public statement to the sheep, therfore taking into consideration what the sheep will twist and mis-interpret is somewhat important.

If we didn't care about the sheep, there wouldn't be a need for a public statement at all.

I'm not saying it can't be a glock, just wouldn't be my first pic in this situation.

Bob

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Although thisa great way to try and make our side understood, I thinkthis would be appreciated by Barrett as much as a vegetarian would appreciatea freshly butchered hog presented to them.

It is a very rare situation that a liberalanti-gun politicianever sees the light and realizes their viewpoint has been wrong.
The few peopleI know that have changed their views, haveendured a situation very similar to whatthe mayor had happen.

The liberal mind is a very strange phenomenon, Somehow I feel that the mayor will bring up this guys upbringing, and try to rationalize that somehow he deserved the beating he recieved for interfering with his evening.
Lets look at the countless liberal do-gooders that try to help innercity communities and they end up getting injured or killed by the people they are trying to help. And they still do not understand, and will continue to try and help and only make excuses as to why the person tried to kill them and how it isnlt their fault.

"People need to be responsible for their own actions" is not something I would ever expect people like Barrett to say or understand.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd be worried that he has a record and we'd get nabbed for transferring a firearm to a felon.:shock:

Who knows, all kinds of stuff like that get's turned up on these politician types.:uhoh:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This would be awesome if we could get some type of press out of this. If we could have a little presentation ceremony with some media types there to see it....

Flamethrower

imported post

I woiuld be happy to FFL this.

Here is where I see a problem. If someone gives him a gun even if legally purchased, he and others will just scream about the gunshow loophole crap. A certificate would be good.