• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can my 18 year old sister OC my handgun in OH?

Bustelo5%

imported post

I am very confused of how the law works on this one.
I will be purchasing a second gun prob a glock 45 compact and I would like her to OC seeing that shes all of 98 pounds and drunk frat kids everywhere.

I know she cannot purchase a handgun,but since I am her brother/guardian till she turns 21 I want let her OC my handgun.

Can anyone shed some light on this complex issue?

Brian D.

imported post

The short answer, I believe,is yes...but you'd better (almost literally) keep her attached to you with a tether cord while she's OC-ing.

There's been more than one discussion of this on the OFCC forums, concentrate your search in the 'Open Carry Discussion' section, but keep in mind that part of their board is relatively new.

Also, you likely know how to find the relevant sections of the ORC on this subject.

One more thing: Is she willing/responsible/competent enough to carry a gun? That's not intended as a sleight, carrying a gun is more than a political statement,and NOT supposed to be used as a bluff against possible attack.

Bustelo5%

imported post

well I have been training her and she is defintly ready and im not the biggest fan of women going places alone with out protection.
Thanks I did a search for the topic broadly but the results werent to promising.
The only thing in the ORC that I have found is that she cannot purchase a handgun,also the inheriting thing is very complicated and on purpose to prevent the youth from knowing the truth that they have the right to their defense also.

knighted4

imported post

I don't know about Ohio but in PA you can not lenda gun to someone who does not have a license.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
What part of this DON'T you understand?

Bustelo5%

imported post

its not me who needs the understanding its the state and fed gov. There are many opions on this subject and I can lend my gun to her but I dont want to have to bail my 98 pound sister out of jail. In the house its different but OCing in Ohio thats pretty tough. I guess I could just buy her a shotgun but a handgun is deifferent when it comes to how ignorant the law is in the self defense of our citizens 18-20.

I see your argument and I agree I just dont think the law does.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Also the misunderstanding is shrowed in things like LTCF and CCW Permit.So under 21 it seems that using a handgun to defend your self is a misdemeanor 4.

But I guess the handgun 21 year old fed law is only for states who require you to hide your gun idk im stumped

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

It might be best to talk with an attorney who is well versed in Ohio firearms law. Some of the guys here or with one of the Ohio firearm rights organizations should be able to point you to one near you. Although I have no idea how much a short consultation would cost.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Yeah your completly right I think that may be one of the only ways to get this situation straightened out.
I was thinking about going to the prosecuters office and seeing what they have to say.

knighted4

imported post

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(4) Sell or furnish a firearm to a person who is eighteen years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the firearm for the purpose of selling the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(5) Sell or furnish a handgun to a person who is twenty-one years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(6) Purchase or attempt to purchase any firearm with the intent to sell the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or with the intent to furnish the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(7) Purchase or attempt to purchase any handgun with the intent to sell the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or with the intent to furnish the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age.

(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-31-1997

According to paragraph 3 you can not give your sister a handgun. I do not believe OC falls under any of the above.

This is how I read it.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
What part of this DON'T you understand?

Bustelo5%

imported post

This is my exact reason why I am hesitant for my sister to OC in Ohio,we need a federal law that says if your a citizen then you can can oc no prob.

DMWyatt

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
This is my exact reason why I am hesitant for my sister to OC in Ohio,we need a federal law that says if your a citizen then you can can oc no prob.
I disagree. All we need to do is get the handgun age requirement dropped to 18 like everything else. Problem solved, she then has the same rights as all of us once the people in Ohio push for the state law to come up to par.