Thread: Anyone OC'ing in Staunton Va?

Post imported post

I have a Virginia issued CHP and most always carry concealed in our daily walks through Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton. I would rather OC but can find nothing on Staunton city laws and whether or not they have issues with OC. Has anyone out there had experience with this?

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO.
    http://vaguninfo.com/pages/opencarry.htm

Please do yourself a favor and get/carry a quality Voice recorder and brush up on VA laws regarding firearms.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thank you for clarifying the code for me.

Post imported post

I live in Harrisonburg, and Kendo_Bunny lives in Staunton. Feel free to send either of us a PM.

In fact, here's her only post on the matter. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/14778-1.html

Never mind the title, it ended pretty well, if you read it through. I'm quite proud of her.

Also, if you are not getting the Virginia Citizen Defense League's newsletter, you may want to get that, as well. You can find them at http://www.vcdl.org

Edit: Also, Agent 19 is a pretty sharp cookie, and he speaks the truth.

Fun fact: You won't find any laws on the books of Staunton (or VA in general) that say you can wear a red shirt, but that doesn't bar you from doing it, does it?

The law says what you can't do. Everything else is permissible.

Oh, and +1 on that voice recorder advice. Virginia is a one-party record state, AND public officials have no expectation of privacy when conducting official business, so you're duly covered.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words.
    By this time next yr I'll live a lot closer to Harrisonburg, we'll have to go shooting.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thank you for the information. We had a digital recorder at one point but I can't even begin to tell you where it is. I'll be picking up another one.

Post imported post

I live there and have open carried here occasionally without issue.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Post imported post

I have OCed at restaurants and gas stations when passing through. No issues. Just a couple :shock:

Post imported post

HeroHog wrote:
    Oh hey big guy! Hope to see you at the Fairgrounds in a couple of months!

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    HeroHog wrote:
    Oh hey big guy! Hope to see you at the Fairgrounds in a couple of months!
    For what event? What date? Which Fairgrounds? Who am I?
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

Post imported post

VCDL table, of course! The one at the Rockingham Fairgrounds.

Post imported post

Sure! We most always work Harrisonburg andFishersville. We work Roanoke and Richmond at the Showplace when we can and every once in a while, we work Richmond Raceway and Salem. We will be doing 9/12 and Innsbrook as well as Lobby Days etc.

OC in Staunton

I have openly carried in staunton several months now and have had no comments good or bad. Its as if no one cares and God willing it stays that way. Its not a show piece its a tool. Used for defense just as a hammer is used to build.

Quote Originally Posted by WildMan View Post
    I have openly carried in staunton several months now and have had no comments good or bad. Its as if no one cares and God willing it stays that way. Its not a show piece its a tool. Used for defense just as a hammer is used to build.

Your's may not be a "showpiece" and may be only a tool for defense, but my OC'ed weapon is a showpiece and it is for educating the public, as well as possibly use in defense against attack. The education consists of the knowledge that responsible adults can carry firearms in public places without using them to threaten and itimidate others. Learning that those of us who OC are just common ordinary people that want to preserve our inate right to protect ourselves and our loved ones. It goes well beyond just self defense alone. Few of us will ever be involved in a self defense situation, hopefully, but we can all be involved in demostrating the need for the tools and demonstrating that we are mature enough to handle them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot II View Post

Your's may not be a "showpiece" and may be only a tool for defense, but my OC'ed weapon is a showpiece and it is for educating the public, as well as possibly use in defense against attack. The education consists of the knowledge that responsible adults can carry firearms in public places without using them to threaten and itimidate others. Learning that those of us who OC are just common ordinary people that want to preserve our inate right to protect ourselves and our loved ones. It goes well beyond just self defense alone. Few of us will ever be involved in a self defense situation, hopefully, but we can all be involved in demostrating the need for the tools and demonstrating that we are mature enough to handle them correctly.
    +10000000

I must say, " if everyone had the same mind set, the world would be a better place.".. We can wish.

Welcome back Gutshot2!

Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

I do understand what you gave said. However im sorry that you call it a showpiece. Because in so doing you are inadvertently saying you wanna shove it in peoples faces. Which is something i dont agree with.

I do understand what you gave said. However im sorry that you call it a showpiece. Because in so doing you are inadvertently saying you wanna shove it in peoples faces. Which is something i dont agree with.
    I did not "inadvertently say" anything. I said what I said straight out. You don't get to decide what I meant by what I said. I meant what I said and nothing more and nothing less. I said nothing about wanting to shove it in peoples faces. I have never done anything similar to that in my life and never wanted to. My home is a showpiece, by I don't shove that in peoples faces, either. Here is how the dictionary defines the word, showpiece:
    noun
    something that attracts attention or admiration as an outstanding example of its type.
    "the factory has expanded and become a showpiece of American industry"
    something that offers a particular opportunity for a display of skill.
    "the serenade was a showpiece for the wind section"
    an item of work presented for exhibition or display.

I don't see anything there about shoving things in peoples faces. Learn that words have real meanings and that you don't get to make them up as you go along to suit your purpose. Learn to think, speak and write like an adult.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Way too big a leap.

My EDC is definitely a showpiece, but never do I have a desire to shove anything in another's face.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Gutshot in his previous life.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Gutshot in his previous life.
    now that is a show piece