• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Men Gather At Obama's Town Hall

Repeater

imported post

This is from CBS News and The Associated Press.

Armed Men Gather At Obama's Town Hall

About a dozen people packing heat, including one man with a semi-automatic rifle, milled with protesters outside Phoenix's convention center, where Obama was speaking Monday. At Obama's town hall in New Hampshire last week, a man stood outside with a pistol strapped to his leg.

Gun-rights advocates say they're exercising their constitutional right and police say they are not violating any laws.

But Northern Arizona University political scientist Fred Solop says guns at political rallies create "a chilling effect" and inhibit "honest communication."

Bart McEntire, a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, told SPLC researchers that this is the most growth he's seen in more than a decade.

"All it's lacking is a spark," McEntire said in the report.

It's reminiscent of what was seen in the 1990s — right-wing militias, people ideologically against paying taxes and so-called "sovereign citizens" are popping up in large numbers, according to the report. The SPLC is a nonprofit civil rights group that, among other activities, investigates hate groups.

William Kostric was holding a sign while atObama's New Hampshire town hall that read "It Is Time To Water The Tree Of Liberty," invoking a phrase from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Kostric was wearing a loaded handgun on his leg.

Kostric was questioned by MSNBC's Chris Matthews over his choice to carry "a goddamned gun at a presidential event."

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So people getting assaulted by union thugs doesn't create "a chilling effect" and inhibit "honest communication"?

As far as I'm concerned, we need a lot more guns, and a lot more people protesting. The left started the violence, now these bed wetters are upset that people aren't going to put up with it? SCREW THEM!!

6L6GC

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
So people getting assaulted by union thugs doesn't create "a chilling effect" and inhibit "honest communication"?

As far as I'm concerned, we need a lot more guns, and a lot more people protesting. The left started the violence, now these bed wetters are upset that people aren't going to put up with it? SCREW THEM!!

Good point. I noticed the union thugs didn't beat the crap outta this Brutha. He also had on a sidearm on the left side but I couldn't make out what it was. The media punks were so busy wetting their pants over his rifle that they didn't seem to notice the handgun.

It's clear that they didn't know how to handle the situation with the man being black. They wanted desperately to talk trash about him but didn't dare fearing being called racists. I had to laugh at those neutered fools.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

You'll notice how the press is all up and scared about this? Where were they when the Black Panthers stood in front of a school where voting was taking place last November and not only intimidated whites, but assaulted them as well.

Racism knows no boundaries.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

What POTUS and his spokesholes will never admit publicly is that they didn't choose all his town hall sites to be in open carry areas by accident.

Open carry deters crime, riots, and assassins. Where were the town halls where violence broke out? Ybor City, FL (state ban), and St. Louis, MO (county and/or city ban not blocked by preemption).

POTUS is no moron to avoid a repeat of recent history.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Repeater wrote:
But Northern Arizona University political scientist Fred Solop says guns at political rallies create "a chilling effect" and inhibit "honest communication."
And did the reporter follow up with a demand for the professor to prove his methodology?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:

As usual, something happens regarding guns in this country and the two sides line up to be counted. The same facts in an event generate generate two conclusions.

1. This [event] happened. This proves weneed less guns!

2. This [event] happened. This proves weneed more guns!

These positions are the less guns good, more guns bad (LGGMGB) and the more guns good, less guns bad (MGGLGB). Ho, and hum. Same-O. Same, oh.

Here's another article about the event. That dreaded White House's public statements about guns is astounding! :cuss:

White House Backs Right to Arms Outside Obama Events
But Some Fear Health Talks Will Spark Violence

[size=-1]White House Backs Right to Arms Outside Obama Events
But Some Fear Health Talks Will Spark Violence
[/size]

[size=-1]By Alexi Mostrous
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
[/size]

[size=-1][/size]

PH2009081803561.jpg

A man with an AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle joins protesters outside an event in Phoenix where President Obama was discussing health-care reform.

[size=-1][/size]

[size=-1]Armed men seen mixing with protesters outside recent events held by President Obama acted within the law, the White House said Tuesday, attempting to allay fears of a security threat. [/size]

[size=-1]Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said people are entitled to carry weapons outside such events if local laws allow it. "There are laws that govern firearms that are done state or locally," he said. "Those laws don't change when the president comes to your state or locality." [/size]

[size=-1]Anti-gun campaigners disagreed with Gibbs's comments, voicing fears that volatile debates over health-care reform are more likely to turn violent if gun control is not enforced. [/size]

[size=-1]"What Gibbs said is wrong," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Individuals carrying loaded weapons at these events require constant attention from police and Secret Service officers. It's crazy to bring a gun to these events. It endangers everybody." [/size]

[size=-1]The past week has seen a spate of men carrying firearms while milling outside meetings Obama has held to defend his health-care reform effort. On Monday, a man with an AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle strapped to his shoulder was outside a veterans' event in Phoenix. He was one of a dozen men who reportedly had guns outside the forum. [/size]

[size=-1]Phoenix police made no arrests, saying Arizona law allows weapons to be carried in the open. [/size]

[size=-1]Last week, a man with a gun strapped to his leg held a sign outside an Obama town hall meeting in Portsmouth, N.H., that read: "It's time to water the tree of liberty." [/size]

[size=-1]Before the same meeting, Richard Terry Young, a New Hampshire resident, was arrested by the Secret Service for allegedly having a loaded, unlicensed gun in his car. Young was stopped inside the school where Obama held the forum, having reportedly sneaked past a security perimeter. [/size]

[size=-1]Ed Donovan, a spokesman for the Secret Service, said incidents of firearms being carried outside presidential events are a "relatively new phenomenon." But he said the president's safety is not being jeopardized. [/size]

[size=-1]"We're well aware of the subjects that are showing up at these events with firearms," he said. "We work closely with local law enforcement to make sure that their very strict laws on gun permits are administered. These people weren't ticketed for events and wouldn't have been allowed inside and weren't in a position outside to offer a threat." The immediate area occupied by Obama on such trips is considered a federal site where weapons are not permitted, Donovan said. [/size]

[size=-1]Lawmakers holding tense town hall debates about health-care reform also have seen armed constituents. The staff of some, including Rep. Stephen I. Cohen (D-Tenn.), have taken precautions to guard against guns being brought into gatherings. [/size]

[size=-1]"We asked everyone with firearms to check them with the sheriff before we began the meeting," said Marilyn Dillihay, Cohen's chief of staff, describing an Aug. 8 town hall debate in Memphis. "We've never done that before." The decision was made because the number of people at the event and the subject of the debate created a "potentially a volatile situation," she said. [/size]

[size=-1]"Obviously there's a lot of emotion with health care," Dillihay said. "Feelings are very tense, and we were just trying to make sure that things were safe." [/size]

[size=-1]One man at the meeting disclosed that he had a firearm and complied with a request to put it in his vehicle, she said. [/size]

[size=-1]Other lawmakers said they intended to take no precautions in future town hall meetings or to ask the advice of local law enforcement. C.J. Karamargin, a spokesman for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), said the congresswoman will "balance rights guaranteed under the Second Amendment and providing her constituents with a safe forum to share their views." [/size]

[size=-1]Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University at San Bernardino, said concern about whether Obama will enact new gun restrictions may also be contributing to the tense political climate. [/size]

[size=-1]"There's a lot of anger out there," Levin said. [/size]

[size=-1]"A key thing that's been bubbling under the surface is what's going on with President Obama and guns," he said. "There is a real question mark not only for extremists but for gun rights advocates in the mainstream." [/size]

[size=-1]
[/size]

Thank God for the NRA..... :cool:

SOneThreeCoupe

imported post

Am I the only one happy to see that he's black?

The larger our racial diversity while open carrying, the larger our potential audience and the greater reception we will have.

People need to see that OC isn't a white thing, it's a freedom thing.

buster81

imported post

http://ricksanchez.blogs.cnn.com/

Why bring guns to a publicmeeting?

Rick follows up on that video that shows a man outside a President Obama event in Phoenix with an AR-15 on his back. In this interview, he asks Ernest Hancock ofFreedomsphoenix.com, why carry guns to a public gathering, whether it’s legal or not? You gotta watch this.

Blog editor’s note: After today’s newscast, we heard from Phoenix Police Sergeant Andy Hill. He had this to say about the meeting Ernest Hancock referred to during the interview: [/i]

“The Phoenix Police Department has had a Community Response Unit for many years whose task is to interact with all possible community groups and organizations.The purpose is to encourage an open dialogue and address issues.When it comes to demonstrations, open communication with those who plan on demonstrating is critical to the public safety.The building up of trust with these groups enables us to understand their intent, to plan accordingly, and to explain to them the law and what the parameters are with law enforcement.We work with our federal, state, and local partners who work events with us and share public safety information.The purpose of the meeting with the person in question you asked about was to facilitate good communication and understanding of the group’s plan, our response, and the parameters within which we would work to protect the public and enforce the law.Their demonstration was met with our public safety plan, and the result was no law violations, no arrests, and a safe public.”[/i]

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:

The larger our racial diversity while open carrying, the larger our potential audience and the greater reception we will have.

Agreed, but not many of us give race a second thought. I'm sure someone on a liberal blog has made it a major issue though.

6L6GC

imported post

HankT wrote:
[size=-1]"We're well aware of the subjects that are showing up at these events with firearms," he said. "We work closely with local law enforcement to make sure that their very strict laws on gun permits are administered. These people weren't ticketed for events and wouldn't have been allowed inside and weren't in a position outside to offer a threat." The immediate area occupied by Obama on such trips is considered a federal site where weapons are not permitted, Donovan said. [/size]

WHAT!!!!! The SS guy said that they expect the local LEO types to enforce their "very strict" laws !!

But the brady bunch (and others like them) sez that all the gun laws in the country are lax. The V Tech mourners who want to ensure that your son/daughter is easily killed too sez that the laws are lax.

Heck, you can buy a gun at any gun show NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!!!!!

Repeater

imported post

HankT wrote:
[size="-1"]Ed Donovan, a spokesman for the Secret Service, said incidents of firearms being carried outside presidential events are a "relatively new phenomenon." But he said the president's safety is not being jeopardized. [/size]

[size="-1"]"We're well aware of the subjects that are showing up at these events with firearms," he said. [/size]
I thought we are Sovereigns, not 'subjects' -- His attitude needs adjusting.

PT111

imported post

The whole OC or CC at these town hall meeting is going great but I really, really hope some idiot does not try to do something that even closely resembles a threat. One idiot with a gun can destroy years of work in just a few seconds. If you don't believe it just consider the assination of JFK and the attempt on RR.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
The whole OC or CC at these town hall meeting is going great but I really, really hope some idiot does not try to do something that even closely resembles a threat. One idiot with a gun can destroy years of work in just a few seconds...

Emphaticallly agree.

Of course, if some IWAG does do something inexcusable, we all get together and excuse him by, uhm, blaming it on the victim(s) or something.

Like with the PA health club shooting by George Sodini two weeks ago. Citizen,I think it was, suggested the strategy of blaming the victims for not defending themselves with guns. We always have that strategic arrow in our quiver...

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:

Yeah I thought that was great. The media didn't know what group to put him in. If he had been white they would have called him a racist redneck militia member. They can't put him in that group.

It would only have been better if he said he is also a Democrat:D

Phssthpok

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
SOneThreeCoupe wrote:

Yeah I thought that was great. The media didn't know what group to put him in. If he had been white they would have called him a racist redneck militia member. They can't put him in that group.

It would only have been better if he said he is also a Democrat:D

As if a little thing like his skin color would prevent the media from doing just that.:uhoh:

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
PT111 wrote:
The whole OC or CC at these town hall meeting is going great but I really, really hope some idiot does not try to do something that even closely resembles a threat.  One idiot with  a gun can destroy years of work in just a few seconds...

Emphaticallly agree.

Of course, if some IWAG does do something inexcusable, we all get together and excuse him by, uhm, blaming it on the victim(s) or something. 

Like with the PA health club shooting by George Sodini two weeks ago.  Citizen, I think it was, suggested the strategy of blaming the victims for not defending themselves with guns. We always have that strategic arrow in our quiver...

I thought this was yet another victim disarmament zone massacre? Sodini and every mass murderer know exactly where to go...