• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ocing in an airport

crosscobra

Banned
imported post

So i am from Grand rapids and had to drive to Detroit metro yesterday to get a buddy and i was VERY early. so i thought i would get a bite to eat inside the airport while i wait. I think to myself "Can i OC in an airport?" (btw i do not have CPL/CCW) so i call a guy i met at the Grand Rapids Picnic and ask, his reply call and ask the cops. so I call the state police and get ahold of there firearms division where she tells me it is law full to OC in the airport but because its private prop they can ask me to leave or be arrested for trespassing( i understand that) but she started to go on about if i had the firearm in my car. i told her yes it was in the trunk, she then went on to tell me about the legal transport of a firearm. Now am i 100% legal in transporting my pistol in the truck for the purpose of Oc at my destination?

btw i did not Oc at the airport as my buddy flight was delayed 3 hours

T Vance

imported post

I don't see why you can't OC in an airport. But you wouldn't be able to get to far into the airport anyway. Most airports I have been to, the security check points are pretty much right up front, and the food is usually past those points.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

You can OC in the airport as long as you do not enter the sterile areas. Federal law comes into play there. The airport is run by Wayne County so I question the private property part.

WAYNE COUNTY AIRPORT AUTHORITY
AIRPORT ORDINANCE

View or Download a PDF of the Wayne County Airport Authority Airport Ordinance document (338KB PDF)

SECTION 11: SECURITY
11.8 No Concealed Weapon or Explosive. Except as provided in Section 11.8 (e), a person shall not:
a. Carry on the Airport a deadly or dangerous weapon, concealed or otherwise, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to them prior to entering a Sterile Area or Secured Area unless the weapon:
1. if a firearm, is unloaded or, if not a firearm, is de-activated to the greatest possible extent; and
2. is packaged for shipment in a locked container or is otherwise secured; or
3. is in the possession of a Person licensed by the State to carry a concealed weapon.
b. Carry on the Airport any explosive or incendiary, concealed or unconcealed, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her; or
c. Carry on the Airport any explosive, incendiary, or deadly or dangerous weapon on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her:
1. when performance has begun of the inspection of the individual’s person or his or her accessible property before entering the Sterile Area; or
2. when entering into or while in any Sterile Area or Secured Area of the Airport.
d. For the purpose of this Subsection 11.8, a weapon shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, a pellet pistol or rifle, a knife, cutting instrument, blackjack, bow and arrow, sling shot, metal knuckles or martial arts weapons.
e. Section 11.8(a) shall not apply to those Persons authorized to carry a weapon on an Aircraft or to a law enforcement officer while on official duty. Section 11.8(a), (b) and (c) shall not apply to Persons who have received the express written permission of the CEO to carry weapons, explosives or incendiary devices on the Airport.
f. For the purpose of Section 11.8, “unloaded” shall mean the firearm has no live round of ammunition, cartridge, detonator or powder in the chamber or clip, magazine or cylinder inserted therein.
g. Violation of this Subsection is a misdemeanor.

SECTION 20: RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR CROSSWINDS MARSH
20.12 Firearms. A Person shall not, at any time, bring into or upon Crosswinds Marsh property or have in their possession, nor discharge or set off anywhere upon said property, a bow and arrow, spear, revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air gun, or any gun, rifle, firearm or any other weapon that discharges projectiles either by air, explosive substance or any other force. Provided, however, that this Subsection shall not apply to any duly authorized law enforcement officer or Authority employee, agent, or contracted employee while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of his or her position.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Here is out map: http://www.opencarry.org/restaurant.html

if anyone has any feedback re corrections, please let us know with cite toauthority - this map pertains to state statutes - in some state, like KY, localities are not competlely preempted, so in KY's case, if the locality bans concealed carry, which they have auth to do, open carry is required at airports.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

crosscobra wrote:
So i am from Grand rapids and had to drive to Detroit metro yesterday to get a buddy and i was VERY early. so i thought i would get a bite to eat inside the airport while i wait. I think to myself "Can i OC in an airport?" (btw i do not have CPL/CCW) so i call a guy i met at the Grand Rapids Picnic and ask, his reply call and ask the cops. so I call the state police and get ahold of there firearms division where she tells me it is law full to OC in the airport but because its private prop they can ask me to leave or be arrested for trespassing( i understand that) but she started to go on about if i had the firearm in my car. i told her yes it was in the trunk, she then went on to tell me about the legal transport of a firearm. Now am i 100% legal in transporting my pistol in the truck for the purpose of Oc at my destination?

btw i did not Oc at the airport as my buddy flight was delayed 3 hours

She is uniformed of the change in transport law in 2006. Before that you could not transport a handgun in a vehicle unless you were going to and from certain places described in the law.

Now you can transport a handgun for any lawful purpose.

That old law was one reason nobody without a CPL OCed, it was nearly impossible to do so without violating a transport law.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

In many US airports, guns are OK outside security
By Shannon Mccaffrey, Associated Press Writer
ATLANTA — Flying in the U.S. has been transformed since Sept. 11, with passengers forced to remove their shoes, take out their laptop computers and put liquids and gels in clear plastic bags. Yet it's perfectly legal to take a loaded gun right up to the security checkpoint at some of the nation's biggest airports.
An Associated Press survey of the 20 busiest U.S. airports found that seven of them -- Philadelphia, Detroit, Phoenix, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles and San Francisco -- let people with gun permits carry firearms in the general public areas of the terminal.

Some anti-terrorism experts say that is a glaring security loophole that could endanger airport workers, passengers and people waiting to pick them up or see them off. Some suggest that allowing guns in terminals is practically asking for them to be smuggled aboard a plane.

"If your airport is not secure, then the security of your airplanes is jeopardized," said Rafi Ron, former security chief at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel who now works as an aviation consultant. "You cannot separate the two."

Other authorities say the nonsecure areas of the terminal are no different from other public venues and do not warrant special restrictions.

"It's really not more of a concern than at a mall or a train station," said Philadelphia police Lt. Louis Liberati.

Under federal law, it is illegal everywhere to try to carry a gun through a security checkpoint. The rest of the terminal, however, has long been the domain of state and local authorities.

Jon Allen, a spokesman for the federal Transportation Security Administration, said the TSA has not taken a position on guns in airports and has no authority under federal law to ban them.

The issue has led to clash in Georgia between a new state law that allows guns on public transportation and the Atlanta airport's ban on loaded weapons. Last month, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit brought against the city by a gun rights group. At an earlier hearing, he warned that guns at the world's busiest airport could pose a "serious threat to public safety and welfare." The gun group has appealed.

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, was surprised to learn that airports have been allowing weapons for years, and warned that Congress could move to ban the practice. In a July letter to TSA, Thompson called guns in terminals "a threat to the safety of airline travelers."

However, even at those airports that ban guns, officials are not frisking people or using metal detectors on them as they enter the terminal. Experts say an additional layer of security like that would be unworkable at America's bustling airports.

In 2002, an Egyptian immigrant killed two people and wounded several others near a ticket counter at the Los Angeles airport before he was shot to death by an El Al Israel Airlines security guard.

Some gun owners who take their weapons to the airport cite the need for protection. Others carry a gun frequently and say they do not want to be bothered finding a place to stash it if they go to the airport.

Joel Rosenberg, a firearms instructor in Minneapolis, said he regularly carries a gun to the city's airport and has not heard of any problems caused by the policy.

"People who are law-abiding are going to be law-abiding whether they have a .38 snubby on their hip or not," he said.

Some airports that allow the guns say they are trying to accommodate the culture of their patrons.

"We like our guns in Michigan," said Scott Wintner, a spokesman for Detroit Metro Airport.

Similarly, Brian Murnahan, spokesman for the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, said his airport's policy is driven by pragmatism: Texans often carry guns. "While we certainly don't encourage people to bring guns to the airport, we are trying to be reasonable," he said.

The state's other major airport has a strict no-guns ordinance.

"It's posted everywhere," said Marlene McClinton of Houston-George Bush Intercontinental Airport. "But this is Texas," she said, explaining that the airport has cited some visitors for violations. Unlawful carrying of a weapon is a misdemeanor in Texas, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

Gun rights supporters say law-abiding citizens with guns could fire back and cut short a gunman's rampage. But Ron, the Israeli security expert, said the last thing airport security agents need is a hail of bullets and no idea who the bad guy is.

"That leads to chaos," he said, "and that can lead to tragedy."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-15-752672054_x.htm