• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why against NRA?

mahkagari

imported post

The NRA just sent me a solicitation. I see a lot of people have a negative opinion about them as an organization. I've heard "NRA stands for 'negotiate rights away'" and that they are too compromising on 2A. I've also heard they like to spend money to put up a big show but not accomplish anything.

Can anyone give me anything specific and concrete? I.e. what things have they compromised on, how should their money be spent thatit's not, etc. I generally have a problem with awareness/lobbyist organizations. Like a lot of breast cancer organizations are solely to make people "aware" that it exists and do not put any money toward medical research.

So before I respond to the solicitation, can you tell me why I shouldnot chip in a few bucks to Selleck/Heston's appearance fees to represent 2A education? Does the GOA do a better job?

Or further, is there somewhere else I should pursue some sort of certification to help my daughters' 4H/scouting firearms education?

entartet17

imported post

Let me preface my remarks with the fact that I am a member of the NRA and they often do a good job fighting for gun rights. That being said, they've done some pretty stupid things also.

The NRA caved on the Brady Campaign's National Instant Check System.

The NRA supported closing the non-existent "gun show loophole" as a means to appease anti-2A groups.

The NRA supported the 1934 National Firearms Act as well as numerous state bans on concealed carry. (This was a long time ago, however)

The NRA supported expanding the Brady Insta Check System and the passage of state-level "baby Brady" bills.

These are just some examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

ScottyT

imported post

Bottom line: they are willing to negotiate our rights away when negotiation is unacceptable. They would be out of business if our rights were secure.