Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: Anti-gun bigotry may be losing traction..due to OC incidents

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Anti-gun bigotry may be losing traction.

    Some open-carry incidents at Obama events have not raised the angst of American citizens, only some televisiontalking headsand anti-gunners

    http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m8d18-FOLLOWUP-Antigun-bigotry-may-be-losing-traction

    Or try this:

    http://tinyurl.com/qlfjyh

  2. #2
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    Dave Workman wrote:
    Anti-gun bigotry may be losing traction.

    Some open-carry incidents at Obama events have not raised the angst of American citizens, only some televisiontalking headsand anti-gunners

    http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m8d18-FOLLOWUP-Antigun-bigotry-may-be-losing-traction

    Or try this:

    http://tinyurl.com/qlfjyh
    Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.
    The fact this fellow was black really gave some people a shock.

    It wouldn't have been my first choice to walk around with an AR on my shoulder. but in the final analysis, the guy wasn't breaking any law and nobody got hurt.

    A big "So what?" at the end of the day. It gave MSNBC an opportunity to sound alarmist and make fools of themselves.

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.
    Hmm, caused nervousness...but not ... panic.

    I'm not sure how that is a benefit.

    I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG....

    As far as "we" needing more, ahem, color, in our ranks....well, that it is alwaysusually good idea to have diversity of membershiinmajor political and social efforts. If "we" can achieve some major, or proportional, diversification in our ranks, hey, great.

    But, and I'm open to being convinced otherwise, the pro-gun rights/ownership community seems largely white--probably significantly whiter than the general population. There are several reasons for that.

    What's our diversity in our membership here at OCDO? Do we stack up to the gen pop's proportions of Hispanics (~15%), Blacks (~13.5%) and Asians (~5%).

    We have some, of course. Some members have identified themselves as being part of the minorities represent in the 34% of the general population.

    But is more than 1/3 of OCDO of a so-called minority status?

    I doubt it.

    That's not bad, necessarily. I don't say that. It is what it is.

    But it ain't 34%.

    Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter. The former being, of course, more important than the latter.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter.

    I love diversity... as long as everyonethinks just like me.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Dave Workman wrote:
    It gave MSNBC an opportunity to sound alarmist and make fools of themselves.

    Something this community does on a nearly daily basis.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran Nelson_Muntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    What's our diversity in our membership here at OCDO? Do we stack up to the gen pop's proportions of Hispanics (~15%), Blacks (~13.5%) and Asians (~5%).
    Why don't you set up a poll?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    This has absolutely helped the OC movement. Just think of how many more people now know that openly carrying a firearm is completely legal in most states that didn't last week. Isn't that one of the main goals? To educate the public that open carry is legal, normal, and absolutely safe (safer than not carrying in fact, for everyone).

    I'm continually amazed at how many people still don't realize that it is in fact legal.... well, how many didn't prior to this event. However, this one single incident has probably gotten that message out (the legality of open carry) to more people than every open carry picnic that's been held in the entire country over the last several years.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.
    Hmm, caused nervousness...but not ... panic.

    I'm not sure how that is a benefit.

    I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG....

    As far as "we" needing more, ahem, color, in our ranks....well, that it is alwaysusually good idea to have diversity of membershiinmajor political and social efforts. If "we" can achieve some major, or proportional, diversification in our ranks, hey, great.

    But, and I'm open to being convinced otherwise, the pro-gun rights/ownership community seems largely white--probably significantly whiter than the general population. There are several reasons for that.

    What's our diversity in our membership here at OCDO? Do we stack up to the gen pop's proportions of Hispanics (~15%), Blacks (~13.5%) and Asians (~5%).

    We have some, of course. Some members have identified themselves as being part of the minorities represent in the 34% of the general population.

    But is more than 1/3 of OCDO of a so-called minority status?

    I doubt it.

    That's not bad, necessarily. I don't say that. It is what it is.

    But it ain't 34%.

    Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter. The former being, of course, more important than the latter.
    Your math is off just a scoche. Current demographics surveys show that the Caucasian population is currently 74% which means the rest of the US population occupies only 28%. That is not to diminish the idea of American inclusiveness, but diversity for diversity's sake should always be fought. Multiculturalism and diversity are not good.... American inclusiveness, the American melting pot and American exceptionalism should be promoted at every opportunity.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  10. #10
    Newbie madrevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    Um, 74 + 28 = 102.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    Maybe he rounded up? Or maybe some people reported being multiple races?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Your math is off just a scoche. Current demographics surveys show that the Caucasian population is currently 74% which means the rest of the US population occupies only 28%. That is not to diminish the idea of American inclusiveness, but diversity for diversity's sake should always be fought. Multiculturalism and diversity are not good.... American inclusiveness, the American melting pot and American exceptionalism should be promoted at every opportunity.


    You totalled missed his point. To review, the point was WHY is this community less diverse. Take a look in the mirror and read my first postif you want a clue.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    Most blacks vote democrat, democrats are usually more anti-gun than republicans. Plus the inner cities are home to more criminal use of firearms and the inner cities are more often black than white.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    N00blet45 wrote:
    Most blacks vote democrat, democrats are usually more anti-gun than republicans. Plus the inner cities are home to more criminal use of firearms and the inner cities are more often black than white.
    That's a good try, but, no. Here's another hint. It doesn't have to do with THEM, it has to do with YOU (or rather this community as a whole). It's the same reason many people are so rabidly anti-gun even though it isn't the guns themselves that they object to.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist? Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

    It does have to do with them. I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one. I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds. You know of one?

    They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners. I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense. The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    N00blet45 wrote:
    Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist? Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

    It does have to do with them. I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one. I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds. You know of one?

    They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners. I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense. The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?
    You're still not quite there. I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole. What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minorityfolks?

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter.

    I love diversity... as long as everyonethinks just like me.
    For some reason the way you think reminds me of Pinky and the Brain.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    N00blet45 wrote:
    Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist? Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

    It does have to do with them. I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one. I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds. You know of one?

    They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners. I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense. The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?
    You're still not quite there. I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole. What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minorityfolks?
    Or, instead of playing 20 q, you could simply state your view. That would go a long way towards keeping your first question, and your main point on the same page.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  19. #19
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    N00blet45 wrote:
    Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist?¬* Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

    It does have to do with them.¬* I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one.¬* I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds.¬* You know of one?

    They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners.¬* I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense.¬* The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?
    You're still not quite there.¬* I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole.¬* What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minority¬*folks?
    Too many trolls from Connecticut? I'm sure that keeps some people away.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.
    Hmm, caused nervousness...but not ... panic.

    I'm not sure how that is a benefit.

    I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG.....
    I disagree. This case has gotten more (good) national exposure than just about any other case like this recently. It also was impossible for the media to portray it as a racist event, even though at least one outlet DID make an attempt to mask the race of the person to allow "scare" tactics in their reporting.

    The bottom line of the AZ event was that:
    1) a citizen carried an "assault weapon" near a political rally, accompanied by other armed citizens, and no one got shot, threatened, or arrested because of it.
    2) the citizen was NOT the media choice of a white racist.

    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote: I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG....
    And, pray tell Hank, just what DID happen to "Our very own BMWAG" ??? :X:X:X:X

  22. #22
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    That's a good try, but, no. Here's another hint. It doesn't have to do with THEM, it has to do with YOU (or rather this community as a whole). It's the same reason many people are so rabidly anti-gun even though it isn't the guns themselves that they object to.
    Yes, it is Liberty they object to. They hate liberty. They hate freedom... unless that liberty and freedom is used in ways they agree with. They are progressives like yourself who are enemies of freedom and enemies of liberty.Brainwashedby the progressive movement, they have little respect for this country and follow scumbags like Reverend Wright or Al Sharpton who's job it is to agitate their community into a frothing mass of ignorant buffoons rather than to try and realize MLK's dream. None of them want MLK's dream because "diversity" is their bread and butter. Keeping people separated is their way of keeping the country on edge and making their community believe that somehow, they have no chance unless they're a part of the NAACP or some other racist group.

    Unlike you however, they don't pretend to be our allies.

    Chris from Arizona on the other hand isa part of one of our true libertarian organizations. There are others just like him and we in these organizations are of all colors and creed. So your sophomoric arguments and insinuations about how we're a bunch of racist white supremacists just won't fly.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    That's a good try, but, no. Here's another hint. It doesn't have to do with THEM, it has to do with YOU (or rather this community as a whole). It's the same reason many people are so rabidly anti-gun even though it isn't the guns themselves that they object to.
    Yes, it is Liberty they object to. They hate liberty. They hate freedom... unless that liberty and freedom is used in ways they agree with.

    WINNER!!! That's exactly what they hate, people like YOU. You just described yourself and the stereotypical pro-gunner to a ******* TEE.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kent, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    474

    Post imported post

    Well I agree to some respect to this post and I am part of that diversity. Im half Sicilillian part choctaw raised by puerto ricans in Hawaii hows that for diversity.

  25. #25
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Bustelo5% wrote:
    Well I agree to some respect to this post and I am part of that diversity. Im half Sicilillian part choctaw raised by puerto ricans in Hawaii hows that for diversity.
    YOU just made the point of the biggest problem we have... WHY can't we all just be AMERICANS??? Why do we need to be hyphenated? An interest in your heritage is good, but don't rely on it for employment and don't use it as a crutch or excuse if you break the law. The only ones I see playing the "race card" are the offenders themselves. If you break the law, you aer held accountable, regardless of your skin color or national origin. WHY are there more blacks in prison than whites? Did they commit the crime? Did they get caught? Why can't people just accept responsibility for their OWN ACTIONS and leave skin color OUT of the equation???
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •