• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun bigotry may be losing traction..due to OC incidents

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Anti-gun bigotry may be losing traction.

Some open-carry incidents at Obama events have not raised the angst of American citizens, only some televisiontalking headsand anti-gunners

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m8d18-FOLLOWUP-Antigun-bigotry-may-be-losing-traction

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/qlfjyh
Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.

Dave Workman

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Yeah Dave, even the guy with the AR didn't panic people... some were obviously nervous.... but they willingly talked to the guy and discussed their fears.... this guy has done more positive work for our effort than anyone yet. We need more people in groups of mixed race (so people cannot claim we're KKK) to stand together armed and peaceful... as a reminder of who the American people are and that while we may be more armed than any other society, those of us not hiding in the shadows are the safest and most trustworthy gun owners out there.

The fact this fellow was black really gave some people a shock.

It wouldn't have been my first choice to walk around with an AR on my shoulder. but in the final analysis, the guy wasn't breaking any law and nobody got hurt.

A big "So what?" at the end of the day. It gave MSNBC an opportunity to sound alarmist and make fools of themselves. ;)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hmm, caused nervousness...but not ... panic.

I'm not sure how that is a benefit.

I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG....

As far as "we" needing more, ahem, color, in our ranks....well, that it is alwaysusually good idea to have diversity of membershiinmajor political and social efforts. If "we" can achieve some major, or proportional, diversification in our ranks, hey, great.

But, and I'm open to being convinced otherwise, the pro-gun rights/ownership community seems largely white--probably significantly whiter than the general population. There are several reasons for that.

What's our diversity in our membership here at OCDO? Do we stack up to the gen pop's proportions of Hispanics (~15%), Blacks (~13.5%) and Asians (~5%).

We have some, of course. Some members have identified themselves as being part of the minorities represent in the 34% of the general population.

But is more than 1/3 of OCDO of a so-called minority status?

I doubt it.

That's not bad, necessarily. I don't say that. It is what it is.

But it ain't 34%.

Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter. The former being, of course, more important than the latter.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter.

I love diversity... as long as everyonethinks just like me.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

This has absolutely helped the OC movement. Just think of how many more people now know that openly carrying a firearm is completely legal in most states that didn't last week. Isn't that one of the main goals? To educate the public that open carry is legal, normal, and absolutely safe (safer than not carrying in fact, for everyone).

I'm continually amazed at how many people still don't realize that it is in fact legal.... well, how many didn't prior to this event. However, this one single incident has probably gotten that message out (the legality of open carry) to more people than every open carry picnic that's been held in the entire country over the last several years.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

HankT wrote:

I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG....

As far as "we" needing more, ahem, color, in our ranks....well, that it is alwaysusually good idea to have diversity of membershiinmajor political and social efforts. If "we" can achieve some major, or proportional, diversification in our ranks, hey, great.

But, and I'm open to being convinced otherwise, the pro-gun rights/ownership community seems largely white--probably significantly whiter than the general population. There are several reasons for that.

What's our diversity in our membership here at OCDO? Do we stack up to the gen pop's proportions of Hispanics (~15%), Blacks (~13.5%) and Asians (~5%).

We have some, of course. Some members have identified themselves as being part of the minorities represent in the 34% of the general population.

But is more than 1/3 of OCDO of a so-called minority status?

I doubt it.

That's not bad, necessarily. I don't say that. It is what it is.

But it ain't 34%.

Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter. The former being, of course, more important than the latter.
Your math is off just a scoche. Current demographics surveys show that the Caucasian population is currently 74% which means the rest of the US population occupies only 28%. That is not to diminish the idea of American inclusiveness, but diversity for diversity's sake should always be fought. Multiculturalism and diversity are not good.... American inclusiveness, the American melting pot and American exceptionalism should be promoted at every opportunity.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Your math is off just a scoche. Current demographics surveys show that the Caucasian population is currently 74% which means the rest of the US population occupies only 28%. That is not to diminish the idea of American inclusiveness, but diversity for diversity's sake should always be fought. Multiculturalism and diversity are not good.... American inclusiveness, the American melting pot and American exceptionalism should be promoted at every opportunity.

You totalled missed his point. To review, the point was WHY is this community less diverse. Take a look in the mirror and read my first postif you want a clue.

N00blet45

imported post

Most blacks vote democrat, democrats are usually more anti-gun than republicans. Plus the inner cities are home to more criminal use of firearms and the inner cities are more often black than white.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Most blacks vote democrat, democrats are usually more anti-gun than republicans. Plus the inner cities are home to more criminal use of firearms and the inner cities are more often black than white.

That's a good try, but, no. Here's another hint. It doesn't have to do with THEM, it has to do with YOU (or rather this community as a whole). It's the same reason many people are so rabidly anti-gun even though it isn't the guns themselves that they object to.

N00blet45

imported post

Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist? Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

It does have to do with them. I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one. I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds. You know of one?

They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners. I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense. The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist? Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

It does have to do with them. I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one. I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds. You know of one?

They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners. I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense. The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?

You're still not quite there. I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole. What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minorityfolks?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
HankT wrote:
Before "we" start patting ourselves on the back for having a national BMWAAR over in Arizona, we might do well to consider why it is that "we" have so few minorities involved (as a representative percentage) in the pro-gun/rights movement. Or the open carry movement, for that matter.

I love diversity... as long as everyonethinks just like me.
For some reason the way you think reminds me of Pinky and the Brain.

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:

You're still not quite there. I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole. What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minorityfolks?
Or, instead of playing 20 q, you could simply state your view. That would go a long way towards keeping your first question, and your main point on the same page.

Prophet

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
Because I'm white and therefore I must be racist?  Now I'm white with a gun so I'm a racist with power.

It does have to do with them.  I, and I'm sure most other members here, do not keep them from owning a firearm, they keep themselves from owning one.  I'd be willing to donate to a charity that provides firearms to good people of all colors and creeds.  You know of one?

They don't have to be part of this community to be part of the firearm community or to be firearm owners.  I'm not speaking in an exclusive sense but in a matter of fact sense.  The blacks have the NAACP, why can't they have a NAAAP (National Association of Armed African People) or maybe the BNRA (Black National Rifle Association)?

You're still not quite there.  I'll give you another hint: think of this community as a whole.  What about this community might be a turn off(s) for democratic leaning black/other minority folks?

Too many trolls from Connecticut? I'm sure that keeps some people away.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:

I'd wait a little bit before we start concluding that one black fellow with an AR and a sidearm walking around some presidential town hall event in sunny Arizona has helped the pro-gun rights case. Don't forget what happened to OUR very own BMWAG.....
I disagree. This case has gotten more (good) national exposure than just about any other case like this recently. It also was impossible for the media to portray it as a racist event, even though at least one outlet DID make an attempt to mask the race of the person to allow "scare" tactics in their reporting.

The bottom line of the AZ event was that:
1) a citizen carried an "assault weapon" near a political rally, accompanied by other armed citizens, and no one got shot, threatened, or arrested because of it.
2) the citizen was NOT the media choice of a white racist.