Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Encinitas Open Carry Event makes San Jose examiner.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    A few mistakes by the reporter.

    This event appears to be organized byJeff Schwilk founder of the San Diego Minutemen.

    http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-...t-in-Encinitas

    The quiet streets of this San Diego seaside community were awakened to the Second Amendment rights as 12 Californians walked the sidewalks with their firearms. Six of the 12 open carriers were women and six additional non-carriers handed out informational fliers to anyone who was interested.

    Most of residents were curious about what was going on, some thought the open carriers were a part of law enforcement and a few were offended, but the morning event ended with educating the public about their right to carry a gun in the state of California.

    Of course there are a few rules to be followed when taking your gun outside your home. First you need to be a registered gun owner, the weapon must be in a holster in plain sight and it cannot be loaded. Ammunition is normally carried, but separate from the gun.

    Once the group met, they notified the local law enforcement, as a courtesy, that they would be walking the downtown district of Encinitas.

    “It’s awesome, we as Americans have the right to carry our guns and it can’t be taken away from us,” said Rochelle Howes, fellow open carrier participant. “This is my second open carry and it amazes me that some law enforcement officers don’t know we have this right.”

    Fellow gun advocate, Mari Hayden, says this is her first open carry event. “This is great. I just talked to an off-duty officer who said they were creeped out by this right, but I told her I was creeped out that she was a cop.”

    Another fellow carrier was Rosa Garcia, a Mexican immigrant who came here legally with a sponsor; “I do this to share quality time with my sons.” The Garcia’s belong to the San Diego Minutemen group and since they’ve lost their business due to illegal immigration, they depend on the kindness of the Minutemen for help to get by in the tough recession.

    When it comes to the importance of being able to carry their firearms, many open carriers had different reasons for the educational walk through Encinitas.

    “I will save a liberals' life even if they won’t save mine,” says Pendry Boteler. “I don’t mind though because I’ve been around guns my whole life.”

    The goal of this group is to exercise this right in every North San Diego County city in order to educate as many Americans as possible, says Jeff Schwilk founder of the San Diego Minutemen.

    Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”


    However across the plaza the group ran into current City Council member and former Encinitas Mayor Dan Dalager. “I’m not used to seeing people walk down the street openly carrying guns. I’m not endorsing it, but I’m not freaked out by it either.”

    He continued to say that growing up he used guns and referred to them as tools that they used on the property to get the fox out of the chicken coop.

    Finally one of the carriers drove down from Orange County to learn about the organization in hopes of bringing a chapter to the Orange County area in a few months.

    Vincent Burke is a lifetime National Rifle Association member and assists the U.S. Border Patrol on the U.S./Mexico border in counter-narco terrorism activity. “It’s tough work, but someone’s got to do it.”

    Once the streets were safe and the group hungry, they all ended their day at Giovanni’s Italian restaurant on Hwy 101 for lunch, guns and all.


  2. #2
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    Good news.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    Fellow gun advocate, Mari Hayden, says this is her first open carry event. “This is great. I just talked to an off-duty officer who said they were creeped out by this right, but I told her I was creeped out that she was a cop.”
    This is the coolest thing I've read for a while. It's great to see responsible citizens out there exercising their rights, and talking back to cops who don't acknowledge the second amendment no less! It's great to see open carry beginning to grow more and more outside of just this forum.

    A big nod of the head to pullnshoot25, who has obviously indirectly influenced many people.

  5. #5
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    It looks like Schwilk took a page of our proposedplaybook and stacked his event with women.

    Asside from the factual error regarding an imagined requirement to be a 'registered' gun owner and the 'creep out' comment by one of the participants, it appears to be a positive article about exposed carry.

    Again, the horse has gotten out of the barn... and despite all the warnings from CGN there is no putting things back to the way things were prior to 2006.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  6. #6
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    It looks like Schwilk took a page of our proposedplaybook and stacked his event with women.

    Asside from the factual error regarding an imagined requirement to be a 'registered' gun owner and the 'creep out' comment by one of the participants, it appears to be a positive article about exposed carry.

    Again, the horse has gotten out of the barn... and despite all the warnings from CGN there is no putting things back to the way things were prior to 2006.
    Another analogy: You can't unring a bell!

    DING DING DING DING :celebrate



  7. #7
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    Another analogy: You can't unring a bell!

    DING DING DING DING :celebrate

    Nice. And +1.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  8. #8
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Sounds like an overall positive event. I wish I'd known about it, I love Italian food.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sante, California, USA
    Posts
    35

    Post imported post

    First off Good Job Gang!

    From the Article: "Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”"

    Can somebody tell me what makes a "Christian Nation" Not want guns? Let me guess somebody thinks we should all be "conscience objectors"

    Not in the New Testament I read.

    Good job again folks. Did you talk to Giovani's ahead of time or did you just show up?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    USPSureShot wrote:
    From the Article: "Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”"

    Can somebody tell me what makes a "Christian Nation" Not want guns?*
    The only perverted explanation I can come up with is maybe they think we should all let ourselves be slaughtered by the government, just like Jesus H. Christ.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, California, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Jeff is tireless at promting UOC in SD and he has encouraged me and some others up here in the OC to join in with them at upcoming events. I happen to have another "mission in life" similar to what Jeff and his group of patriots at the SDMM are involved with and we OC on BLM land. It's great being able to UOC and I'm sure that by doing so will deter notions of someone trying to mistake me for an easy mark.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Well, I've been lurking around this site for a few months now, but I think this warrants a comment on my part.



    First, I must say that I am ambivalent to the minutemen organization. I am all for some of the things that the minutemen are engaged in (open carry, border protection, etc.). I also disapprove of others (attempting to run Mexican consulates out of churches, schools,inflammatory rethoric, etc). However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?



    OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    Nopal wrote:
    What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?
    Absolutely. The coyotes and drug smugglers are getting more desperate and violent, if you believe the COPS-esque documentary show Homeland Security USA. During the day an OCing Minuteman may deter violent invaders who use spotters with bincoulars and cellphones, at night, a quick draw in case of surprise attack is imperative.

  15. #15
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    Nopal wrote:
    However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?

    OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?
    +1 to that.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    N6ATF wrote:
    Nopal wrote:
    What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?
    Absolutely. The coyotes and drug smugglers are getting more desperate and violent, if you believe the COPS-esque documentary show Homeland Security USA. During the day an OCing Minuteman may deter violent invaders who use spotters with bincoulars and cellphones, at night, a quick draw in case of surprise attack is imperative.
    Yes, draw in case of attack is imperative which is why Customs and Border Patrol are armed. However, that is not the implication of the picture. The picture clearly shows a civilian protester's sign.

    Like I said, I am all for border enforcement. Now, some of thefolks that violate our borders are very dangerous people (drug smugglers, etc), and theydodeserve the appropiate armed response. Others aren't dangerous per se (folks looking for work, etc),and I've read that the minutemen have done very decent things for some of them (provided water, food, etc, to illegals that may have otherwise gotten lost crossing the desert, etc.). However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    dirtykoala wrote:
    welcome to the forums!
    Thanks!!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    Nopal wrote:
    However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.
    That implication is not at all clear, especially with the quote below. The proper response would be to ask the photo-taker what he is implying; you are not a psychic or telepath.

    Berzerker wrote:
    It's great being able to UOC and I'm sure that by doing so will deter notions of someone trying to mistake me for an easy mark.
    An easy mark is defined as: a defenseless victim, sitting duck.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    N6ATF wrote:
    Nopal wrote:
    However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.
    That implication is not at all clear, especially with the quote below. The proper response would be to ask the photo-taker what he is implying; you are not a psychic or telepath.

    No I am not. I am an average Joe that is reacting to a picture, and an article that linksa controversial group, to OC. Like me, many are likely to have the same impression. I am concerned mostly about those that aren't that familiar with firearms and their legitimate uses, but that are otherwise reasonable people. Their support will only be won with clear, convincing, and unambiguous messages and anything that can be easily interpreted against OC, will.

    Pictures that require explanations aren't usually the kind you want to rely on to geta goodmessage accross, anyway.


  20. #20
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    I know this is a toxic issue,but I would like to mention something. Yes, I agree that illegal immigration should be stopped, especially when one considers the costs to our system in absorbing all those people into our society. However, remember they are people too and the Mexican government is so incredibly corrupt a very good argument could be madethat these poor people are practically refugees. And if you believe that our founders framed the Bill of Rights correctly, then you have to agree that every person, not just American citizens, have the exact same inalienable rights. We are just fortunate enough to have been born in this country and have a government system that (is supposed to) protects those rights. They weren't. So IMHO, this photo doesn't add anything positive to the OC movement, or respect those people's humanity, most of whom want the same as you...a better life. Could they effect change in their own country to make it better?Well they have tried many times, butassassinations are very real over there and not just for the person effecting change, but his/her entire family. There aren't any easy solutions, but lets at least be civil.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, California, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Nopal wrote:
    Well, I've been lurking around this site for a few months now, but I think this warrants a comment on my part.



    First, I must say that I am ambivalent to the minutemen organization. I am all for some of the things that the minutemen are engaged in (open carry, border protection, etc.). I also disapprove of others (attempting to run Mexican consulates out of churches, schools,inflammatory rethoric, etc). However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?



    OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?
    Ok point well taken... I respect your views and don't wish to offend anyone here



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Berzerker wrote:
    Nopal wrote:
    Well, I've been lurking around this site for a few months now, but I think this warrants a comment on my part.



    First, I must say that I am ambivalent to the minutemen organization. I am all for some of the things that the minutemen are engaged in (open carry, border protection, etc.). I also disapprove of others (attempting to run Mexican consulates out of churches, schools,inflammatory rethoric, etc). However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?



    OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?
    Ok point well taken... I respect your views and don't wish to offend anyone here

    I wasn't offended, just a bit concerned.



    Thank you, sir.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, California, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Ok now that I've taken down that picture let me point out something to you Nopal. here is part of your statement I take issue with and thenI will drop the subject and confine future postings to UOC topics.

    "Others aren't dangerous per se (folks looking for work, etc),and I've read that the minutemen have done very decent things for some of them (provided water, food, etc, to illegals that may have otherwise gotten lost crossing the desert, etc.). However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause."

    This whole subject has always had that little apologetic phrase "they only come here for a better life". Well thecoyotes that collect between $2000-$5000 from those poor folks arethe same ones that run the drug shipments. One helps contribute to the other. Those same people are the ones that murdered Agent Robert Rosas. Where's his better life? When you pay your increased taxes here in California because of the extra burden money spent on people that cheated the system to come here illegally or mourn the loss of a teenage son like Jameil Shaw by a recently released illegal alien gang member who had been released by LAPD because of Special order 40, tell me again not to lump everyone in together.

    Sorry to vent but I had contact numerous times with "Junior" Rosas down there and I'm still a little touchy about his murder by the cartel. Four rounds to the face and the rest to the chest is a bad thing to happen ,Verdad?


    This will be my last posting about this subject. Nopal I respect your views and everyone else's opinion here.I don't wish to offend but there is still a little thing called the 1st Amendment that is every bit as important as the 2ndbut without the2nd we might notbe able to hold on to the rest.




  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, California, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Guys it's funny that when I posted that pic it was the only one I had of my XD with the light attached. I didn't even think about the sign underneath it!

    I hope the picture of the cross placed there by the BP at the spot he was executed doesn't offend anyone either. I just wanted to share. Any other questions about this feel free to PM me. Thanks!

    Back to guns !

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    What I find offensive is that traitors in our government, for decades, have refused to do anything more than pay lip service to lives lost due to the Mexican invasion of the U.S. (Mexican-government directed, via official publication).

    They encourage it by giving government benefits to non-citizens, cyclical amnesty, practical immunity from prosecution, everything you can imagine... They appear to be agents of the Mexican government, above their oaths to "defend... against all enemies, foreign or domestic".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •