• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encinitas Open Carry Event makes San Jose examiner.

Decoligny

imported post

A few mistakes by the reporter.

This event appears to be organized byJeff Schwilk founder of the San Diego Minutemen.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-...t-in-Encinitas

The quiet streets of this San Diego seaside community were awakened to the Second Amendment rights as 12 Californians walked the sidewalks with their firearms. Six of the 12 open carriers were women and six additional non-carriers handed out informational fliers to anyone who was interested.

Most of residents were curious about what was going on, some thought the open carriers were a part of law enforcement and a few were offended, but the morning event ended with educating the public about their right to carry a gun in the state of California.

Of course there are a few rules to be followed when taking your gun outside your home. First you need to be a registered gun owner, the weapon must be in a holster in plain sight and it cannot be loaded. Ammunition is normally carried, but separate from the gun.

Once the group met, they notified the local law enforcement, as a courtesy, that they would be walking the downtown district of Encinitas.

“It’s awesome, we as Americans have the right to carry our guns and it can’t be taken away from us,” said Rochelle Howes, fellow open carrier participant. “This is my second open carry and it amazes me that some law enforcement officers don’t know we have this right.”

Fellow gun advocate, Mari Hayden, says this is her first open carry event. “This is great. I just talked to an off-duty officer who said they were creeped out by this right, but I told her I was creeped out that she was a cop.”

Another fellow carrier was Rosa Garcia, a Mexican immigrant who came here legally with a sponsor; “I do this to share quality time with my sons.” The Garcia’s belong to the San Diego Minutemen group and since they’ve lost their business due to illegal immigration, they depend on the kindness of the Minutemen for help to get by in the tough recession.

When it comes to the importance of being able to carry their firearms, many open carriers had different reasons for the educational walk through Encinitas.

“I will save a liberals' life even if they won’t save mine,” says Pendry Boteler. “I don’t mind though because I’ve been around guns my whole life.”

The goal of this group is to exercise this right in every North San Diego County city in order to educate as many Americans as possible, says Jeff Schwilk founder of the San Diego Minutemen.

Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”

However across the plaza the group ran into current City Council member and former Encinitas Mayor Dan Dalager. “I’m not used to seeing people walk down the street openly carrying guns. I’m not endorsing it, but I’m not freaked out by it either.”

He continued to say that growing up he used guns and referred to them as tools that they used on the property to get the fox out of the chicken coop.

Finally one of the carriers drove down from Orange County to learn about the organization in hopes of bringing a chapter to the Orange County area in a few months.

Vincent Burke is a lifetime National Rifle Association member and assists the U.S. Border Patrol on the U.S./Mexico border in counter-narco terrorism activity. “It’s tough work, but someone’s got to do it.”

Once the streets were safe and the group hungry, they all ended their day at Giovanni’s Italian restaurant on Hwy 101 for lunch, guns and all.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Fellow gun advocate, Mari Hayden, says this is her first open carry event. “This is great. I just talked to an off-duty officer who said they were creeped out by this right, but I told her I was creeped out that she was a cop.”

This is the coolest thing I've read for a while. It's great to see responsible citizens out there exercising their rights, and talking back to cops who don't acknowledge the second amendment no less! It's great to see open carry beginning to grow more and more outside of just this forum.

A big nod of the head to pullnshoot25, who has obviously indirectly influenced many people.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

It looks like Schwilk took a page of our proposedplaybook and stacked his event with women.

Asside from the factual error regarding an imagined requirement to be a 'registered' gun owner and the 'creep out' comment by one of the participants, it appears to be a positive article about exposed carry.

Again, the horse has gotten out of the barn... and despite all the warnings from CGN there is no putting things back to the way things were prior to 2006.

Decoligny

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
It looks like Schwilk took a page of our proposedplaybook and stacked his event with women.

Asside from the factual error regarding an imagined requirement to be a 'registered' gun owner and the 'creep out' comment by one of the participants, it appears to be a positive article about exposed carry.

Again, the horse has gotten out of the barn... and despite all the warnings from CGN there is no putting things back to the way things were prior to 2006.
Another analogy: You can't unring a bell!

DING DING DING DING :celebrate

liberty_bell_1.jpg

USPSureShot

imported post

First off Good Job Gang!

From the Article: "Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”"

Can somebody tell me what makes a "Christian Nation" Not want guns? Let me guess somebody thinks we should all be "conscience objectors"

Not in the New Testament I read.

Good job again folks. Did you talk to Giovani's ahead of time or did you just show up?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

USPSureShot wrote:
From the Article: "Not everyone was convinced this was a good idea. A few residents left their table outside a café and said, “You people are nuts and paranoid. You shouldn’t want guns in your Christian nation.”"

Can somebody tell me what makes a "Christian Nation" Not want guns? 

The only perverted explanation I can come up with is maybe they think we should all let ourselves be slaughtered by the government, just like Jesus H. Christ.

Berzerker

imported post

Jeff is tireless at promting UOC in SD and he has encouraged me and some others up here in the OC to join in with them at upcoming events. I happen to have another "mission in life" similar to what Jeff and his group of patriots at the SDMM are involved with and we OC on BLM land. It's great being able to UOC and I'm sure that by doing so will deter notions of someone trying to mistake me for an easy mark.

Nopal

imported post

Well, I've been lurking around this site for a few months now, but I think this warrants a comment on my part.

First, I must say that I am ambivalent to the minutemen organization. I am all for some of the things that the minutemen are engaged in (open carry, border protection, etc.). I also disapprove of others (attempting to run Mexican consulates out of churches, schools,inflammatory rethoric, etc). However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?

OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Nopal wrote:
What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?

Absolutely. The coyotes and drug smugglers are getting more desperate and violent, if you believe the COPS-esque documentary show Homeland Security USA. During the day an OCing Minuteman may deter violent invaders who use spotters with bincoulars and cellphones, at night, a quick draw in case of surprise attack is imperative.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Nopal wrote:
However, pictures such as the one above that gather the kind of negative attention theOC movementcan do without. What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?

OC is already fringe, it doesn't need any more help in being portrayed that way. Aren't our efforts supposed to be aimed at doing the opposite?
+1 to that.

Nopal

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Nopal wrote:
What's the implication, that illegal immigration should be stopped by the use of a gun?

Absolutely. The coyotes and drug smugglers are getting more desperate and violent, if you believe the COPS-esque documentary show Homeland Security USA. During the day an OCing Minuteman may deter violent invaders who use spotters with bincoulars and cellphones, at night, a quick draw in case of surprise attack is imperative.
Yes, draw in case of attack is imperative which is why Customs and Border Patrol are armed. However, that is not the implication of the picture. The picture clearly shows a civilian protester's sign.

Like I said, I am all for border enforcement. Now, some of thefolks that violate our borders are very dangerous people (drug smugglers, etc), and theydodeserve the appropiate armed response. Others aren't dangerous per se (folks looking for work, etc),and I've read that the minutemen have done very decent things for some of them (provided water, food, etc, to illegals that may have otherwise gotten lost crossing the desert, etc.). However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Nopal wrote:
However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.

That implication is not at all clear, especially with the quote below. The proper response would be to ask the photo-taker what he is implying; you are not a psychic or telepath.

Berzerker wrote:
It's great being able to UOC and I'm sure that by doing so will deter notions of someone trying to mistake me for an easy mark.

An easy mark is defined as: a defenseless victim, sitting duck.

Nopal

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Nopal wrote:
However, lumping all of those people together into a three-word phrase, and implying that the solution is the use of deadly force doesn't help anybody, not the OC movement, and certainly no the minutemen's own cause.

That implication is not at all clear, especially with the quote below. The proper response would be to ask the photo-taker what he is implying; you are not a psychic or telepath.

No I am not. I am an average Joe that is reacting to a picture, and an article that linksa controversial group, to OC. Like me, many are likely to have the same impression. I am concerned mostly about those that aren't that familiar with firearms and their legitimate uses, but that are otherwise reasonable people. Their support will only be won with clear, convincing, and unambiguous messages and anything that can be easily interpreted against OC, will.

Pictures that require explanations aren't usually the kind you want to rely on to geta goodmessage accross, anyway.

coolusername2007

imported post

I know this is a toxic issue,but I would like to mention something. Yes, I agree that illegal immigration should be stopped, especially when one considers the costs to our system in absorbing all those people into our society. However, remember they are people too and the Mexican government is so incredibly corrupt a very good argument could be madethat these poor people are practically refugees. And if you believe that our founders framed the Bill of Rights correctly, then you have to agree that every person, not just American citizens, have the exact same inalienable rights. We are just fortunate enough to have been born in this country and have a government system that (is supposed to) protects those rights. They weren't. So IMHO, this photo doesn't add anything positive to the OC movement, or respect those people's humanity, most of whom want the same as you...a better life. Could they effect change in their own country to make it better?Well they have tried many times, butassassinations are very real over there and not just for the person effecting change, but his/her entire family. There aren't any easy solutions, but lets at least be civil.