Thread: OT: shooting firearms baned in Oakland County south of Seymour Lake Rd??

Post imported post

Alright, this may sound a little strange..

My mom called me and told me that word going around is you cannot discharge a firearm in Oakland County anywhere south of Seymour Lake Rd.

My parents live on wooded acreage in Oakland County (south of Seymour Lake Rd) and we frequently shoot skeet and targets there.

If anyone here is savvy with our local govenment sites, could someone please look this up and see if there's any validity to it?

Also- Does the State of Michigan, or Counties make up firearm laws (pretaining to discharging of firearms)?
    Because if the State made the law, wouldn't that preempt any local law (just like with our OCing)?

Thanks everyone!!

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The DNR has imposed a no hunting/firearm discharge law within a certain boundaries.
    I live right smack in the middle of one. My house backs up to woods but I am not able to hunt them. Which is horrible because I have all kinds of deer and turkey in my backyard.

Here is the main link and the portion that applies to the area I believe you are referring to.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8890--,00.html

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, PORTION - R317.163.26 - Hunting prohibited.
    26. Hunting with, or the discharge of, a firearm is unlawful within the following-described area of Oxford township, Oakland county:
    Beginning at the intersection of Seymour Lake road and Sanders road; thence south on Sanders road to Drahner road; thence east on Drahner road to Barr road; thence north on Barr road to Lakeville road; thence west on Lakeville road to Oxford road; thence south on Oxford road to Burdick street; thence west on Burdick street to Seymour Lake road to point of beginning.

Post imported post

kidaquarius wrote:

My mom called me and told me that word going around is you cannot discharge a firearm in Oakland County anywhere south of Seymour Lake Rd.

My parents live on wooded acreage in Oakland County (south of Seymour Lake Rd) and we frequently shoot skeet and targets there.

If anyone here is savvy with our local govenment sites, could someone please look this up and see if there's any validity to it?

Also- Does the State of Michigan, or Counties make up firearm laws (pretaining to discharging of firearms)?
    Because if the State made the law, wouldn't that preempt any local law (just like with our OCing)?

Thanks everyone!!

I would think any of your rights on your private property would (or at least should) preempt anything else that might be on the books.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

kidaquarius wrote:

Thanks everyone!!
    Looks like a city or Charter township can prohibit discharge. Not sure about counties or other municipalities not mentioned in the act. The below is taken from the 1990 preemption law.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
    Act 319 of 1990
    123.1104 Prohibiting discharge of pistol or other firearm.

Sec. 4.

This act does not prohibit a city or a charter township from prohibiting the discharge of a pistol or other firearm within the jurisdiction of that city or charter township.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Thanks for the super quick replies..

I went to the link you provided Generaldet and I did not see anything that specifically applied to my parent's house- or that area in general.

I would've been really bummed!!

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Good, I'm glad that it wasn't on that list. Wish I could say the same.

Post imported post

Yeah man, that's a drag!

Thanks for the info though, I really appreciate it.