• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: shooting firearms baned in Oakland County south of Seymour Lake Rd??

kidaquarius

imported post

Alright, this may sound a little strange..

My mom called me and told me that word going around is you cannot discharge a firearm in Oakland County anywhere south of Seymour Lake Rd.

My parents live on wooded acreage in Oakland County (south of Seymour Lake Rd) and we frequently shoot skeet and targets there.

If anyone here is savvy with our local govenment sites, could someone please look this up and see if there's any validity to it?

Also- Does the State of Michigan, or Counties make up firearm laws (pretaining to discharging of firearms)?
Because if the State made the law, wouldn't that preempt any local law (just like with our OCing)?

Thanks everyone!!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

The DNR has imposed a no hunting/firearm discharge law within a certain boundaries.
I live right smack in the middle of one. My house backs up to woods but I am not able to hunt them. Which is horrible because I have all kinds of deer and turkey in my backyard.

Here is the main link and the portion that applies to the area I believe you are referring to.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37701-38890--,00.html

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]OXFORD TOWNSHIP, PORTION - R317.163.26 - Hunting prohibited. [/font][/size] [align=justify] [size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]26. Hunting with, or the discharge of, a firearm is unlawful within the following-described area of Oxford township, Oakland county: [/font][/size][/align] [align=justify] [size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Beginning at the intersection of Seymour Lake road and Sanders road; thence south on Sanders road to Drahner road; thence east on Drahner road to Barr road; thence north on Barr road to Lakeville road; thence west on Lakeville road to Oxford road; thence south on Oxford road to Burdick street; thence west on Burdick street to Seymour Lake road to point of beginning. [/font][/size][/align]

sevenplusone

imported post

kidaquarius wrote:

My mom called me and told me that word going around is you cannot discharge a firearm in Oakland County anywhere south of Seymour Lake Rd.

My parents live on wooded acreage in Oakland County (south of Seymour Lake Rd) and we frequently shoot skeet and targets there.

If anyone here is savvy with our local govenment sites, could someone please look this up and see if there's any validity to it?

Also- Does the State of Michigan, or Counties make up firearm laws (pretaining to discharging of firearms)?
Because if the State made the law, wouldn't that preempt any local law (just like with our OCing)?

Thanks everyone!!

I would think any of your rights on your private property would (or at least should) preempt anything else that might be on the books.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

kidaquarius wrote:

Thanks everyone!!
Looks like a city or Charter township can prohibit discharge. Not sure about counties or other municipalities not mentioned in the act. The below is taken from the 1990 preemption law.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990
123.1104 Prohibiting discharge of pistol or other firearm.

Sec. 4.

This act does not prohibit a city or a charter township from prohibiting the discharge of a pistol or other firearm within the jurisdiction of that city or charter township.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

kidaquarius

imported post

Thanks for the super quick replies..

I went to the link you provided Generaldet and I did not see anything that specifically applied to my parent's house- or that area in general.

I would've been really bummed!!