• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC'er

Rbwhanson

imported post

New member and this is my first post on the site and I have a question.

If there is already a thread discussing this please feel free to link it as I didn't see it.

I am prior military and I know my way around a gun but:

As a soon to be first time open carry citizen what are some key things I need to know? I know the law in my state (Wisconsin) and I know I cannot carry in federal buildings and school zones. But what are some other general tips and important need to knows in regards to OC?

Thanks.

Ryan

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ryan,
Welcome to OCDO and OC! For WI specific questions, the best place to look for answers might be the WI section of the forum. Also, you might look our current 'Hot Topics' about Mr. Travis and the Madison, WI Police Dept...

Rbwhanson

imported post

Thank you for the responses, going to copy this over to the Wisconsin section. My service was my pleasure. Thank you for saying thank you. You'd be surprised how little vets hear that.

chiefjason

imported post

Then thanks again! Look into retention holsters and good belts. Try to have a couple of quick answers to folks who may ask questions. Know why you can, legally, and why you do, personally. Don't act like everyone is watching you, most folks won't notice anyway. But do keep your SA up. I do try to keep my arm contacting my handgun and try to use my body or other items to shield the gun from folks if it's crowded. After you carry a while you start to do these things and actually relax too. Enjoy your freedom, you worked for it.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Thank you for your service as well. I grew up in Wisconsin, and while it is a bit behind progressive states like Arizona and Alaska, it is making a bit of progress for individual freedom.