Thread: Where cant I OC in Wisconsin?

Post imported post

Aside from school zones and federal buildings where can I not OC in Wisconsin?
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Your vehicle and any place that serves alcohol for consumption (yes, this does include restaurants).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

Whoops, forgot state parks and depending on where you live, county/city parks.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Rbwhanson wrote:
    Aside from school zones and federal buildings where can I not OC in Wisconsin?
    For the most part, there are five places where we cannot open carry.

(Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, 1000ft of school property).

Having said that, there is debate of county/city parks.

One more, Any business that specifically has a sign stating "no firearms" should be honored.

Otherwise, Carry On.

Post imported post

Thank you all for the information. First test, Walmart...and according to this site that has mixed reviews.

Post imported post

If there is already a thread discussing this please feel free to link it as I didn't see it.

I am prior military and I know my way around a gun but:

What are some key things I need to know? I know the law in my state (Wisconsin) and I know I cannot carry in federal buildings and school zones. But what are some other general tips and important need to knows in regards to OC? For example according to another post it is against the law to ready your firearm in or on your car when prepping to OC in a parking lot.

Thanks.

Ryan

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Centurion

Post imported post

I cannot carry in federal buildings and school zones
    You cannot carry in government buildings (includes state, county and local government buildings, not just fed)

You can carry in a school zone so long as you are on private property within a school zone. Do not carry on public property within a school zone. I carry within a school zone every single week. But its private property.
    But what are some other general tips and important need to knows in regards to OC?
    99.99% of OC experiences are uneventful. In Wisconsin that includes THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of open carry situations. Some people choose to take extra precautions for the unlikely (but documented) situations when they have been improperly treated by using a voice recorder. I personally do not use one.

Other important general tips:

do not speak to police.

and also DO NOT SPEAK TO POLICE!

Lastly, did I mention DON'T SPEAK TO THE POLICE!

Do not open carry until you have watched these videos. Its clear the police are rarely out to help law-abiding citizens and be mindful of law-abiding citizens who are doing everything within their power to navigate wisconsins f'ed up contradictory gun laws which our own supreme court has said are messed up and not always enforceable.

Instead, its clear that most of the time, police will try to catch you on any techincality and are more concerned in their green-newbie-ignorance of THE LAW with nailing people rather than using discretion to assess a criminal from a law-abiding citizen who's just trying to go about their business exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights.

I strongly encourage you to watch these video's. Best hour of your life you'll ever invest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Post imported post

Outstanding video's. Really made me stop & think. Thanks.

Post imported post

Another place that I have not seen mentioned is the hospital/clinics/nursing homes.

Banned

Post imported post

They are not prohibited that I know by Wisconsin Statute. They can trespass you.

Other jurisdictions (SC) explicitly prohibit carry in "medical facilities" but don't define them. So the ARC blood letting shop and Dr. Wu's herbal palace claim that they're medical facilities. I stopped participating in ARC's apheresis program.

Post imported post

Doug: Thanks for the clarification.Let's not forget federal facilities like VA Hospitals/clinics. BTW,ARC?

Banned

Post imported post

American Red Cross

I have a real hard spot for them.

Post imported post

Ditto on the ARC. Mine goes back to something that happened to my grandmother & the local ARC during WW2. :?

Centurion

Post imported post

Where cant I OC in Wisconsin?
    The Shooters Shop, Value Village, and Marcus Theatres

Banned

Post imported post

oops!

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Where cant I OC in Wisconsin?
    The Shooters Shop, Value Village, and Marcus Theatres

Add Brookfield Square and probably any mall to be honest.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002