• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where cant I OC in Wisconsin?

protias

imported post

Your vehicle and any place that serves alcohol for consumption (yes, this does include restaurants).

protias

imported post

Whoops, forgot state parks and depending on where you live, county/city parks.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rbwhanson wrote:
Aside from school zones and federal buildings where can I not OC in Wisconsin?

For the most part, there are five places where we cannot open carry.

(Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, 1000ft of school property).

Having said that, there is debate of county/city parks.

One more, Any business that specifically has a sign stating "no firearms" should be honored.

Otherwise, Carry On.

Rbwhanson

imported post

Thank you all for the information. First test, Walmart...and according to this site that has mixed reviews.

Rbwhanson

imported post

If there is already a thread discussing this please feel free to link it as I didn't see it.

I am prior military and I know my way around a gun but:

What are some key things I need to know? I know the law in my state (Wisconsin) and I know I cannot carry in federal buildings and school zones. But what are some other general tips and important need to knows in regards to OC? For example according to another post it is against the law to ready your firearm in or on your car when prepping to OC in a parking lot.

Thanks.

Ryan

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I cannot carry in federal buildings and school zones
You cannot carry in government buildings (includes state, county and local government buildings, not just fed)

You can carry in a school zone so long as you are on private property within a school zone. Do not carry on public property within a school zone. I carry within a school zone every single week. But its private property.
But what are some other general tips and important need to knows in regards to OC?
99.99% of OC experiences are uneventful. In Wisconsin that includes THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of open carry situations. Some people choose to take extra precautions for the unlikely (but documented) situations when they have been improperly treated by using a voice recorder. I personally do not use one.

Other important general tips:

do not speak to police.

and also DO NOT SPEAK TO POLICE!

Lastly, did I mention DON'T SPEAK TO THE POLICE!

Do not open carry until you have watched these videos. Its clear the police are rarely out to help law-abiding citizens and be mindful of law-abiding citizens who are doing everything within their power to navigate wisconsins f'ed up contradictory gun laws which our own supreme court has said are messed up and not always enforceable.

Instead, its clear that most of the time, police will try to catch you on any techincality and are more concerned in their green-newbie-ignorance of THE LAW with nailing people rather than using discretion to assess a criminal from a law-abiding citizen who's just trying to go about their business exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights.

I strongly encourage you to watch these video's. Best hour of your life you'll ever invest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

VMAX

imported post

Another place that I have not seen mentioned is the hospital/clinics/nursing homes.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

They are not prohibited that I know by Wisconsin Statute. They can trespass you.

Other jurisdictions (SC) explicitly prohibit carry in "medical facilities" but don't define them. So the ARC blood letting shop and Dr. Wu's herbal palace claim that they're medical facilities. I stopped participating in ARC's apheresis program.

VMAX

imported post

Doug: Thanks for the clarification.Let's not forget federal facilities like VA Hospitals/clinics. BTW,ARC?

VMAX

imported post

Ditto on the ARC. Mine goes back to something that happened to my grandmother & the local ARC during WW2. :?