• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a little run in at Rep. Boucher's Town Hall Meeting

Neplusultra

imported post

A little long but a fun story for me at least, first time I've had something like this happen to me while OCing.

I attended Rick Boucher's Townhall meeting in Dublin, VA (New River Community College) this morning on the health care issue. Got there about a half hour early, lucky I did, it was packed. I saw an old friend of mine but I was looking for Ken Stanton who is president of the SCCC for VA Tech. I walked all over looking for him, OCing of course. Couldn't find him so I sat with my friend.

A pro everything socialized medicine lady was sitting to my left towards the aisle along the wall, my weak side. We had a pretty nice conversation, a little strident, a little moonbatty, but she had a few good points I had not considered prior. She knew I held different views so I thought it was a great example of civility :^). I didn't get her name though, more on this later.

There was one particularly obnoxious disruptor that stood in the aisle along the wall near where we were seated. Finally my friend said he had to say something to this guy, I said I'd go with him. Not sure if it was the gun or just two people getting in his face but he quieted down significantly :^). There were plenty of "comments" made sporadically by everyone else none the less. Fairly raucous but over all a rather civil meeting considering.

When we stood up to exit the row of seats to confront the disruptor my strong side was away from the lady. When we came back my .45 was probably 12 inches from her face at eye level :^). She left immediately thereafter, which is why I didn't get her name.

I of course have a great idea that would solve the entire health care issue without any government program and was hoping to get called on to speak :^). I figured the best place to be was standing in the aisle so I moved there. Within ten minutes or so a Pulaski County Sheriffs detective approached me and using his best and rather convincing command voice *asked* me to step outside so we could talk..... Ok, voice recorder on.

Attached is what happened after we got into the hall just outside the auditorium. Now if you didn't know I'm under a felony indictment (Code of VA 18.2-85) and one of the few bail conditions that I am under is to "keep the peace" :^). So this little interaction could be significant in that I might be in jail until trial in the end of October... Doubt it, but you never know. So I was a little nervous.

The first minute or so is the detective (thick southern draw) using his best command voice telling me to take it (the gun) off the property and to follow him outside, with a very strong emotional (but non-verbal) aspect implying if I didn't follow him things were going to be going really bad for me. A complete bluff, but still fear instilling to resist. I mean, I could be wrong, right? But he really wasn't answering my question about "Administrative Rules" verses "Law" and such so every few steps I'd ask him again. Finally calling his bluff at 0:53. The detective discerning that *I'm* not bluffing then addresses the college administrator (CA) at 0:58 and you hear the CA join in the discussion (he's the one with the New York area accent asking "Why do you need it?"). The long pause takes place while the CA is standing there and the detective is on his cell phone talking to who knows who. I imagine it was his supervisor saying the gig was up and there was nothing more they could do to "trick" me into compliance without actually violating my rights.

Also by this time a guy from the 2ndtuesdayconstitutiongroup.com is there silently video taping along with the friend I had been sitting with. Everyone knew I was recording the interaction as I was holding my voice recorder up like you would a microphone. The guy video taping (Phil), whom I had not met before, asks if I'm being harassed at 1:52. The conversation then delves into issues of guns on campus and would a gun have prevented the Tech massacre, etc, etc. The whole confrontation then falls apart and everyone goes their separate way.

I said "Thank you Sir" to the detective and "Y'all have a good day" to the CA (should have said, "We do things different here in the South", but I didn't). I then went back into the auditorium and was not bothered the rest of the meeting. It was amazing and a little upseting to have such emotional pressure put on me when I think the detective knew all along there was nothing he could do. Perhaps he did need to phone in for instructions, but I can't believe this was not gone over earlier with all LEOs who were there today since weapons at townhall meetings has so much been in the news as of late.

I did stick around afterward, never having been called on to speak. I was the last person Mr. Boucher spoke with that day, we walked together to his car. I'm not sure if he was uneasy knowing I had a gun, he didn't seem like he was. He was sending signals that he wanted to leave but that could just be that he needed to leave. He gave me his card writing down a different address and said he'd read a short synopsis of my proposal if I sent it to that address. It's a good proposal, it'll fix almost everything :^)!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I attended Rick Boucher's Townhall meeting in Dublin, VA this morning ...

I think you did very well in this interaction. You calmly asserted your rights, successfully informed them of the law and maintained your composure. And you helped the LEOs and others maintain theirs.

Well done.

Virginian683

imported post

You might have freaked Boucher a little. :D He's only got a B- from GOA.

Sounds like you very positively represented gun owners.

I know you can't talk about it (and shouldn't) but I hope you are not guilty of the charge (and found to be such). It would suck for somebody like you to lose his civil rights.

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
having met you in person previously...I think you did a good job standing your ground and not caving to their extra-legal requests that have no backing.

TFred

imported post

I try not to overreact most of the time, but reading the story, and observing the time involved (I didn't listen to the tape...) it sort of sounds to me like this illegal harrassment unjustly prevented you from participating in the very meeting you were attending, and probably prevented you from getting the chance to ask your question.

It sounds like you were denied the ability to participate in the political process, which is why you went in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

TFred

ChinChin

imported post

Very well done. Kept your cool, never got curt while asserting your rights. . .heck you even had backup from the other gentleman who came up to ask "are you being harrased."

This incident (complete w/recording) should be a primer to all VA gun rights supports on how to interact with LEO's and to assert your rights politley and with civility.

Neplusultra

imported post

essayons wrote:
What college?
New River Valley Community College in Dublin, VA. I may very well go see Boucher again tomorrow night in Abingdon, but it's a two hour drive..... I want to put my idea before some people and see what they, not to mention he, thinks....

Neplusultra

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I loved this quote from the CA:

"I just wish you had some decency"

Classic.
Yeah, legal threats gone he was now resorting to guilt and shame. Didn't work :^). Part of that sentence was to have some decency and respect "our" rules. He failed to understand that it was public property and as a government agent he had no authority to deny me my VA State Constitutional rights. Not sure why he thought as he did, I would have liked to hear it but my friend was urging me back to hear Boucher and that was why I was there....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Classic.
Not sure why he thought as he did, I would have liked to hear it but my friend was urging me back to hear Boucher and that was why I was there....

Not much thinking goes into:"I just wish you had some decency"

It's just a basic straw man argument. People use it all the time. Antis useit a lot. Pros use the mechanism about as much. Straw man arguments are easy to spot--except by the utterer.

IanB

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Classic.
"I just wish you would do your job correctly and discontinue injecting your opinion into your profession."