• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Over Reaction at the Credit Union in Flint

packinheatmiinoh

imported post

On Monday August 17, 2009 I was running some errands on my Gold Wing While OC'ing, I had to make a stop at the local Credit Union to pick up some Cedar Point Tickets, I knew the CU had a no weapons policy, So when I arrived I unloaded, locked, cased, and locked the case in the luggage bag, I was however wearing my Retention holster, When I went to the cashier window I explained what I needed and she says politely " I have to go in the back to get them, I will be right back", I thought nothing of it, I had stood there about 5-6 minutes and just as I started to ask one of the other cashiers what happened to her? I heard a voice behind me tell me to remain still, no sudden movements, My assumption was correct there was a LEO behind me, I asked what the problem was and he explained, "you cant bring that in here" I asked kinda aggressively "bring what??????????" about that time the LEO must have realized the holster was empty. He asked where my gun was? I asked "what difference does that make?" "what cant I bring in here?" the officer asked if I had a gun? I explained not on me. The officer asked if I minded if he patted me down? I was getting upset, I explained if he plans on arresting me he can pat me down, otherwise he was going to have to explain what I did wrong, I would contact my attorney and then we could decide, he seemed very agitated, but he said I was free to go, I then explained I would leave as soon as I got my tickets, then the friendly cashier returned with my tickets and I left, the officer was gone when I exited, I think he was more irritated than I was. I am shopping for a new CU

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

packinheatmiinoh wrote:
...and he explained, "you cant bring that in here" I asked kinda aggressively "bring what??????????" about that time the LEO must have realized the holster was empty. He asked where my gun was? I asked "what difference does that make?" "what cant I bring in here?" the officer asked if I had a gun? I explained not on me. The officer asked if I minded if he patted me down? I was getting upset, I explained if he plans on arresting me he can pat me down, otherwise he was going to have to explain what I did wrong, I would contact my attorney and then we could decide, he seemed very agitated, but he said I was free to go, I then explained I would leave as soon as I got my tickets, then the friendly cashier returned with my tickets and I left, the officer was gone when I exited, I think he was more irritated than I was. I am shopping for a new CU

Did you tell the cop that you had your gun in your vehicle?

Why on earth would you shop for a new CU?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

packinheatmiinoh wrote:
No I did not tell him I had it in the vehicle, and I have had run ins at this CU before, for CC'ing against their policy
I think you handled it darn well. Darn well. Except perhaps for not noticing the LEO come in until he was right behind you.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I'd just close all of my accounts and tell the manager you will make sure to tell all of your friends that have accounts there what happened. Maybe they will care, maybe they won't. Hopefully they will care and try to keep you. I'd be pretty pissed if that was me. You did a great job at handling it though.

khicks

imported post

you did not post what cu this happen at. to the best of my knowledge, all cu's in flint are posted no carry. i work in flint and even mine is posted no carry(financial pluss)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well done!!!!

Was the officer's statement that you remain still andmake no sudden movements given in acommanding, imperative, or demanding tone of voice, even if not loud? I ask because I suspect you wereseized.

Ifyour state has a Freedom of Information law, I would try to get copiesof the bank's 911 call recording. I suspect the bank told 911 it wasan empty holster. I really can't see a single police officer coming for a robber or even a suspected robbery. Nor can I see a police officer confronting a suspected armed robber without having his gun drawn. In short, Isuspect healready knew youwere not arobber, which would makea seizure all that much more melodramatic, unnecessary, andpossibly illegal.

booyah

imported post

khicks wrote:
you did not post what cu this happen at. to the best of my knowledge, all cu's in flint are posted no carry. i work in flint and even mine is posted no carry(financial pluss)
Posted no carry or not, it doesnt matter. He had an EMPTY holster on. He WASNT carrying.

khicks

imported post

i under stand that the holster was empty. if he was going to look for a new cu, i just thought that he should be aware, that all of the cu in flint are criminal safe zones if it was me i would be talking to the branch manager about this as well as the board of directors if it would do any good.

thekunk47

imported post

To the best of my knowledge the no firearms signs are in violation of state law.Gun free zones do not apply to CPL holders carrying openly. The Credit union should be made aware of this.Education of the law is the whole reason we carry openly.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

thekunk47 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge the no firearms signs are in violation of state law.Gun free zones do not apply to CPL holders carrying openly. The Credit union should be made aware of this.Education of the law is the whole reason we carry openly.
Private property trumps state law. Just because you OC in a pistol free zone with a CPL you must still follow private property rules. If they do not want you to carry, there is nothing you can do about it. If you do not leave, or continue to carry after being told not to you open yourself up to trespassing charges.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

khicks wrote:
i under stand that the holster was empty. if he was going to look for a new cu, i just thought that he should be aware, that all of the cu in flint are criminal safe zones if it was me i would be talking to the branch manager about this as well as the board of directors if it would do any good.
I don't knowwho Packinheatmiinoh's credit union is, however, as far as Financial Plus goes, forget it. MCRGO already went down that road with them and they are not going to budge.

conservative85

imported post

khicks wrote:
My CU does not have a sign, and I open carry in the one in Swartz Creek, & on Vanslyke. second I'd like to remind all Credit union MEMBERS um you are a share holder.... Let your voice be heard.

PM me if you would like to shop at my CU :celebrate

conservative85

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
thekunk47 wrote:
Private property trumps state law. Just because you OC in a pistol free zone with a CPL you must still follow private property rules. If they do not want you to carry, there is nothing you can do about it. If you do not leave, or continue to carry after being told not to you open yourself up to trespassing charges.
All he is saying is that the sign alone means nothing, you have to be asked to leave by the Owner first. You can not be charged with ignoring the sign. Private property trumps state law on possession only just a lil reminder on that.

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Flint School Employees Credit Union does not prohibit guns. They removed their signs last year after I emailed them about it. They had a board meeting and discussed it and decided it would be beneficial to their business to remove their anti-gun policy. I've carried in there many times. I don't recall if I have OCd at FSECU but next time I am there, I won't hesitate to OC. I've OCed at National City in Hartland.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Graydon wrote:
SNIP They removed their signs last year after I emailed them about it. They had a board meeting and discussed it and decided it would be beneficial to their business to remove their anti-gun policy.
Is that a 'nice' way of saying you have huge sums on deposit? :D