• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

trans port while open carry

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

ok, so i have read the law on carrying a firearm in your vehicle several times, and am hoping someone can clarify it for me as i still am not sure. The way it reads with the peacable journey etc, you can carry a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment of your car. is that any where in the passenger side? on the seat? in the glove box? in the center console? does that mean it is illegal to leave it in the holster on your hip while driving? i am confident when i am OCing, and am confident in my knowledge of the laws in that area, but not so confident when i am driving. It would be great if someone could give a definitive answer on this so I know that I am doing it correctly ALL the time.

Carnivore

imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
ok, so i have read the law on carrying a firearm in your vehicle several times, and am hoping someone can clarify it for me as i still am not sure. The way it reads with the peacable journey etc, you can carry a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment of your car. is that any where in the passenger side? on the seat? in the glove box? in the center console? does that mean it is illegal to leave it in the holster on your hip while driving? i am confident when i am OCing, and am confident in my knowledge of the laws in that area, but not so confident when i am driving. It would be great if someone could give a definitive answer on this so I know that I am doing it correctly ALL the time.

In Missouri, anywhere in your vehicle and on your person, up to the point you exit the vehicle, then Local Ordinances as to where you are will take over unless you have a CCW permit, and the firearm is in fact concealed, But if you were to get pulled over by a cop, and asked to step out of the vehicle, I personally would inform the cop that you have a holstered firearm and wait further instructions from said officer instead of reaching for your gun without informing the officer beforehand..

patriotthad

imported post

The weapon can be concealed or open anywhere in the vehicle no permit required. I assume you are 21. The peaceable journey has nothing to do with Mo residents.

RSMO 571.030 sec 1 ss (1) then sec 3 ss (3)

Superlite27

imported post

You can carry a gun in any way, shape, or form, no matter where you are from, while in your car in Missouri. You can tape it to your forehead, if you like. Loaded or unloaded. (Although, without bullets, it's only a really cool looking paperweight.)

But....

...this is only true if you are legally allowed to be in posession of the firearm.

Article1section23

imported post

patriotthad wrote:
The weapon can be concealed or open anywhere in the vehicle no permit required. I assume you are 21. The peaceable journey has nothing to do with Mo residents.

RSMO 571.030 sec 1 ss (1) then sec 3 ss (3)
Patriot, this is an incorrect statement. Please read case law on this subject.

Carnivore

imported post

No open carry in ParkHills, leadington, or Farmington.. my three neighboring towns to the south. Traveling north, I'm pretty sure Desloge, Bonne Terre do allow open carry, but I try best not to patronize those 2 communities.

When I leave the house i drive through Leadington and head 40 miles north, My gun always stays in the car storage, because my first stop is in Leadington and I don't care to unholster my first mile from the house. my next stop is at work, so armed? Yes, Carrying on my person? No.

CCW on the way, then I might take the time to carry on my person all the way to work.

Article1section23

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
No open carry in ParkHills, leadington, or Farmington.. my three neighboring towns to the south. Traveling north, I'm pretty sure Desloge, Bonne Terre do allow open carry, but I try best not to patronize those 2 communities.

When I leave the house i drive through Leadington and head 40 miles north, My gun always stays in the car storage, because my first stop is in Leadington and I don't care to unholster my first mile from the house. my next stop is at work, so armed? Yes, Carrying on my person? No.

CCW on the way, then I might take the time to carry on my person all the way to work.
Carnivore...can you cite to the leadington ordinance?

Riverrat, here are some links to help you look things up. Sometimes, you have to go read the ordinance at city hall or in the city library (you will have to do this for leadington). Welcome to the forum.

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/MO_St.Francois.htm

http://www.municode.com/Resources/code_list.asp?stateID=25

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/codes-slp/

Carnivore

imported post

No I can't find a link that goes to Leadington Ordinances, but will go one better, since I opened my mouth.. I'll go over to their city hall and get someone to run off a copy for me, probably Friday,

Article1section23

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
No I can't find a link that goes to Leadington Ordinances, but will go one better, since I opened my mouth.. I'll go over to their city hall and get someone to run off a copy for me, probably Friday,

Great...I think you will find it's ok...but let us know....Thanks!

Carnivore

imported post

Well here's what I got from the Cheif of police, I went to their little cityhall, and asked the secretary if I could have a copy of a particular ordinance,

She replied sure what ordinance do you have in mind

I said anything you have concerning possession of firearms, open carry of firearms, discharge of firearms.

about that time the cheif walked in, so I asked him if I could legally carry my sidearm in the same manner in which you do, ie. opencarry?

He replied sure, anybody can, as long as you're legal to own one, and you do it in a responsible manner, all I ask is that if a business has a no weapons sign on their door, out of common courtesy respect their wishes, or if I get a call, you will get a tresspassing citation if I can't talk you out of it with the business owner..

I said great, thanks for your time, and have a good day, then the secretary brought out to me a copy of this ordinance, which doesn't explain it as cut and dried as the cheif explained to me verbally..

scan0001-9.jpg

Article1section23

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Well here's what I got from the Cheif of police, I went to their little cityhall, and asked the secretary if I could have a copy of a particular ordinance,
Good to hear....I assume that the chief is still Cledith Wakefield....not sure though and last I heard he had a charge of against him.

Carnivore

imported post

Yep C. W., I did hear something about a year or so ago, can't remember exactly what it was..

I missed your link, that is what I remember hearing, I ain't ever had any problems with any of the officers over there.